Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Tau Sar Beng(recipe and pic)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tthksy
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Tau Sar Beng(recipe and pic) Reply with quote

Edited by Gina:
I've edited your photo to make it larger. And also corrected the colours(too much blue in it..could be due to not enough lighting, the digicam often does a quick colour shot). I used the Photoshop software to even out the hues of blue and green and post it here for you. Will email to you the modified version. Do reload it here for your posted recipe.

Dough A

230 g Flour
130 g oil

Dough B

460 g Flour
250 g Oil
180 g water
1 tsp vinegar

Filling
180 g oil
10 - 15 shallots - thinly sliced
300 g sugar
3 tsp salt
3 tsp white pepper
600 g mung beans

Method
1. Soak the beans for at least 2 hours, steamed and mashed.
2. Add sugar, salt & white pepper to the mashed beans.
3. Heat oil, fry the shallots till brown and fragrant
4. Pour in the bean mixture. Fry till mixture dry and can make into a ball. Divide filling into 100 pieces.

5. Mix A, Divide into 100 pieces
6. Mix B, Divide into 100 pieces
7. Wrap B around A. flatten it and roll it up. Flatten again and roll up.
8. Flatten and wap the filling in it.
9. Brush with egg, top with sesame seed.
10. Bake - 350 F for 10-15 mins.
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tthsky,

Rolling of the dough as in rolling of swiss roll right?
tthksy
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Florence,

It is like swiss roll. This is to get the flaky skin. My SIL gave the recipe through the phone, so not sure how to write out the steps. Usually I only roll it up twice.
fion
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I check where can I get the mung beans?
Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tthksy,

Thanks for posting the recipe. Your picture of tau sar beng looks so good. My mom always bought a few boxes when we visited Penang ages ago, your picture brought back the memory for me. Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fion wrote:
Can I check where can I get the mung beans?

Fion

the mung beans is also known as the yellow split beans which is used in making tau suan or making the Ang Koo kuih fillings.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,

How to do the Photoshop colour changes ar?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence

I teached Photoshop too..besides Cooking! coffee Anyway, you need to understand about colour on computer screens and how to manipulate them.

What I do as idiot-proof and leaving it to the Photoshop to figure out for me is to use Auto Levels(found in Image...Adjust). If that doesn't work, then I manually adjust by using Variations(Image...Adjust). The thing is I know how the food colour in real life is supposed to look like. So when I used Variations to adjust the colour, I just do it enough to get the right hue.

In Variations, you can adjust HUES and Contrast.

And if you take a photo with the flash on, sometimes its overexposed. You can use Photoshop to do an Auto Colour and Auto Contrast to bring the photo back to normal.

fion
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tk you so much Gina!!! I almost thought nobody is going to reply my query liao...
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Florence

I teached Photoshop too..besides Cooking! coffee Anyway, you need to understand about colour on computer screens and how to manipulate them.

What I do as idiot-proof and leaving it to the Photoshop to figure out for me is to use Auto Levels(found in Image...Adjust). If that doesn't work, then I manually adjust by using Variations(Image...Adjust). The thing is I know how the food colour in real life is supposed to look like. So when I used Variations to adjust the colour, I just do it enough to get the right hue.

In Variations, you can adjust HUES and Contrast.

And if you take a photo with the flash on, sometimes its overexposed. You can use Photoshop to do an Auto Colour and Auto Contrast to bring the photo back to normal.

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the tips. Cross checking over the manual (which is in Chinese and software in English) so have problems understanding!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence

yeah..I know..the manuals in HK are often in chinese! and the software is always in English!!

Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Tau Sar Beng that I made this afternoon. Thanks tthksy for the recipe. By the way, do you have the recipe for sweet mung bean filling as I have sweet tooth and I didn't realize this is the salty kind until I tasted it. Still good though. The skin is soft and flaky. However I ended out with lots of leftover mung bean paste (in the freezer now) and also I had to bake mine for 30 mins.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belachan

me impressed leh..! with your young baby you still find time to make this. coffee seems to me its alot of work. How many did you make? Aren't you showing off at buddies.net? coffee

hugbear
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balachan, very pretty tau sar beng.
Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina and Hugbear! Very Happy

I cut the recipe in half and made 32 balls. I think mine is bigger than her that's why it takes 30 mins to bake. I made the filling the night before and made the rest the next day while she was napping. Oh yeah...it's quite a lot of work, mixing the dough together and rolling and stuff...but I guess my cravings for this after seeing the picture is really strong. :lol:

Gina, should I post it at mybuddies? Dunno leh... not my recipe and not sure if tthksy mind or not eventhough she is fully credited of course. Tthksy, do you mind? I have to give recipe when I post right? Or not?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belachan

show off pictures should be okay. If members want to learn, then have to come here and learn. becoz the 'owner' is the best person to answer any queries about making the dish. coffee

Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made half portion of the recipe and I got 40 pieces.

Dough A = 4g or slightly less than 1/2 tsp
Dough B = 12g
Filling = 16g

Dough A reduced oil from 130g to 115g (easier to handle).
Dough B reduced oil from 250g to 220g.

My pastry skin is thin but if you like thicker pastry skin you can try 5g of dough A with 15g of dough B and 15g - 16g of filling.

I did not make any changes to the filling and the filling is very nice.

I bake for 20 minutes at 175C in the middle rack then 10 minutes at 200C on the upper rack just to get the nice golden colour. ** This is for my oven only. Please double check your own oven temperature. **

Thank you tthksy for posting such a nice recipe. I ate 3 pieces for tea break with a cup of hot honey tea...yum...yum...yummy!

Last edited by Florence on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Florence, your tau sar beng looks even nicer, no cracks one.

Btw, did you have a lot of leftover filling or just me? Oh, I forgot to add...since I'm lazy I didn't divide the dough into portions first, just use my hand to grab one piece of this and one piece of that. Did you roll yours with a rolling pin or just by hand? Since I'm lazy again, I followed tthksy and only roll it once instead of twice (hand roll). Do you think it makes any difference?
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belachan wrote:
WOW Florence, your tau sar beng looks even nicer, no cracks one.

Btw, did you have a lot of leftover filling or just me? Oh, I forgot to add...since I'm lazy I didn't divide the dough into portions first, just use my hand to grab one piece of this and one piece of that. Did you roll yours with a rolling pin or just by hand? Since I'm lazy again, I followed tthksy and only roll it once instead of twice (hand roll). Do you think it makes any difference?

I use 300g mung beans and have a lot left as well.

I did use the rolling pin and rolled my dough swiss roll style twice.
I use rolling pin to roll the dough ball into long rectangular shape then roll up like swiss roll, make a 90-degree right turn, flatten it into long rectangular shape then roll up like swiss roll again.

I think you should divide the 2 doughs into proportions otherwise too much or too little of each dough might cause cracks. From your pic, not all bengs have cracks...might be one of the reasons.

I also made adjustments to the the baking temperature and time. Mine needed 10 minutes at 200C on the upper rack to get the golden brown colour. I did that because after 20 minutes at 175C, the bengs were still pale in colour.
Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for answering my questions! Great help! Very Happy
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belachan wrote:
Thank you for answering my questions! Great help! Very Happy

While exercising on the bike just now, I read a Chinese book on this kind of pastry and it seems that after mixing the Dough A ingredients and Dough B ingredients you should leave this 2 dough to prove/rest for 30 minutes in a sealed bowl. That is, cover the bowl with a wet towel to prevent the dough from drying up. This way, the pastry skin will be smooth and have no cracks.

Looking back on baking this yesterday, I did rest the 2 doughs for more than 30 minutes because after mixing the doughs, I went on to fry the filling before I do the wrapping of dough A and dough B and then the rolling.

Ha...ha, so that why my pastry skin is smooth! Bonus by mistake! Usually one will cook the filling first!!!
tthksy
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Belachan & Florence,

Usually I will divide everything, filling, dough A & B. Then that way I won't have any left overs. If you don't like the white pepper, you can omit it. You can also use black sesame seeds to decorate. Also, I keep some in the fridge, heat it up when u wants to eat.
Very happy everyone is enjoying the tau sar beng.

Also thanks to Gina for having this forum. I enjoy it every much. I'm a FTWM with 3 kids ( 11,9,19 mths), so not much free time to bake. Only bake when the kids request.

Yvonne
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tthksy wrote:
Hi Belachan & Florence,

Usually I will divide everything, filling, dough A & B. Then that way I won't have any left overs. If you don't like the white pepper, you can omit it. You can also use black sesame seeds to decorate. Also, I keep some in the fridge, heat it up when u wants to eat.
Very happy everyone is enjoying the tau sar beng.

Also thanks to Gina for having this forum. I enjoy it every much. I'm a FTWM with 3 kids ( 11,9,19 mths), so not much free time to bake. Only bake when the kids request.

Yvonne

Oh tthksy! You must be real busy! Your youngest is only 19 months old. Do you have anyone to help you along? You are so clever, manage to squeeze time to bake for the kids. Having 3 is already handsful.

Anyway, do stir up more home town dishes!

Looking forward to see more of your bakings.
kelly
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made more than 70 tau sar beng yesterday, my hubby's family came last night, and they love it. I let them eat one tin, and his sis even bought home one tin.

Now, I left with 3 tins, 2 for my mum and sis, one for ourselves.
The only problem that I encounter is when I mix dough A, I need a lot more than 230g flour with 115g oil to form into ball.

Overall, I find that the filling is superb and the beng is very flaky and delicious.

Thanks to tthksy! Very Happy
mycoffee
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this yesterday. For me, it was harder than I thought but then that's because initially, I was not used to handling and wrapping the dough. So I took a long time during preparation. Had a bit of a problem weighing dough A so I gave up trying to and instead just estimated the portion that is required. Ended up having extra dough A in the end! I only managed about 32 pcs. Also for a quick & easy way, I used store-bought Red Bean paste (black sesame seeds) and Lotus paste (white sesame seeds). I rested the dough (like what Florence suggested) and I see no crack in the dough after baking.

Overall I must say that I like them a lot (mine were quite crispy). My family and friends too, based on their compliments. Thanks so much for the recipe and to Florence too, for your suggestions .
________
Straight-4 engine

Last edited by mycoffee on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: