Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Seow Bak/Roast Pork (recipe and pic by various)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Red Meats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Seow Bak/Roast Pork (recipe and pic by various) Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm trying to roast seow bak for few times now, the problem that I face is how to made it cripsy in the centre of the skin. The edge are crispy as I want it, don't seem to get it right. When I attaned the cooking class my Shifu also roast the same matter n even bigger piece, still Okay.
.......Please help !!

Marinated the belly before roast.

After belly was roasted

Evil or Very Mad Look..... this what i get in the centre.....so pek check!!!

This one was another day when I used small piece.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewels

looks like oven at fault..maybe you need to rotate the meat around every 15 mins? With my Tefal oven, i need to do this rotation thing too or one side is very nicely done and the other side is half done.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina, I try it next time. Your're genius Very Happy
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewels,

This is the closest I got so far. You did not post your recipe so cannot compare
Chinese Roast Pork: by Sylvia Tan.

(For 6)

1kg belly pork with rind, uncut
1 tbsp salt (I found it very, very salty maybe it might be typing error, 1 tsp?)
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp five spice powder
Vegetable oil

Method
Dry fry the salt, pepper and five-spice powder in the wok for a few minutes. And rub all over the meat. Leave uncovered in the fridge overnight with the skin side up. This effectively fries out the skin and ensures a crisp crackling.

Before roasting, score rind in several places and rub oil all over it.

Hear oven to 200 deg C (fan-driven) and place pork, skin upwards, on a rack (or on thick slices of large onions) in a tray to allow the heat to circulate all round the meat.

Roast for 10 minutes to sear the meat, then turn down heat to 160 deg C and continue to roast for 1 hour. Increase heat to the maximum 250 deg C and roast for 15 minutes or until skin crackles.

Remove pork from oven; allow it to rest for half an hour and slice.

As ovens differ and sizes and even the thickness of meat play a part in roasting times, there is still one more trick to try if everything does not work. Grill the meat skin side up, under a hot grill, watching it all the time and the skin crackle. It works all the time Notes from Sylvia Tan.

Good luck.

Lena.
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lena,

My recipe is more like roasted pork , I think but I love the tast of it.
There are corriender, pepper, garlic, salt and on the skin are salt & baking soda. when we saw in cooking class it turn out evenly. So I think Gina was right, my oven is not powerful enough..

By the way i will try you recipe and let you know. Thank you for sharing.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewels

the roast duck I did recently, I had to remove the whole duck from the oven 2x just to rotate/turn around so that its evenly roasted. even then, i still get more burnt spots concentrated on one area.. :cry: the oven is too short..and the duck is very big..!

otherwise the duck is delicious! Razz

jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you Gina, my baby belling is to small. when i want to roast duck must go and look for small duck about 1.7 kg (where got meat!!)

I ever try to roast pork in microwave-comvection oven under grill, it brown nicely but must keep open the oven very few minutes and blow away smoke with fan so sick of it. I ever though of using the square tin (those put the biscuts or oil) to roast like hakwer... but afraid to burn my balcony :lol:
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewels wrote:
Agree with you Gina, my baby belling is to small. when i want to roast duck must go and look for small duck about 1.7 kg (where got meat!!)

I ever try to roast pork in microwave-comvection oven under grill, it brown nicely but must keep open the oven very few minutes and blow away smoke with fan so sick of it. I ever though of using the square tin (those put the biscuts or oil) to roast like hakwer... but afraid to burn my balcony :lol:

Jewels,
Somehow, I am not very good at using the microwave oven. Most of the time, I use the conventional section. I usually start at 200 deg C for 10 minutes than lower to 180 to cook and before I take out, turn to high again. Tobo Boiler is good for doing Roast Pork(Seow Bak) or Char Siew.
Your Seow Bak sounds interesting. Would mind sharing the recipe with us? Thanks.

Lena.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

1 tbsp salt and 2 tsp 5 spiced powder is about 40g of salt! 5 spiced powder has salt in it. Some brands have salt, some brands don't have. So you have to know which is which(or which brand you use for the 5 spiced powder)

jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena, no problem I will have to translate back to English first (don't know where is the original Mr. Green )... because I translate it in to Thai and post on other board for my friends, they love it. Give me 2 day.
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina. I will take note of the five-spice powder. Do you happen to know which brand has less salt? Thanks.

Naris. Thank you. I will be looking forward to your recipe.

Lena.
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lena,

Thanks for yr patience.

This recipe I learn from CC few year back the teacher is Helen Ong. But this what I'm already modify.

Roasted Pork
ingredients
2 kg belly pork
2 tsp. mince garlic......more if you like them
1 tsp, salt
2 tsp coriander seed (roast when cool, grind) or powder

ingredients to rub skin
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice / viniger ....... to remove pork smell
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Method
1. wash meat and pat dry. Score the meat side 1 1/2 inch wide, not to deep. Rub with ingredients well.
2. turn over skin side up, rub with lime juice. then combine salt and baking soda in a bowl and rub all over the skin for 5 minutes. Were glove if your hand sensitive. Then rest pork for 20 minutes
3. Heat oven at 200 C up (I'm using 250C) place meat part upward on top rack and roast for about 20 minutes (do not set timer, must mornitor it's depend on how thick your pork). When ready turn pork skin side up for 5 - 7 minutes. remove from oven
5. On boad place meat skin upward, prick in the pork with fork or needle. Return to oven and roast till skin bubbles or till crips.(during roasting if you want it to become crisp leave the oven door open 1/2 inch for hot air, smoke to escape and fresh air in). When achive the crips skin. Remove the pork and hang on the try for oil to dip down. Cool before slice.

Note:
- if skin brown unevenly, scrup the brown part with knife and return to oven....untill all even color.
- line the oven with foil and at the lower rack place aluminum tray to collect unwanted oil...(should put a little water in them to prevent smoke).
- If you want to make pork gravy, scoop few spoons of oil from tray early part of roasting before it turn black.
- to make pork gravy..... on the stove heat oil (from roasting pan) up a little fry some plain flour till fragrant add crush pepper then add water/soup stock, mix well and season to your teast with salt....

My sis-inlaw say my recipe so "Mah Fan" , I also fell the same but like the smell and it's delicious.

Quote:
I usually start at 200 deg C for 10 minutes than lower to 180 to cook and before I take out, turn to high again. Tobo Boiler is good for doing Roast Pork(Seow Bak) or Char Siew.

So next time I will try again but will "Leave uncovered in the fridge overnight with the skin side up. " and will try using your cooking method.
Thanks for sharing all this knowledge. Very Happy

Gina,
so sorry, we post the recipe here and knowing you have many things to do. should I transfer them to recipe section below or you can do it later. Thank you.
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naris,
Thank you for the Seow Bak recipe. I will give it a try one of these days. Thanks for the tips too.

Gina,
I am sorry if I give you more work in reposting my recipes. I will try to do it the right way the next time.
Thank You.

Lena.
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena, your welcome Very Happy I'm here to learn too n when I try it the next time will keep you update!!
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewels,
You may be interested to know that i had tried another recipe of the seow bak and i am very please with the result. I called and ask a friend of mine for her seow bak's recipe. she told me I do not need the recipe. She can teach how to do it. So taught me how to do it over the phone!
Here is it:

Ingredients
1 kg of belly pork
10 g of salt (2 level teaspoons of salt)
10 five-spice powder

Method:
1. Wash and clean the belly pork.
2. Season with salt all over the pork, the skin also.
3. Next season with the five-spice powder on the meat side only.
4. Cover with plastic bag and leave it overnight in the fridge

Heat the oven to 200 deg. Bake it for half hour. Take it out and use something sharp like a ice picker to poke the skin side. Poke as many holes as you can.
Bake again for another half hour. After this turn your oven to grill and grill the meat part for 15 minutes. Then turn up the skin side and grill for15 minute or until brown. By now you should see all the skin get pop up like the seow bak.

Happy trying.
mhawk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried a few times as well. Unfortunately, it is kind of hard to find pork with skin here in US (where I live anyway), so I haven't tried it for a long time.

I found that using something to poke the skin was an important part to create a crispy skin. Now, poking the holes was a lot of work!!! I heard there is actually a tool to do this. Since I didn't have the tool, so I used some syringes + needles and tied them together and it seemed to work okay. I found that rubbing oil to the skin while grilling help too.

I also heard (I haven't tried it) by holding up the pork and run some broiling water through the skin side (only the skin side) then dry the skin with fan for while will ensure crispy skin as well.
LILYNG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: roast pork Reply with quote

mhawk

which part of the us are you in. i am in denver colorado and i have to get belly pork from oriental or korean store. to poke the skin i use the craving fork and it works. try it
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lilyng

haven't heard of u for a loong loooong time. thanks for dropping by and share whenever you can. Wink

mhawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LILYNG,

I am in Wichita, Kansas. Likewise, I have to get the belly pork from oriental store as well.

Oh! Ya, Carving fork will probably works well.

Thanks! Smile
LILYNG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: roast pork Reply with quote

mhawk

ya the craving fork works very well, hardy enough. remember to dry out pork belly in fridge before roasting
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena,

Wow...... it look sooo good. I'm drool :shock:

I will try it and let you know the out come. By the way while going through my junk (newspaper & recipe cutting), I found the same recipe you post early on.... so think of you on that day Very Happy
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena, I try it last weekend it's teast soooo good. But still got the same problem with the skin, its conclude what Gina said about the electric oven. Evil or Very Mad
ltan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jewels wrote:
Lena, I try it last weekend it's teast soooo good. But still got the same problem with the skin, its conclude what Gina said about the electric oven. Evil or Very Mad

Naris, so sorry to learn that your seow bak still did not turned as well as you like it to be. i wonder which recipes did you tried.
If you have not tried the one that was given to me by my friend over the phone, please have a go at that one. Try not to cover the pork when you leave it overnight in the fridge. Remember the skin side up.
best of luck.
jewels
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena,
I tried your friend recipe and leave the skin side up overnight in the fridge. Next time I will try the same recipe and use conventional oven as you suggest early on. Will let you know the out come (let see who will win me or the PORK :lol: )
jc_mum
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Naris,

You are cute. Smile

Thank you for posting abt the roast pork. Thanks Itan for posting her friend's recipe. I tried that today. It was fragrant, juicy and yummy. Smile Imagine I did 3 slices of them, total ard 1 kg. Mum took first slice and chop up bigger pcs, like you get out there, to let everyone tried. During dinner time, she sliced the 2nd slice to abt 1mm thick and kept the 3rd slice for herself and father the next day! That's how much my mum liked it. As for the rest, they love it too.

My encounter with the skin: after the 1 hr of baking, some skin has popped some bubbles but most remain hard and crisp. I had a hard time using my knife on 2 of the 3 pcs I baked. In the end, I anyhow poked it. Overall, the result still satisfactory. Only that the bubbling not deep enough, the base layer of skin, was still hard and din bubble up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Red Meats All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: