Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:11 am Post subject: Lotus Root and Chestnut Drink(recipe and pic)
|another MIL's recipe for cooling body system.
This is how the drink looks like.
Adding everything together to simmer:
this is the lotus root plant:
1 kg water chestnuts
500 Lotus Root plant
3 bulbs of fresh water lily buds
1 kg white rock sugar
2 litres water
200 g raw, organic Almonds(optional only if you are ASTHMATIC)
1. Wash chestnuts thoroughly to remove dirt/soil.
2. Cut into half.
3. Cut lotus root into slices like potaote chips(about 1 cm thickness)
4. Wash water lily buds.
5. In a large pot, add water to boil.
6. Put everything in the boiling water and simmer for 1 hour on low heat.
7. Strained and discard the cooked items.
8. Store in the fridge, in water containers.
Before fridge became a popular household appliances, my MIL told me that this is drank as a hot drink. Kept warm in a earthern kettle.
Over time, I have added raw, organic Almonds(which I got from chinese Medicinal hall) and added to boil with it. Since it was a COOLING drink, it can cause an asthmatic attack if you are asthmatic. But Almonds help to stop that.
Both Natasha and myself are asthmatic. And to enjoy this simple cooling drink, I learnt from the owner at the chinese medicinal hall to add almonds to the boiling process..!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1