Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Corn muffins/cornbread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Muffins & Cupcakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Corn muffins/cornbread Reply with quote

This is the copycat recipe from www.topsecretrecipes.com for Kenny Rogers Roasters' cornbread muffin.

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3/4 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed

When it comes to muffins, a lot of people make the mistake of tossing everything together. This is not correct. Muffins are supposed to be dense not light so the flour must be just mixed and not beaten.

1. Separate the wet ingredients from the dry ingredients. That means you got to have 2 bowls. One holds all the dry ingredients and the other the wet ingredients.

2. The wet mix will contain the eggs, milk, sugar, salt, honey and butter. Beat them until they are mixed.

3. Throw in all the dry ingredients and mix. When they are about to be in the just mixed stage, throw in the corn kernels.

4. Fill muffin cups and bake 200C or 400F for 20-25min.

Notes:
I have made simple Southern cornbread with this recipe and this recipe can easily be mistaken for Mary Callendar's cornbread mix that you can buy from Liberty Market. Instead of muffin cups, just pour the mix into a 13x9 brownie pan. Takes 25min to bake at the same temperature. When cool, cut them to brownie sized pieces.

You can substitute the frozen corn kernels with canned ones. Make sure it is the sweet whole corn kernels and not cream sweet corn. Make sure you drain them dry of liquid. More or less is up to you. I usually toss in 1 cup.

I have gotten good reactions from this recipe always. The cornmeal I use is Alber's Cornmeal. This is the fine cornmeal which I also use for breading fried chicken/fish and for pizza making. You can get from Liberty Market but recently I get it from the NTUC Fairprice in "Little America" (Woodgrove).
makan_kaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family just loves his muffins *warm fuzzy* When we lived in SG, we would buy a 12 count box to take home. Thanks for the recipe! Smile
yangone
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is exactly the same from Allrecipes.

http://bread.allrecipes.com/az/KrssysBstEvrCrnMffns.asp
yangone
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried out and would say it's about 90% close to what Kenny Rogers sells. Very yummy !

genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have noticed that it is close to the Allrecipes version. For some reason, Top Secret Recipes removed it from their website.
hellodolly
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaine, I love your muffin cup! Very cute.
cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Genie,

I went out to buy the cornmeal and just grab the first one that I saw, cos'in a hurry. Didn't know that there are different types and I ended up with the 'stone ground' whole corn meal. After baking....my corn muffins taste like there's sand in it :shock: . However, the taste of the muffins is great, except for the texture.

Gonna find the right cornmeal and try again. Do u have any idea what to do with my existing course corn meal? It's such a big packet!

Cecilia
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilia

can use it to coat chicken, then deep fry..very yummy. Razz

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

can tell me steps by steps how to do it? I'm refering to deep fried chicken with cornmeal.

Sorry abt this. I'm don't know how to cook at all...only can do some simple baking. Embarassed

And I'm really scared to deep fried things...so I bought the deep fryer recently.

Cecilia
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best cornmeal for corn muffins or cornbread is Albers yellow cornmeal. They are fine enough to give the cornbread/muffins texture w/o being too coarse. They are found as a box. I remember some Cold Storage stores sell it but the best place is the NTUC Fairprice at Little America.

Just remember, coarse cornmeal goes by a another name. It is called polenta. Polenta as Gina has mentioned is great for coating chicken frying parts or fish.[/img]
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilia

I recently did a chicken recipe using cornmeal:

http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2763

cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H,

Thks Gina & Genie

Cecilia
learningcooking
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Anyone has any idea where i can find cornmeal in France?? Really want to make this muffin...

Stef
small cookie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genie47 wrote:
The best cornmeal for corn muffins or cornbread is Albers yellow cornmeal. They are fine enough to give the cornbread/muffins texture w/o being too coarse. They are found as a box. I remember some Cold Storage stores sell it but the best place is the NTUC Fairprice at Little America.

Just remember, coarse cornmeal goes by a another name. It is called polenta. Polenta as Gina has mentioned is great for coating chicken frying parts or fish.[/img]

Are you referring to the NTUC at Bt Timah Plaza?
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genie47 wrote:

Cold Storage sells this but difficult to get the yellow cornmeal. They carry more white cornmeal of the same brand. Try going to the branches at town area.

HTH
Zu
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu

Phoon Huat sells the 2 types of cornmeal..one is the powdery kind and the other is Polenta(coarse grain type)

Cold Storage and Jason's carry other brands. More expensive. Like about $6 per small pack.

zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Zu

Phoon Huat sells the 2 types of cornmeal..one is the powdery kind and the other is Polenta(coarse grain type)

Cold Storage and Jason's carry other brands. More expensive. Like about $6 per small pack.

Yeah, PH does carry them but I find their polenta a bit more coarse that this one. I find Alders has a slightly finer grain. Smile

Zu
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little America for all of you that do not know is in Woodlands. It is Woodgrove itself due to the higher than usual presence of American expats in that area thanks to the American School there.

You all should come by here during Halloween. Driving by at night looking at all the Jack-O-Lanterns makes it looked like you are already in the US.

BTW, the American corner in that NTUC has lots of exotic USA stuff like Betty Crocker's cranberry pound cake mix. coffee Mary Callendar's Cornbread Mix is usually sold out within a week. The cleaning stuff there is absolutely wonderful. 40 Mule Team Borax Powder is found here. Great cleanser for everything! Besides the American section, there is an Aussie/NZ section with lots of biscuits and stuff from Arnott's and lots of muesli and rolled oats from Lowan Food's.

Don't you wish you live in Woodlands instead? Wink

Oh yes, parking is free at Woodgrove.

Last edited by genie47 on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learningcooking wrote:
Hi

Anyone has any idea where i can find cornmeal in France?? Really want to make this muffin...

Stef

I have no idea. Cornmeal is a very American foodstuff. Might explain the difficulty of finding it anywhere in Europe.
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zurynee wrote:

Cold Storage sells this but difficult to get the yellow cornmeal. They carry more white cornmeal of the same brand. Try going to the branches at town area.

You can still use the white cornmeal. It is still OK for this recipe. I have used it before but your sweet corn kernels will really be prominent compared to the yellow cornmeal version. Tastes just the same.
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genie47 wrote:
zurynee wrote:

You can still use the white cornmeal. It is still OK for this recipe. I have used it before but your sweet corn kernels will really be prominent compared to the yellow cornmeal version. Tastes just the same.

yeap, i hv been using it. only diff is not yellowish ;)
dish
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various variations. The finecornmeal called out in this recipe is fine ground.

1) If you happen to buy the coarse meal, don't fret -

a) grind it down further with a small food processor, then sieve (of course don't use the super fine holes as you may not get much fine ground cornmeal)

b) sit the batter in the fridge for 30 minutes (this will allow the liquid content to soften the cornmeal a little)

2) Cornmeal = Polenta (make sure you get the super fine ground version)

3) There is also Maize Flour (it's yellow) not to be confused with Cornflour

And one more thing, for the corn kernel, you can buy the normal sweet corn and remove the kernels yourself, it's even more juicy.
cecilia
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dish,

thks for the suggestions. I guess I will try to grind my stone ground yellow corn meal.

Cecilia
pbutt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the chance to try this today.

For a baking idiot like me, it was quite fast and easy to do.

Verdict.. very good! (looks like yangone's pic - except that I don't have her nice muffin cups)

Thanks, genie47, for the recipes and everyone for all the helpful hints!
Alannia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cecilia wrote:
Gonna find the right cornmeal and try again. Do u have any idea what to do with my existing course corn meal? It's such a big packet!

Cecilia

There's a restaurant in KL that adds polenta into their mashed potato. It was very nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Muffins & Cupcakes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: