Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
8 Treasures Tea(recipe by Jean Lee)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cocktails and Drinks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jean Lee
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: 8 Treasures Tea(recipe by Jean Lee) Reply with quote

Edited by Gina: This was a reply post/thread at Kitchen Tip. I decided to split it and set it as a new post or its literally buried in that post about Sterculia lychnophora Hance.

yes, these are easily available in the medicine shop, and not expensive. I buy these to keep at home for making cheng tng, or 8 treasure tea. I bought a packet of these pre-mixed teas and then simply bought the individual ingredients and "packaged" my own tea. If anyone is interested, here are the ingredients:

Function:
Clearing heat, tranquilizing the mind and nourishing the skin (not my words but on the packaging)

Ingredients:
Chrysanthemum, dried fruits, mai men dong (Ophiopogonis root), qi zi (chinese wolfberry), tea leaf, da hai zi or pang da hai (Sterculia lychnophora Hance ), dried longan, red dates, shan zha (hawthorn) and rock sugar

Directions:
Pour boiling water over the tea, let the tea stand 5 - 10 minutes and you can enjoy the fresh tea.

(I know there are more than 8 ingredients - but that's what the packet says. And the tea tastes a little sweet because of the rock sugar and the longan. I make a pot - about 1.5 litres, and drink it throughout the day)
________
Asatru (norse paganism) forums

Last edited by Jean Lee on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 8-treasure tea, Jean. I love that tea and used to buy them from Watson. Had them a few time also at the Do Fu restaurant (?) at Plaza Hotel at Beach Rd, poured from the long spout tea pot.
I wonder if you can give me the name of the ingredients written in chinese, so I can show them to the chinese medicine shop keeper? I can read/write chinese Embarassed

TIA
honey_bun
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: 8 treasures tea Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

i have most of the ingredients at home, so i thought of try but any idea how many grams for each of the ingredients? what are dried fruits? thanks.
Jean Lee
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really up to your taste buds, no hard and fast rules here.
What I do is a pinch of each (loose) items like tea leaves, mai men dong, qi zi, etc. - using thumb/index/middle finger.
For longan(5), red dates(2) and pang da hai(1), where you can actually pick the pieces. After the first try, you just add/adjust according to taste.

The dried fruits are like raisins/currants - green in color, like a green version of qi zi. You can add whatever dry fruit you want.

Hope you like your own version, do try it and adjust as you like. Sometimes I add more longan, others times when I am tired I add more red dates.
________
Medical cannabis

Last edited by Jean Lee on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
honey_bun
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: 8 treasure tea Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

thanks for d advice. i hope 2 try out this tea soon.
jamie
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are Pregnant PLEASE DO NOT DRINK THIS...
Carolyn
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie wrote:
For those who are Pregnant PLEASE DO NOT DRINK THIS...
most of the ingredients look mild, just wondering which ingredient is potent for pregnant lady to avoid?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cocktails and Drinks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: