Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Japanese Cheese Cake(recipe and pic by Small Cookie)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My cheesecake has 2 layers. The bottom layer is hard and the top layer is soft. Can someone advise me what happened?

cecilia
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you wait too long before you started baking your cake? your cake mix could have separated.

maybe you didn't mix the ingredients well enuff so the heavy cheese sunk to botton and eg whites float to the top?

the water in the water bath needs to be boiling hot. or else the bottom of the cake will cook slower than the rest.

did your cake pan leak?
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papercook wrote:
did you wait too long before you started baking your cake? your cake mix could have separated.

maybe you didn't mix the ingredients well enuff so the heavy cheese sunk to botton and eg whites float to the top?

the water in the water bath needs to be boiling hot. or else the bottom of the cake will cook slower than the rest.

did your cake pan leak?

I think papercook is right. You might not have mixed the mixture well and on the otherhand, you might have beaten the egg white too stiff. Can you recall if the egg white is too stiff? If the egg white is too stiff, it will not blend well with the cheese mixture and you might get a harden base.
cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

My pan did leaked and it took a long time to mix egg whites and the cheese mixtures together, so I think I mixed them well. As for the water, I did use boiling water.

So it could be I over beat the egg whites or I took too long to mixed the 2 mixtures together or I forget to pre-heat the oven.... so many possibilities.

If I'm using the KA mixer, what speed and how long shd I beat the egg whites?

Cecilia
cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pls ignore the above message. I type too fast and didn't edit it...full of mistakes.

hi,

My pan did not leaked. I took a long time to mix the egg whites and cheese mixture together, so I think I mixed them quite well. As for the water, I did use boiling water.

So it could be I over-beat the egg whites or I took too long to mixed the 2 mixtures together or I forget to pre-heat the oven.... so many possibilities.

Cecilia
small cookie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilia wrote:
Pls ignore the above message. I type too fast and didn't edit it...full of mistakes.

hi,

My pan did not leaked. I took a long time to mix the egg whites and cheese mixture together, so I think I mixed them quite well. As for the water, I did use boiling water.

So it could be I over-beat the egg whites or I took too long to mixed the 2 mixtures together or I forget to pre-heat the oven.... so many possibilities.

Cecilia

Hi Cecilia, perhaps I can share my success on this recipe.

I just did a quick mix for the white egg and cheese mixture. I heard that we shld not mixed too long or else the egg white will "lose air".

I did not have to add hot water. I just used normal tap water for the bath.

I can't answer the last question coz' mine is Kenwood.
ponine
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Edith,

I did it but decorate it this way. Very nice, presentable but very wasteful..the surrounding area are just bits n pieces left over. I think this is only great to show off to guests!

Hi Gina!

Your cake looks so pretty and classy! I want to make a Japanese-styled cheesecake but mine would be bigger ( about 7 inches ) as a birthday gift. Am wondering how i should go about decorating it! I love how classy yours one look. BUt would it look too plain for a bigger-szie cake?

By the way, did you use cocoa powder from Poon Huat ? Very Happy
Ms You
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Small Cookie

I like to try baking the Japanese Cheese Cake but I'm not too sure what is superfine flour, is it the same as top flour?? Can tell me where to buy it??

I seldom bake because don't have an oven but I have bought one & will be delivering to me very soon.

Thanks for your help & time.

Blessings :lol:
Ms You
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponine wrote:

Hi Gina!

Your cake looks so pretty and classy! I want to make a Japanese-styled cheesecake but mine would be bigger ( about 7 inches ) as a birthday gift. Am wondering how i should go about decorating it! I love how classy yours one look. BUt would it look too plain for a bigger-szie cake?

Oh I just saw this..sorry about replying so late Embarassed

the chocolate powder I used was bought from Sum Lik(near Raffles Hotel). what you can do is to sieve the chocolate powder over the cake top. Or you use a stencil with words like A Gift for You or have pretty flowers on it. Then sieve icing sugar over it. then remove the stencil.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
small cookie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms You wrote:
Hi Small Cookie

I like to try baking the Japanese Cheese Cake but I'm not too sure what is superfine flour, is it the same as top flour?? Can tell me where to buy it??

I seldom bake because don't have an oven but I have bought one & will be delivering to me very soon.

Thanks for your help & time.

Blessings :lol:
Ms You

You can replace with cake flour. Avail in any supermarket.
ponine
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
ponine wrote:

Hi Gina!

Oh I just saw this..sorry about replying so late Embarassed

the chocolate powder I used was bought from Sum Lik(near Raffles Hotel). what you can do is to sieve the chocolate powder over the cake top. Or you use a stencil with words like A Gift for You or have pretty flowers on it. Then sieve icing sugar over it. then remove the stencil.

Hi Gina!

No problem at all for the late reply! I love your suggestion! I think i wanna try that and bake a cake for my friend birthday!

By the way, where exactly is Sum Lik ? I want to get some nice cocoa powder :p

And do i get stencil from phoon phuat ? any other baking accessories shops you know of ?

Thanks so much ! Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponine

Actually the stencils I used were for artwork/craftwork. Bought from ArtFriend(Bras Basah Complex). they have many many designs.

the shop I mentioned is facing Raffles Hotel. I don't have the actual address.

the other Baking shop is at The Adelphi, 2nd floor. Chong Trading. You can find out the details at Where to Get This? section.

if too troublesome, I sometimes use Cadbury's Drinking chocolate powder to sieve over the cake top. Works too coffee

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Yaha
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponine wrote:

By the way, where exactly is Sum Lik ? I want to get some nice cocoa powder :p

Here's the details of Sun Lik.
Sun Lik Trading Pte Ltd
33 Seah Street, Singapore 188389.
[They are behind Raffles Hotel]
Tel: 63380980

Opening Hours: Mon - Fri 8.30am ~ 6.30pm
Sat - 8.30am ~ 6pm
Closed on Sundays & Public Holidays
sfongyy
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papercook wrote:
Towards end of baking.... nice height.

After an hour cooling in the oven... shrunken :cry:

Still edible

I tried this recipe for 3 times, and I got the same result (Second trial is a bit better, but still flat). :cry: :cry: Don't know what's wrong with it?

By the way, is Japanese Cheesecake and Cotton Cheesecake the same thing?

Thank you very much for your help!!
Ms You
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Small cookie for your information. Very Happy
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried this recipe for 3 times, and I got the same result (Second trial is a bit better, but still flat). Don't know what's wrong with it?

By the way, is Japanese Cheesecake and Cotton Cheesecake the same thing?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Hi,

Haven't had a chance to make this again. but lets see what could be wrong. maybe the others will know.

when u say flat does it mean the cake doesn't rise during baking or it collapses when cool?
Which recipe did u use?
have you read thru the thread? Florence has got some really good tips.
sfongyy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi,

Haven't had a chance to make this again. but lets see what could be wrong. maybe the others will know.

when u say flat does it mean the cake doesn't rise during baking or it collapses when cool?
Which recipe did u use?
have you read thru the thread? Florence has got some really good tips.

Hi. Thanks for your reply! Very Happy Very Happy

The recipe I used is the Japanese Souffle Cheesecake recipe from Kyoko's Kitchen.

Ya, it did rise nicely in the oven, but once the heat was off, the cake just started to shrink, to the height of the mixture before it was put into the oven.

I did read thru this thread, but most of people tried the original recipe posted here.
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i think there maybe some problems with Kyoko's recipe. There are a few instructions that aren't quite clear. If you read the postings on her site there a lot of others with similar problems. And plenty of people offering fixes.

i intend to try the recipe posted here. The number of eggs used might make a difference.

good luck
sfongyy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Ya, I may do the same. My fren found another recipe for me. So, may try both recipes.

Good Luck to you too! Smile
jasie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I baked this a few days ago (the one from small cookie), and it was awesome! Smile Cake didn't shrink much.. but that might be because it was ALL GONE even before it totally cooled. Had no time to even snap a picture of it. Haha. I left it in the oven for 15 mins with the heat off after the time was up, and then opened the door a crack and let it cool so that water wouldn't condense on it for another 30 mins... YUM! Baking another one right now so I can bring it to class potluck tomorrow.. adding another 1-2 tablespoons of lemonjuice this time. Smile Thanks alot for the awesome recipe.
Jennifer
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to bake this cheesecake last saturday, the picture was taken just out of oven. I'm still in doubt whether the cake is in the correct texture or not, it's a bit 'wet/moist' after about 1hr 15min baking. Does the cake need chilling? I've read that all cheese cake need chilling before eating it. And I did chill it for a few hours to see the difference (no picture to show), its more firm after chilled.
Need advise from experts.

pusiva
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by pusiva on Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
papercook
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennifer wrote:
I try to bake this cheesecake last saturday, the picture was taken just out of oven. I'm still in doubt whether the cake is in the correct texture or not, it's a bit 'wet/moist' after about 1hr 15min baking. Does the cake need chilling? I've read that all cheese cake need chilling before eating it. And I did chill it for a few hours to see the difference (no picture to show), its more firm after chilled.

I think one of the important ways of learning to cook is a taste test. Very Happy

good reason to go out a buy one. that way u have an idea what the recipe is trying to achieve. Think most of us trying for the Miki Ojisan or Fiesta feel. Anyone tried out those Bonjour cheese cakes thay are selling in NTUC?

Well my opinion is that the cheesecake taste better after chilling over night.
Jennifer
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks papercook for your advise,

Yes, was trying to achieve the fiesta cheesecake texture, maybe too ambitious for a novice baker like myself, but hubby said the cake taste was correct. Will try next time if got the time.
small cookie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papercook wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

I think one of the important ways of learning to cook is a taste test. Very Happy

good reason to go out a buy one. that way u have an idea what the recipe is trying to achieve. Think most of us trying for the Miki Ojisan or Fiesta feel. Anyone tried out those Bonjour cheese cakes thay are selling in NTUC?

Well my opinion is that the cheesecake taste better after chilling over night.

I have tried Bonjour, I personally finds that it has an aftertaste. Maybe it is due to my sensitive taste bud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Say Cheese! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: