Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Fried Cauliflower (lookalike prawn fritters)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingle26
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Fried Cauliflower (lookalike prawn fritters) Reply with quote

this is my first lesson from Mdm Ee Kim San of Bukit Timah CC

Ingredients:
600g cauliflower
Oil for frying

For decoration
2 pcs of tomatoes
1 pc of cucumber

Seasoning for cauliflower
1/2 tsp 5-spice powder
1/2 tsp light soya sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper

Flour paste
200ml of water
150g of self-rasing flour
1/2 tsp of soda bicarbonate
2 tsp of potato starch
1 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
1/4 tsp salt

Method:

1. Cut the cauliflower into 1 1/2 inch long, do not cut off the stem or the leave.

2. Boil water in a wok, put the cutted cauliflower to fry, fry until you see transparent in stem, off the fire then fry awhile and scoop up drain dry it. Only semi-cook the cauliflower.

3. Mix the cauliflower with the seasoning and shake it then leave it aside for 20 mins

4. Mix 200 ml bowl of water with 150g of self-raising flour, stir thoroughly then add potato starch, soda powder, cooking oil and salt.

5. Put oil in the wok, then dip the cauliflower in the flour paste, put in the cauliflower by holding the stem, do not mix the stem with flour paste. Let the cauliflower swim in the oily wok then lay it down for shallow-oil frying.

6. Then you can see the cauliflower looks like prawn fritters with a tail.

7. Once it cooked, scoop up and drain dry then put in the plate

8. Cut tomatoes and cucumber and decorate around the plate, ready to serve.
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fried Cauliflower (lookalike prawn fritters) Reply with quote

jingle26 wrote:
Let the cauliflower swim in the oily wok then lay it down for shallow-oil frying.

Jingle, what do you mean by this? Aren't we already frying the cauliflower in the wok? Or the wok is not heated up? Do we fry the cauliflower half way and then take them up and then fry them again in shallow oil?
genie47
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a lot of work here!

I did make something similar to this except mine was just plain cauliflower florets and batter made from equal amount of water, flour and self-raising flour.

Recently I make the batter with self-raising flour and beer plus some pepper. :twisted:

Now this batter is used for almost everything fried. coffee
jingle26
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fried Cauliflower (lookalike prawn fritters) Reply with quote

Alannia wrote:
jingle26 wrote:
Let the cauliflower swim in the oily wok then lay it down for shallow-oil frying.

Jingle, what do you mean by this? Aren't we already frying the cauliflower in the wok? Or the wok is not heated up? Do we fry the cauliflower half way and then take them up and then fry them again in shallow oil?

I have parboil the cauliflower first, that is before seasoning is added to.

When the wok is heated, i use to hold the stem, then let the flower go down to the oil first. once the flower is sticked with the batter then, i release the stem, then let it fry for a while.
Alannia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Now I got it. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Veggie Veggie All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: