Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Sweet Bread (pai-pau)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerseymom's pai-pao with shredded cheese and sugar on top. Fluffiest bread ever. Can never get tired of doing it.

Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophie,
My jaw locked! It is fantastic!!! You're so skillful and made them super-fluffy and light... got to tight up your bread or else it will float away Very Happy I'm so glad you love the recipe!
Ningster
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering will it make a difference if I use yeast or instant yeast?

Thank you.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came in to 'kay-poh', and is greeted by this fluffy bread. Sophie, what a great job in producing this pillowy-soft bread coffee
Sophie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerseymom

Embarassed Skill alone is not enough. Recipe must be good. Smile

Ningster

I assume you are referring to fresh yeast. Fresh or instant does not matter as long as it's off equal strength. I don't know how much to substitute fresh yeast to instant. Maybe someone can help.

Coxiella
Thank you. I learn from the Bread Queens in here. :lol: :lol:
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear experienced bakers...

I hv this problem of sticky bread - as in the bread rises during proofing and after baking, but when u bite into it, it's not as fluffy as commercially sold ones. They kinda stick and sometimes a little damp, not dry and fluffy. Do you know what could hv gone wrong? I use hand kneading.

I am qt discouraged, hvn't been baking for 2 months already. :roll:
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glorious wrote:
sticky bread ... They kinda stick and sometimes a little damp

Hi glorious,
sorry about the bread didn't turn out well...
First about the stickness... how sticky your dough was (you can compare with my pre-baked dough at the step-by-step photo section on the first page)? And since you said you hand-kneaded this sticky dough, were you still able to knead the dough until elastic and smooth?
Second. Since the inside of your bread is damp, the first thing came to my mind is undone... but not necessary as we can't see the photo.

For other KC bakers, what do you think? Can give some input to help, please ? Very Happy
sspaks
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giselle, thks for sharing this recipe. Ive been wanting to try this recipe since last yr but never got round to trying it out till yesterday. The bread is really soft - dd and i immediately ate 1 piece the moment it came out from the oven! Very Happy We had the rest for brekkie this morning. Not as soft, the next day but microwave 10 secs, it taste just as good like fresh from the oven. I think I will add 1/2 tsp bread improver next time so tht it will stay soft even the next day.

P/s : Sorry - cant give any input to advise Glorious as i use my Breadmaker to do all the hard work.
kellietham
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing so many good reviews, finally decided to try to make some on my own since there is no more bread at home .. made them for breakfast, but my 2 boys can't wait until tomorrow .. they tried and love them so much .. texture is soft .., but so sorry, i am not good in photo taking .. :lol:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cinderella525
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Will King Arthur Flour work? Reply with quote

I am in the US and was wondering if anyone has tried this recipe with the King Arthur bread flour. I know that its been mentioned the Pilsbury and the Gold Medal bread flours give dismal results. Does the King Arthur bread flour work as well as ones you'd find in Asian grocery stores?
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Will King Arthur Flour work? Reply with quote

cinderella525 wrote:
I am in the US and was wondering if anyone has tried this recipe with the King Arthur bread flour. I know that its been mentioned the Pilsbury and the Gold Medal bread flours give dismal results. Does the King Arthur bread flour work as well as ones you'd find in Asian grocery stores?

I tried it with Robin hood All purpose and it turned out really well.
cinderella525
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: My "pai pau" Reply with quote

I decided to jump on the band wagon and I made the bread tonight:

It isnt as pretty as everyone elses and it didn't rise as much. I think the problem was that I used too much flour and I didn't wait for it to proof long enough
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PP, thanks for your input. Too bad in my area Robin Hood is not easy to find...

Cinderella, still a very nice try! Right, don't be tempted to add too much extra flour. But my 1st attempt wasn't too great, yours actually is pretty good to me Razz King Arthur is the best so far amongst the big brands (in my area anyway). Pilsbury after given it more tries, impression improves, I think I'll buy it more often. GM, still no-no to me, but recently it's just launched "Harvest King" version, I bought it but haven't tried yet.

sspaks and kellietham, whao, stunning bread!!! The photoes prove you ladies are wonderful skillful bakers Very Happy
kellietham
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jerseymom for your kind words .. it is indeed a very nice recipe .., my boys simply love it, i will be making another batch soon Very Happy

God Bless,
Kellie Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Angela K
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried it today..but diappointed as it's heavier and dense but soft still ediable..used b.machune to knead and the rest follow accordingly to recipe..the dough don't look sticky so didn't use much flour during the shaping..used 9 ich by 9 inch sq.cake tin....anyone can tell what's wrong... :cry:
nianning
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried this today with the bread machine form start to the end(i put the dough through 2 kneading cycles.once dough and the next just normal basic bread)..bad idea..ahaha..cos i think the bread was too light and fluffy that the bread collapsed from its own weigh about 5 mins after i took it out of the bread maker( this teaches me not to be soooo lazy) but it tasted great!!!! my house of 3 finished it in under an hour!

*note to self,make into rolls the next time.ahahah
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid to try this recipe...everytime a recipe calls for making balls out of the dough before reshaping.....my bread turns hard and flat (must have squashed the heck out of them even though I thought I was gentle)....what is the proper way to make the balls? Can someone please help?...maybe even with a video?
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asan, Did you leave it to rise again after shaping? If not, then that is where you went wrong. After shaping, leave to rise till double in size then only bake.
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinadoll, sad to say...after shaping, I waited for three hours but they never changed in size....hard as rocks, my DH said even the birds in the yard wouldn't eat them......the other two times when I made bread using the water roux (porridge method)....I did not handle them much ...just cut, gently pad them flat and filled them. Those two times, the buns came out soft and fluffy.
I had watched somebody made balls out of pinched dough by cupping their hand and 'rolled' these on the table by making circular motions but could not imitate the motion.

The cinnamon rolls I am trying today are not rising ....grrrrrr. I even opened a brand new bag of SAF GOLD instant yeast and used the much 'treasured' DIY bread and cake flours. I usu reserve these for more special treat as they are hard to come by. GRRRRR!

To answer someone's question on King Arthur flours in the US.....they are good flours but I do find that DIY or other Asian flours make fluffier bread.
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange indeed... could be the weather too cold? Try preheating your oven, then switch it off and put in the buns to proof. Heat will help to activate the yeast.
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asan wrote:

The cinnamon rolls I am trying today are not rising ....grrrrrr. I even opened a brand new bag of SAF GOLD instant yeast and used the much 'treasured' DIY bread and cake flours. I usu reserve these for more special treat as they are hard to come by. GRRRRR!

Hi, if you are instant yeast, I think you do not have to mix it with warm water. When using dry yeast, the water mustn't be too hot or it will 'kill' the yeast. HTH

All That Matters
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kitchen indeed was too cold. I placed today's cinnamon rolls during the first proofing together with a big mug of hot water inside the microwave oven (off) but it didn't rise at all so I switched over to the oven (heated at 150 F for 5 mins then turn off) and it rose nicely. Except...I had a brain infarct and forgot to turn the oven off until I realized it 20 mins later. Luckily...I did not 'cook' the dough.....the final products met my DS's approval. They are for his B-day breakfast tomorrow but he ate some already tonight.

I was ever so gentle in rolling out the dough...I think I really can not make balls out of dough. Wish someone could make a video to show and tell.

Thank you for your help....you guys are a great bunch! Keep it up please.
Sarah!
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi asan,

I'm not sure but I think maybe your problem is you're afraid to "deflate" the dough too much after the proofing? Is that true?

In this recipe for example, after the first rise, you will gently knead the dough again. Then let it rise again, and after the second rise you can divide them into balls (45g).

I divide them then shape them into 'perfect balls' by holding the measured dough on one hand and using the other 5 fingers to pinch it from the bottom sides into the middle. Then make a little twist to seal it at the bottom. Place the ball seam side down and allow to rest for 20 minutes (Step 5). Hard to explain so I hope this makes sense!!

You don't have to be way too gentle or be afraid that your dough will "lose" the air because you will be allowing your dough to rise again before you bake. After the 20 mins resting time, just flatten with a rolling pin (don't be afraid!) then roll up swiss roll style.

During winter, I heat up the oven to about 50-75C, then switch it off and place my bowl of dough (covered with kitchen towel) in and close the door. I've had no problem with the rising (usually within an hour or so..).

Hope this helps a bit. Btw, I have used THIS recipe for cinnamon rolls many many times and they're great.
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sarah. what you are describing sounds like what is done when making bao? Except no filling is wrapped. Is it so? I can do that...will try that next time. Thanks!
Sarah!
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's exactly it. With pau, the filling will be there so there's a deep hole in the middle. With this, just pinch the bottom surface to a small twist. Then on the other side, it will be a smooth rounded top. Place the twist side down to relax before you roll as per instruction. By then, you won't really see the pinch anymore and the balls will be a little softer for easier rolling. This is what I usually do and it works, so I hope it works for you too. Good luck!

Edit: Hey asan, I found a video of different shaping methods HERE. The tucking method at about 1:15 is the one I use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: