Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Pandan Chiffon Cake (Recipe and Pics by Connie)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sponge & Chiffon Cakes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Pandan Chiffon Cake (Recipe and Pics by Connie) Reply with quote

Pandan Chiffon Cake

This is based on Alex Goh's Basic Flavour Chiffon Cake but with my own modification. No coconut milk is used.

Ingredients:
(A)
4 Large Egg Yolks
70g Castor Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt

(B)
85ml Corn Oil
115 ml Pandan Juice

(C)
150g Cake Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder

(D)
4 Large Egg Whites
70g Castor Sugar
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Note: Blend 8 pandan leaves with water in blender to get pandan juice

Method:

1. Preheat oven 170C - 180C.

2. Sift (C) twice, set aside.

3. Cream (A) until sugar dissovled using hand whisk. Add in (B) in the order listed. Mix well after each addition.

4. Fold in sifted flour and mix well.

5. Beat egg whites until frothy, add cream of tartar and beat till soft peaks. Add sugar and beat till stiff peaks.

6. Fold 1/2 of the egg whites into egg yolk mixture, gently with a rubber spatula until just blended.

7. Pour yolk mixture (step 6) into the rest of egg whites, fold it gently with rubber spatula until blended.

8. Put batter into a 20cm chiffon cake pan, bang the pan on a hard surface to release the bubbles and bake at 170C - 180C for 40 - 45 minutes or till cooked.

9. When the cake is cooked, remove from oven immediately and give it another bang on a hard surface. Then invert the cake to cool. Remove the cake from the cake pan when it is completely cool.
Aifan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nice and fluffy. Have tried to bake chiffon cake but always not successful. The bottom of the cake is sunken when inverted to cool(when unmould).The height of the cake is not favourable and the texture is too cakey. Sigh! Must have been the egg whites and the folding technique.

Aifan
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aifan & makan kaki, thanks for your compliments.

Aifan, you are right. Egg white must be stiff peak. If it is overbeaten, it will be very difficult to fold into the yolk batter. Must fold lightly and dont take too long. Dont give up... I am sure you will succeed. Wink I also failed miserably initially (at least 6 times) Smile

Rgds, Connie
artchoo6
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie, thks for the recipe. I also have Alex Goh's recipe book, hehe.

How does it taste like without coconut milk?
________
Montclair

Last edited by artchoo6 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolene, pai seh lah Embarassed I dont think I have tried Pandan Chiffon Cake made with coconut milk before... So, cant give you comparisons. My family insisted not to add coconut milk into Pandan Chiffon when I started baking few months back... All I can say is nice and full of Pandan aroma (and minus the guilt of having coconut milk!) Smile

Rgds, Connie
mycoffee
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,
Your chiffon cake rises so evenly. The recipe that I usually use for chiffon cake will result in a very high chiffon cake with a dome top, making it looked like a mountain (if I don't trim it). I have this book too but I haven't tried this recipe. Will give it a try soon.

Btw, I have baked Pandan Chiffon cake, both with and without coconut milk. I have to say that the one with coconut milk will give it a richer taste and aroma but the one without is also as good in its own way. Simpler taste and not cloying. IMHO.
________
Lamborghini Bravo

Last edited by mycoffee on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
HappyMum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pandan cake chiffon cake looks so good. Will try your receipe.
________
herbal grinder

Last edited by HappyMum on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mycoffee & Jolene - Just to remind you that I made slight changes to Alex Goh's original Basic Chiffon recipe. I reduced the sugar and increase cream of tartar. I also use this same recipe to make Orange Chiffon Cake. Just replace Pandan Juice with freshly squeeze orange juice and add finely grated orange rind (1 orange). Hope you like it... Smile

Mycoffee - Thanks for telling the difference between Pandan Chiffon with Coconut Milk and without it. Sweet of you.... "Kiss kiss"

HappyMum - Hope you enjoy it... Smile

Rgds, Connie
Aifan
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Connie,

So how to gauge when to stop whipping the egg white coz honestly, it's difficult to gauge when you don't know what you're looking for. Ok, stiff peak but how stiff? The mixture will get thicker as you go on. Can you share your success?

Aifan
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aifan

You make me very shy lah! Embarassed I am also still learning. The other day, I was trying to make Cheddar Cheese Chiffon Cake (modify my own recipe here and there) and it turned out to be a disaster... Ha ha ha! Very Happy But not giving up yet.... Basic rules are to make sure eggs are at room temperature, Whisk and Bowl must be oil free.

Our KC member, Florence actually posted a topic on how to beat egg white in Kitchen Tip. The website to refer to is http://www.baking911.com/howto/egg_whites_beat.htm. It is very informative and there is illustration of different stages egg white. Pay attention to egg white on the lifted balloon whisk at different stages. That is how I judge. Hopefully, this will help you and others... Wink

Rgds, Connie
artchoo6
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mycoffee wrote:
Connie,
Your chiffon cake rises so evenly. The recipe that I usually use for chiffon cake will result in a very high chiffon cake with a dome top, making it looked like a mountain (if I don't trim it). I have this book too but I haven't tried this recipe. Will give it a try soon.

Btw, I have baked Pandan Chiffon cake, both with and without coconut milk. I have to say that the one with coconut milk will give it a richer taste and aroma but the one without is also as good in its own way. Simpler taste and not cloying. IMHO.

thks mycoffee for the info. I think I would prefer richer taste one Smile love
________
Plymouth Superbird specifications

Last edited by artchoo6 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Aifan
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Connie for the tips. Will not give up..will let u know

Aifan
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aifan

I managed to take a photo of my egg whites at stiff peak stage today. Hope this is helpful to you! Wink

Rgds, Connie
Aifan
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Connie.

Aifan
Ng
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Pandan Chiffon Cake Reply with quote

I have baked twice and for both occasions, the results were not encouraging as I read somewhere at this site that I should bake the cake using bain maire techniques. My cake was very damp although I wrapped my baking tin with aluminium foil. What is wrong? Should I just bake it the normal way rather than bain maire techniques?
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ng

I am not an expert in baking but I will try to help as much as possible. Smile I have never baked chiffon cake using water bath method. So, I cant tell you the difference. As I learn baking using recipe book on my own, I just follow what is stated in the recipe book. So far, all the chiffon cake recipe says to bake in pre-heated oven 170 - 180C for 35 - 40 minutes. Why dont you try baking the normal way?

Also make sure you dont take too much time folding and blending egg white and egg yolk mixture. The batter will become runny if it takes too long to mix. Batter should be thick. I have posted my chiffon cheesecake batter photo in Chiffon Cheesecake for reference. Hope this helps! Smile

Rgds, Connie
JiJi
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to share a tip that I learned from a cooking lesson recently. Use egg from the fridge to make chiffon cake, the egg yolk and white can be seperated easily. But you need a longer time to beat the egg white till stiff.
Ng
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Pandan Chiffon Cake Reply with quote

Hi Connie,

Thks for your tips. I'm certain I have read somewhere in this website where the chiffon cake was baked in bath water method. If I'm not wrong it was the Pandan Kaya Cake. Two methods were illustrated, normal baking and the other water bath. When I baked my Pandan Chiffon Cake using the water bath method, the baking pan used was the normal round tin. Since it was so damp, I did not even proceed further in preparing the kaya filling.
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert in baking but I have never heard of baking pandan kaya cake using water bath. Don't know why the recipe calls for that method.

The cake is actually a sponge cake not a chiffon cake. Usually you are not supposed to use chiffon cake as a base for your pandan kaya cake. It will be too soft and too fine to support the kaya filling.
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia, agree with you. So far, none of the chiffon cake recipe called for baking in water bath method. Thanks... Smile

Ng, I have just checked and found the recipe which you were referring to is Pandan Sponge Cake posted by Gan55. Perhaps you need to check with Gan55 on what is the possible cause to your Pandan Sponge Cake. I have not tried this particular pandan sponge cake because I find the Optima flour/sponge mix are too sweet for my liking.

Rgds, Connie
gan55
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that your cake would be damp using the baine marie. If that is so, den have ur cake tin on a rack above the baking pan of water then.
Ng
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Pandan Chiffon Cake Reply with quote

Hi Gan 55,

Will give it a shot again. Will let you know the outcome.

Thks
milkshake
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Connie,

I made this following your recipe, but my cake doesn't look like Chiffon cake. Looks more like a sponge cake with a hole :o

Do u think it might be due to how I fold my egg white?

My husband thinks the cake looks alright. What do you think?

I made an Orange Chiffon Cake before and it's so high:)

Hope to do it better next time.

Please advice.

________
List of transmissions

Last edited by milkshake on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milk shake
nice cake..
why do you say it don't look like a chiffon cake?
anyway my chiffon cake always look like this from outside.. but the inside always not well baked..
drooling over yours now
connie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milkshake

Your chiffon cake looks perfect to me. No crack at all. Mine always crack on the top. Why you said your cake is not like chiffon cake?

Rgds, Connie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sponge & Chiffon Cakes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: