Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Bubor Terigu(recipe and pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Hot & Cold Sweet Desserts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Bubor Terigu(recipe and pic) Reply with quote

I got the recipe from the Mediacorp show "Ways of the Matriarch". The recipe is found on the Arts Central website:(scroll down to see the recipe).

The recipe did not state how long to cook the white wheat beans from start to end. I made some modifications here and there. My final tried and tested recipe is different from theirs without sago and durian. Also,
note that there is a very big typo error on their websites..its White Wheat beans, not Green Beans.

http://artscentral.mediacorptv.com/local/wom3/Recipes7.htm

Recipe yields 4 bowls
Ingredients:
200g white wheat beans
400ml coconut milk(I used canned ones)
500ml water
80g castor sugar(more or less according to your preference/taste)
5 pcs Pandan leaves

Method:
1. Wash beans and put into a pot with the water.
2. Boil the water.
3. When water is boiling, turn heat to lower fire and slow cook for 45 mins till beans are soft. .
4. Remove and drain with clear tap water.
5. In another pot, add coconut milk, pandan leaves and sugar to boil.
6. Add cooked beans and simmer over low heat for another 30 mins till milk is absorbed into the beans.
7. Discard pandan leaves.
8. Serve warm.

Razz

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
wink
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, this is one of my favourite dessert since young.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diana

me too! Wink and also Pulut Hitam...!

genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for resurrecting this. I made this dessert once in a while and my wife hates it due to the coconut milk. (Marriage is wonderful! Wink)

Anyway, the white wheat beans are actually what is sold in the stores or supermarket as white wheat but it is actually cracked wheat berries. If you are not local, and find yourself in the US, this known as bulgur. Variations to a theme.

Bulgur are parboiled, then dried. It is coarsely ground to varying degrees. Finally the grains are cracked.

Cracked wheat is what it really is. The wheat berries are cracked straight away. No parboiling.

Cracked wheat is hard to find in the US but bulgur is easy.

To make this dessert, cracked wheat is preferred but you can substitute it with bulgur.

I forgot to add, these nice things can be used to make Tabbouleh salad. Now this thing my wife likes.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genie47

no need to start your post with "Forgive me for resurrecting this". we have new members joining KC every day. Many will always be resurrecting old recipes already posted here when they try it out and had questions with it or comments to share.

Kitchen Capers is a treasure trove for all to find recipes. Its meant to be "resurrected".

anyway, thanks for your feedback. Wink

rach
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, newbie here!!! just wonderijg if i can boil all in same pot rather than boil bean 1st? THANKS!!!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually you can't because the initial water used for boiling it is 'smelly'. Thus you see in the recipe, its stated that you need to 'wash' it again after its cooked.

yummy

kelly
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a pot of plain cooked bubor hitam and added a scoop of vanilla ice cream (since I couldn't find coconut ice cream). It's delicious!
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genie47 wrote:
Forgive me for resurrecting this. I made this dessert once in a while and my wife hates it due to the coconut milk. (Marriage is wonderful! Wink)

Anyway, the white wheat beans are actually what is sold in the stores or supermarket as white wheat but it is actually cracked wheat berries. If you are not local, and find yourself in the US, this known as bulgur. Variations to a theme.

Bulgur are parboiled, then dried. It is coarsely ground to varying degrees. Finally the grains are cracked.

Cracked wheat is what it really is. The wheat berries are cracked straight away. No parboiling.

Cracked wheat is hard to find in the US but bulgur is easy.

To make this dessert, cracked wheat is preferred but you can substitute it with bulgur.

I forgot to add, these nice things can be used to make Tabbouleh salad. Now this thing my wife likes.

Hubby wont eat bubor terigu ( taste like glue) so I cheat Cheeky grin He loves his oatmeal so I used steel cut Irish oats then before serving just add in the gula melaka ( Just like brown sugar right?) and then coconut milk or milk. This he loves--- my reasoning .. whats the difference between serving cream and brown sugar on oatmeal and my version??? hehehehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Hot & Cold Sweet Desserts All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: