Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Baked Rice my style(recipe and pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Rice & Pasta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Baked Rice my style(recipe and pic) Reply with quote

Made this for lunch today. nothing left an hour later Razz

here's how it looks like overall:

Ingredients
1.5 cups uncooked rice(washed, drained)
1 can of Creamy mushroom soup
2 cans of water(using the soup can to measure)
1 cup butternut pumpkin(diced)
1 cup celery(diced)
1 cup sweet corn kernels
1 cup califlower florets
1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese
1 cup tuna flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Basil leaves(dried)
1 tsp Parsley leaves(dried)

Method:
1. Cooked soup in a sauce pot. Add salt
2. Put uncooked rice with soup in a large casserole.
3. Baked rice in preheated oven 220 C for 40 mins
4. Remove baked rice and put into another larger casserole.
5. Press down to fill up.
6. Mixed chopped vegetables/tuna and pour on top of baked rice.
7. Add califlower florets.
8. Finally add shredded cheddar cheese on top.
9. Sprinkle herbs on top.
10 Baked in preheated oven 200 C for 25 mins.

Serve HOT!

Notes:
Do not use cooked overnight rice. It will be soggy. This way of baking the rice with soup, allows the rice to absorb the flavours of the soup and its very fragant and tasty.

You can add other ingredients with the veg mix like tuna flakes, shredded chicken fillet, salmon fillet, sausages, shitake mushrooms, etc.

Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
mustardseed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this out. My kids love baked rice. The 2 cans of water supposed to mix with creamy soup??
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mustardseed wrote:
The 2 cans of water supposed to mix with creamy soup??

yes..because it will be used later as a base for cooking the uncooked, raw rice in the oven.

Gina

3lilangels
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina.. I tried it last weekend ..

The kids like it Smile
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauline

thanks for reporting back. Now you can try with other types of vegetables like broccoli, spinach(the ang mo type..costs S$3.60 for 100g only!) and even fresh salmon or smoked salmon and leftover roast meats like Chicken, duck!

Natasha is in school today doing her cook-out (home econs project) today..with her Tang Hoon. She took all my fancy plates last night and I also show her how to garnish and arrange for a good presentation.

Gina

3lilangels
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do that.. will try the macroni and cheese.. the kids love all these type of food ..
choenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: baked rice and pastas Reply with quote

My hubby and I tried to make a quick baked pasta dish using "elbow pasta" two weekends back. We cooked the elbows before putting into the dish and adding the meats and veg and cheese on top.

It tasted like any baked pasta dish except that the elbows were very tough...should we have cooked the elbows in the oven instead of pre-cooking, like you did with the rice? island:
Also, we didn't use soup, since we had already precooked them.

Would appreciate if you can advise so we can improve on it the next time! Wink
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi choenix

with pasta, its different. I have a Macaroni and something gratin dish here(can't remember what it is). the Macaroni is cooked first using the regular boiling water method. Then added into a casserole dish with other ingredients and baked.

With this Baked Rice, uncooked raw rice absorbs the flavour of the soup. Thus making it more tasty and fragant. With pasta, using the Baked rice method, you cannot achieve the same standards or flavouring.

with this basic understanding about rice and pasta:

when you cook rice in a sauce pot, all the water dries up immediately. The rice soaks up all the water. You get soft and fluffy rice and NO WATER(or Liquid)

But with Pasta, the water remain there even after 15 mins of boiling. Maybe a little has evaporated or soak up by the pasta.

choenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

So does that mean that essentially we were on track with the pasta dish?
That was the first time we tried it but would like to try and get it as good as the NYDC ones...still moist on the inside, but with good pull consistency on the cheese outside.

Hoping to set aside some time to try your baked rice recipe...sounds like something that would work great for quick cooking time after a long day's work!! Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choenix

yes you are right on track. Pasta must be pre cooked first. Then when you baked it again, limit the baking time or reduce the temperature. Don't over baked it. To make it moist, you can add some butter to your vegetables and top it with shredded cheese. Bake till the cheese melts and its golden brown. Remove to cool a bit and serve immediately.

you can use Olive oil if you do not want to use Butter.

jyfc
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gina,

i still have problem getting tis right. island each time d rice turns out to be too soggy (soft). should we baked d rice till d water dries up?? i put in my oven for abt 50mins, there's still quite a fair bit of water at the top. i took it out, some of the rice already harden, sticks to d side of the dish, those in d middle looks to be ok (but like not coated with the soup), those at the top are soggy. in d end, wat i did was mixed it all up.....
could it be bec i did not use a flat / plate casserole?

lena
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lena

the first stage of baking the raw rice with soup/water is just to soften it. If its soggy like what you say, its still okay. Then you remove it from the oven and use a fork to toss it, then place all other ingredients on top. then put the whole dish back to the oven to bake again. This time round, the baking is just to melt the cheese and cooked the rice again.

about the dish..yes, it has to be flat. Like the small dish types that Delifrance has.

what you can do is to get those disposal square aluminium foil tins to use. I used that when I need to bake for outside makan.

linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,

I made this recipe of urs a few times already, and every time it turns out great! I used to do it a different way (the lazy way) using cooked rice but find that ur way is much better as rice is not soggy.

I do make some changes tho, like instead of cream of mushroom soup, I use cream of broccoli & cheese. For my ingredients, I saute onions & mushrooms till they caramelise then add in whatever ingredients I want for my baked rice, also turn out very nice. Also did a seafood baked rice once using clam chowder to cook the rice. I would say I still prefer using cream of broccoli & cheese, it gives a very nice flavour to the baked rice Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linlin

yes, but after a while, we get sick of the smell of melted cheese and cream soup. I think I will 'die' if I have to eat this all the time. I am still very much a chinese girl who prefers plain porridge. Sometimes when I made this for the kids, I just have peanuts porridge.

Cream of broccoli and cheese..can't find it here in SG leh. Cooked rice is the easy way. and faster too. but I still find cooking rice with the soup is more flavourful. Maybe becoz I am a rice eater.

linnish
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina,

Yah I do agree with u that it gets sick after eating too much of baked rice..cos of the cheese & cream...it's afterall quite a rich dish. Eat it once a while, I find that it's great but can't eat it all the time. Most of the time, I really would prefer simple food like what u said, porridge..or juz any home cooked S'pore food.

Can't find cream of broccoli & cheese there har? What a waste, hope they will have it in S'pore soon so u can try that for cooking.
singapore gal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

I made this tonight and used fish fillet. For veggies, I used frozen mixed veggies. Dh felt that the rice layer was dry. When I removed the rice the 1st time round, the soup has been absorbed by the rice. Is it ok if I removed the rice, say 10 mins earlier, then add the other ingredients and continue to cook, would the rice be moister?

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its up to you. we don't like wet rice. We are still very chinese, rice must be firm and cooked not wet and cooked. If you like rice to be moist, you can add a bit of hot water after the 1st cooking process is done. If you remove it sooner, the rice may not be cooked.

mandyray
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Tried cooking this yesterday. The rice turns soggy Embarassed Although its still nice, my DH has a tough time eating it, cos he do not like soggy rice.

I dunno what I did wrong. I cooked the soup using 2 cans of the water and use 1.5 cups of rice. Anyway, I used the normal rice cups instead of the measuring cups. Could it be the cause??

MandyRay
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Baked rice Reply with quote

Hi ...Gina i want to give this one a try ...can i use basmati rice ??? cos i only use that for daily meals and also if i omit the tuna what else can i add !!! ?
God Bless
singapore gal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, I kaypo a bit and answer 1st, ok?

Mandyray - you need to use the measuring cup for the rice. At first, I also use the rice cup for my mil commented that it is too much liquid to the amount of rice.

Beesidhu - you can use fish fillet, like what I did, just season the fillet with salt and pepper for extra taste. also can use chicken fillet too. But these fillet will have to be thin in order to be cooked in 25 mins.
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just add uncooked cube potatoes n carrots, can I put them on top of the uncooked rice n put into the oven n baked them together n take them out after it's cook. Then toss them n add meats n cheese n put back into the oven again to get the meats cooked n cheese melt?
Can I just use the same casserole?
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had this for dinner last night however I modified the recipe a little. Instead of baking the rice, I cooked it in the rice cooker with diluted campbell soup. The rice taste yummy! Use tuna flakes and frozen mixed vegetables as topping, lined with cheddar cheese slice (which melts into the rice, very delicious) and mozarella cheese. Thanks for the recipe!
ruru
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made baked rice for dinner with Gina's recipe.... changed some of the vegs in the recipe....

Smells nice hehe Smile

JoyofBakinn
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina for the recipe...I baked this last Fri and it was a success! I must say this is veryyyy deliciousss!!

Sharing the photo (p/s I omitted the tuna chunks and celery...added sausage & mushroom; replaced the sweet corns with mixed veges) Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Rice & Pasta All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: