Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Nonya Kaya(recipe by tthksy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genevie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

I tried the Hainanese Kaya Recipe, but I half all the ingredients... the outcome was very sad sad It was not fragrant and slightly wetter than normal. Not sure what and where went wrong. so how?

Can you help enlighten me? Thanks.

Genevie
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genevie wrote:
Hi Gina

I tried the Hainanese Kaya Recipe, but I half all the ingredients... the outcome was very sad sad It was not fragrant and slightly wetter than normal. Not sure what and where went wrong. so how?

Can you help enlighten me? Thanks.

Genevie

genevie

how did you cook it ? in a wok or slow cooker or double boil or breadmaker style?

because each style will affect the texture.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
genevie
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

Yes, I tried and this time, I used a wok. The result was perfect! I added pandan juice to give it a thicker aroma.... LOVE IT!!! love u Thanks!!! thumbs up[/img]
lilian2000
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: kaya Reply with quote

after reading so many of you are successful with the recipe...i tried mine yesterday using the breadmaker jam function..but my final product is not smooth and is quite watery...i blend it with the mixer but still end up not smooth nor sticky...anyone have any idea what went wrong?
jc_mum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lilian2000,

I just made another batch yesterday. After it's done in the bread maker, it's lumpy and there is sugar water. I used a stick mixer to blend mine. After blending, it's more liquid, but when put in the freezer, it will be more firm up.
devoted mum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, my very good friend (not a member of this forum) shared this recipe with me this afternoon. Then, I read this thread! I must try especially after reading all the success stories. I will use my slow cooker & just sit back & relax while waiting for the delicious kaya that melts in the mouth. This would make hubby a very happy man as he loves kaya! Hope mine turn out well!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ctchok2004@yahoo.com
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just joined this forum recently and decided to try out the kaya recipe by using ordinary rice cooker yesterday. That was my first time cooking kaya.

I've bought a coconut and extracted its milk. The coconut milk was a bit watery. Perhaps should soak the shredded coconut with water a bit longer. I just whisked with other ingredients for a while and then cooked them in the rice cooker.

Once the 'cook' button popped up, I had a shock when lifting up the rice cooker cover. That didn't look like kaya but more like lumpy steamed egg with some part being burnt & stuck to the rice cooker bowl. Decided not to follow the rest of steps but just blended the 'lumpy egg' after it has cooled down.

Managed to get the smooth texture but with dark brown burnt dots. Now it looks more like kaya. However, it is a bit dry but tasted good. Just like the kaya I love to eat.

Thanks for the recipe and cooking technique.
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my pandan flavoured kaya which i cook in double boil method. Took me 3 hours but worth every minute grin Its very smooth and delicious.

Pavilion8612
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so tempted and tried it too. Results was quite good and tasty but a bit too liquid.

Do I need to add plain flour to make it more gluey? Appreciate your advice.

Hope to try more new recipes here.

Thanks!
luvzbaking
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tthksy wrote:
Hi

this is a passed down recipe

1 cup coconut milk
1 cup eggs
2 cup sugar.

- Taste good but kinda sweet. I usually cut down the sugar. If you have pandan leaves, add them to the mixture, take out when cook. I cannot get it over here, so have to omit it.

I happened upon this slow cooker kaya thread last week and decided to try out tthksy's recipe, taking into account the various reviews, etc, of course Very Happy. I am so happy to report that I made it yesterday and it turned out to be one of the easiest and best kaya I've made (and I have made it using different methods, like the stove top, double boiler and microwave).

I adjusted recipe as follows :-
1 cup eggs
1 cup coconut cream (I just used canned ones as fresh coconut is difficult to get here in Melbourne)
1 1/2 cups white sugar (but I think I will try reducing it next time to 1 cup or at the most, 1 1/4 cups as it is quite sweet).
1 pandan leave (knotted)

Used a stick blender to blend all ingreadients (except pandan leave) and then sieve into crockpot bowl. Because my littly crockpot does not have temperature control, what I did was to zap this mixture in the microwave for 2 mins (zap 1 min, stir, zap another minute) just to give it a head start as I only started making it at nearly 5pm in the afternoon and didn't fancy staying up past midnight waiting for it to finish Cheeky grin. Then I just added in the pandan leave, turn crockpot on and about 6 hours later, turned crockpot off, remove pandan leave, gave it a whiz with the stick blender, voila, perfect kaya with a greenish tinge. Hubby asked how come not brown!! Mr. Green. But taste wise, lovely.

Am thinking that next time I might try caramelising the sugar and then diluting it with some coconut milk (hence cooling it) before beating in the eggs just to get the brown kaya grin. Anyone tried that before?
________
CX-5
________
ZOROASTRIANISM DICUSSION

Last edited by luvzbaking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
3princesses
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making kaya using a bread machine. The end result is usually lumpy. To get a smooth and creamy kaya, I would then blend the lumpy kaya using a blender.
cookingmonster
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think for the reddish brown kaya...you should use brown sugar instead.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cookingmonster wrote:
i think for the reddish brown kaya...you should use brown sugar instead.

actually, its not brown sugar. Its still the regular white sugar, slowly cook till it caramalises.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: