Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Tau Sar Beng(recipe and pic)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyCoffee:

I love the contrast of black sesame seeds and white, look very nice. Now I finally get to use the packet of black sesame seeds that I bought but never open. :lol:

Now, I know to rest my dough first, thanks to Florence. It's quite tricky to wrap the filling inside the dough isn't it? I like the pastry too, I gave some to a friend and she said the pastry tasted like restaurant made. Very Happy
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycoffee wrote:

Tried this yesterday. For me, it was harder than I thought but then that's because initially, I was not used to handling and wrapping the dough. So I took a long time during preparation. Had a bit of a problem weighing dough A so I gave up trying to and instead just estimated the portion that is required. Ended up having extra dough A in the end! I only managed about 32 pcs. Also for a quick & easy way, I used store-bought Red Bean paste (black sesame seeds) and Lotus paste (white sesame seeds). I rested the dough (like what Florence suggested) and I see no crack in the dough after baking.

Overall I must say that I like them a lot (mine were quite crispy). My family and friends too, based on their compliments. Thanks so much for the recipe and to Florence too, for your suggestions .

Hi mycoffee,

Yours must taste good with all those different fillings. Did you reduce oil as I did, so that the dough will be easier to handle?

Taste of this TauSarBeng is really good right? Next time you should try it with the mung bean fillings.
Idah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tthksy,

Thanks for the lovely tau sar beng recipe. Yummy...

Cheers
mycoffee
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florence wrote:

Hi mycoffee,

Yours must taste good with all those different fillings. Did you reduce oil as I did, so that the dough will be easier to handle?

Taste of this TauSarBeng is really good right? Next time you should try it with the mung bean fillings.

Hi Florence,
Thanks, yes I have to admit that they are rather good! Yes, I reduced the oil like you suggested (and I halved the recipe too). I think I still can reduce further next time. How is the texture for Dough A suppose to be like? Mine is like a wet paste. Not "watery" wet but wet as in it is rather impossible to roll into a ball of dough. In the end, I just used a pinch or about 1/2 tsp before wrapping it with Dough B. Rolled 3 times before adding filling.
________
Orlando

Last edited by mycoffee on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
alyssa
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious... is there any particular reason why we need to wrap the dough individually? i.e. does it affect the texture etc? B'cos I was just thinking it might be easier to roll out the entire batch of the straight dough (Dough B) then wrap the entire short dough (Dough A) inside, roll it out, fold and roll again etc. Then after resting, can just divide and add the filling. Do you think that will save more work? Or does it affect the texture of the final piah?
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycoffee wrote:
Florence wrote:

Hi mycoffee,

Hi Florence,
Thanks, yes I have to admit that they are rather good! Yes, I reduced the oil like you suggested (and I halved the recipe too). I think I still can reduce further next time. How is the texture for Dough A suppose to be like? Mine is like a wet paste. Not "watery" wet but wet as in it is rather impossible to roll into a ball of dough. In the end, I just used a pinch or about 1/2 tsp before wrapping it with Dough B. Rolled 3 times before adding filling.

Mine is also a wet paste, that is why in my comment I said 4g or nearly 1/2 tsp 'cos couldn't mould it into a ball shape.

Dough is wet because we used corn oil instead of shortening. If you use Crisco all vegetable shortening then you can shape it into a ball.
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alyssa wrote:
Just curious... is there any particular reason why we need to wrap the dough individually? i.e. does it affect the texture etc? B'cos I was just thinking it might be easier to roll out the entire batch of the straight dough (Dough B) then wrap the entire short dough (Dough A) inside, roll it out, fold and roll again etc. Then after resting, can just divide and add the filling. Do you think that will save more work? Or does it affect the texture of the final piah?

Hi alyssa,

Went through several cook books and most of them roll them individually.

Maybe next time, you can use 1/4 of the portion for the rolling the entire batch and the other 1/4 of it for rolling individually and let us know the result.
wink
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at all these beng's just made me drool...I am gonna make a date to make this. Wish me luck!
mycoffee
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think I can substitute the flour with either superfine flour or high-ratio flour?
________
vaporizer

Last edited by mycoffee on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ilovebaking
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I've tried the tau sai piah y'day but i fail in my mung bean filling.... i steam it for 20 mins without any water in the bean. It came out not too soft and I can't smash it really into a paste.... where do I go wrong?

1. Is water needed when steaming the mung beans? How much if it is needed?

2. How long should I steam the beans?

3. Do I need to blend it again after smashing it?

For all the baking Experts advice pls.... Tks
yangone
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the Tau Sar Beng. I use shortening instead of oil for the dough. Thanks tthksy's for your wonderful recipe !

Quote:
i steam it for 20 mins without any water in the bean. It came out not too soft and I can't smash it really into a paste.... where do I go wrong?

ilovebaking, did you soak the beans first before steaming? I put the beans on the dish and steam at high fire for 20mins. Came out ok and I'm able to mash it up.
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pai siah to ask, is mung bean green or yellow on the outside ? Embarassed
Florence
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:
Pai siah to ask, is mung bean green or yellow on the outside ? Embarassed

mung bean is yellow on the outside!
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Florence Smile
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went shopping for mung bean this morning to make 'tau sa pang', the mung beans here are green on the outside. If somebody have some mung beans in their pantry, can you please take a photo so I can see what it looks like ? Embarassed :roll: Please ....
piggish
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried making these yesterday and i found it really fun to make! the first time i tried 'swiss rolling' pastry..and i'm quite happy with the results! love the mung bean filling..and my friend loves the pastry Very Happy thanks for the great recipe and tips!

sinner, i've seen mung beans here that are green on the outside as well...think it's coz they haven't removed the 'skin' completely...the yellow mung beans would look exactly the same except they're yellow...sorry no photos to help u Embarassed
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh piggish, you are making me so green with envy ! Mr. Green Is the yellow mung bean you bought 'whole' or 'split' ? I am still hoping somebody will post a pic of yellow mung bean.
dish
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pix of Yellow Split Peas

sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dish, you have made my day a very happy one ! Razz :lol: I know what to buy now. Thank you, thank you......
piggish
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner, good luck making the tau sar pia! hope u have as much fun as i did! Very Happy
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made this yesterday. It was yummy :lol: . Followed Florence suggestion for dough size. Even hubby who is not a fan of asian bisc & cakes, likes it Razz . Thanks tthksy for the recipe and also to everybody for their help. Smile
hugbear
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed to try out this recipe. I made half recipe and managed to get only 38 pcs.

Dough A = 5 gm
Dough B = 15 gm
Filling = 16 gm

Last edited by hugbear on Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
learningcooking
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ttksy...

My first attempt on this and although a bit "burnt" (hehe i was following florence's steps by placing in the middle rack then top rack for browning process and coz i was busy talking to a friend then...didn't monitor it closely...) comments from my friends is still positive hehe

I am so glad finally i can bake something that my DH is interested...whenever i bake cakes/muffins, he just take a bite when i ask him to and the rest is for me to finish up Embarassed

I bit tiring doing it although it was just 32 balls i yield after halfing ttksy's recipe...i'm sure gona do it again...

Thanks again ttksy
Stef Wink
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all at KC,

I'm Angie, just joined this wonderful forum. Papercook suggested I post my question here. I wanted to initially, but was worried that no one is coming into this thread as the last post was in August.

I made some Tau Sar Beng yesterday, using tthksy's recipe and Florence's modifications. They turned out wonderful! Thanks to both of them! I have one question though, I noticed that dough B is very oily. After I rested the dough for 30mins, I found oil at the bottom of the bowl. And as I divide and shape the dough, I can see oil coming out too. Anyone encountered this, or did I miss out something?

Would appreciate any advice from the experts!
Belachan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Coxiella,

I don't think I encountered that problem, but I made it ages ago. So perhaps Rusti can answer your question better since she just made it yesterday.

Anyway, if you find it too much oil, you can always add a little less next time. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: