Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
How to make delicious oats meal for toddler

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: How to make delicious oats meal for toddler Reply with quote

I am thinking of making oats meal for my 1 & 2 year old ds, especially for my 2 years old ds. He's still taking those Nestle cereal for breakfast most of the time, but it can only take up to 24 months. Soon he's coming to 24 months, so I am thinking of oats as oats is supposed to be good for them right? But I think my MIL tried to cook him quaker oats with condense milk before & commented he doesnt want it. Anyone have any delicious way to make/cook oats for them? And preferably not too gooeeyy type, cos too gooey can be yucky (imo)...Personally, I'm not into oats.
Thanks alot!
dish
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, my girls loves it and its powerfood for school

1/3 cup quick cook oats
1/2 c milk (fresh milk)
Mwave for 1 min. Stir and mwave again for 1 min
Remove and rest.

You can try the following flavouring

1) Brown Sugar & Butter
2) Jam - Rasberry or Strawberry

You may want to 1/4 the quantity (my children eats a lot for brekky)

Have fun
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dish! I will buy a tin of quaker oats to get my maid to prepare as a breakfast for him. Is instant or those that needs to cook better?

I am thinking what can I give my elder ds as breakfast? Cos now he just started his 3 hr-Playgroup & needs more energy.
Something that's quick to prepare & can give him source of nutrients & energy.
Anyone have any suggestions?
mandyray
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take Quakers oatmeal every morning..

But I mixed with Milo or Horlicks. Basically, just 3 tbsp of oats and 1tbsp of milo or horlicks. I only added 1/2-1tsp of brown sugar..no milk.. Cos I personally felt milo/horlicks are sweet enough.

The increase in fibre by taking oatmeal helps me to go toilet more often, now every day..if not, its a once every 3 days trip for me (sorry, if its too gross) Embarassed

Oh..my colleague takes oatmeal with honey (But I think it tastes yucky).

Anywya, I love nestum cereal, maybe thats why I can take oatmeal. (Those instant ones...)
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
My boy still rejected oats. I bought a pack of instant quaker oats & told my maid to add alittle condense milk & maybe sprinkle alittle milo on it, but my boy still didnt want it. Even my younger ds also spit them out by sticking his tongue out to push the oats out. I guess I gotta use them by baking muffins or get my maid to eat them (tho' I don't know if my maid likes anot??) By the way, you don't add any liquid on the oats?
Nestum cereal is different, they are very fragrant, but not oats leh...
Sarah!
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Instant Oats too. Add milk, microwave for about 2 minutes and then stir and add some honey with banana. Wink
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they find it too thick, that's why they rejected it. Last time I do not take oatmeal either. Now, what I do is cook it with homemade chicken stock. Put it more liquid so that it will be like watery porridge. U can add in carrots, potatoes when boiling the chicken stock. Then, when you want to add into the oatmeal, mash up the vege and mixt it up. You can make the chicken stock ahead and freeze it. Maybe you could put into little plastic bags of what you think you'll need for each meal.

Give it one more try before you give up on this as oatmeal is really good for both children and adults too Very Happy
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alannia.
I never really think of savoury taste of oatmeals. I know it's really good & nutritious. Actually I myself don't like oatmeals either.
Anyway, I will give it another try to make savoury type of oatmeals for them. But mine r instant type, so how should I go about it?
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine also instant. You can just heat up the stock, take out from the fire, then add in the instant oats. For instant, you don't need to cook over a fire. Sometimes when I'm very lazy Embarassed & out of chicken stock, I just put in about 1 - 2 tsp of the instant Campbell soup (the new one in powder form) and add water.
Not recommended for children especially if you don't want them to take too much msg. For me this is for 'emergency' usage only :lol:
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sure, thanks for your advise.

May give it a try another day.

Thanks!!! Razz
dish
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karrine, I think the Nestum and Quaker ones are all sweetened already, you need to buy Quick Cook Oats - plain. That you can use for your savoury porridge.

Add more liquid if the oat is too thick. If not make oatmeal biscuits.
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both instant & quick cooking are not sweetened. Only the 3 - in - 1 is sweetened.
Karrine
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah....I see. Yah, instant are plain ones as I thought. Thanks Alannia & dish. I will try to make use of the oats again n try for my 2 sons.
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oats are pretty expensive when they are branded by Quaker.

No Frills Quick Oats cost only 2.80 for 1kg. That is hard to beat. Made in Malaysia.

For anyone trying to diet, rolled oats are the answer. I find Sanitarium harder to cook but Lowan's rolled oats are faster cooking and by feeling with my hands, seem softer too.

BTW if you suffer from high cholesterol, rolled oats is indeed proven to lower cholesterol. People using Lovastatin (cholesterol control drug) with low fat diet achieved 23% reduction. Another group on low fat diet on oatmeal (quick oats, rolled oats included) achieved a 21% reduction.

Besides a 2% difference, oats are a lot cheaper than Lovastatin. :lol:
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the NTUC stores with the Austrialian Pavilion section with all the Aussie foods. There is this box of quick oats that are flavored. Many nice flavors to choose from. A lot cheaper than Quaker's. I've seen it in Woodgrove NTUC and Liberty Market.
peony
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i add 2 tbs of oats ( any types ) to porridge that i cook for my grandson. he is 2 plus now. the oats make the porridge thicker n creamier. even those who doesnt likes oats, like his mum, didnt notice that oat is added to the porridge.

Btw , you can cook savoury oats instead of just sweet types. Cook it like porridge by adding minced meat n veg. However , my grandson perfer oats cook into rice porridge.
Helena
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How to make delicious oats meal for toddler Reply with quote

Hi there. Just adding my two cents worth of thoughts. I personally do not like oats but I made them for my 2 ds who are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 yrs of age. they like them very much especially if I add some raisins or fruits into it. I usually just add 3 tablespoons of oats to 120ml of milk. I had tried adding honey once but they didn't really fancy them.
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat oats daily for breakfast and that helps me in my breastmilk supply Wink Anyway, that's besides the point Razz :lol: :lol:

My 2 kiddos are eating oats too (traditional). Both sweet and savory. Sweet, simply add sugar to cooking oats, add chopped pitted prunes/cranberries/banana, or any fruits that we have at home. Currently giving savory oatmeal to my 8 months old, steam oats, fish and veggie, mash them up and add to oats, yummy!
Mandy
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We eat alot of oats. Normally i will buy Organic baby oats. Eat it with condensed milk and some dried cranberries or any berries. Even raisins too.

Don't know why but we can't stomach savoury oats. Embarassed
spots
lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also add honey to oats to flavour it! My son Daniel likes it that way Smile
bumbum
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dd also dun like oat. So i mix oat with our normal rice to make porridge for her. She don't even notice that. Cheeky grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Kiddie Food All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: