Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Egg-less Fruit Cake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Egg-less Fruit Cake Reply with quote

I got this recipe from a magazine. Simple but truly delicious. The cake is moist too.

I used self raising flour for this omitting the baking powder and sodium bicarbonate.

Ingredients
150g butter
200g mixed fruit
2 tbsps sugar
500ml condensed milk (original was 515ml)
250ml water (original was 1/2 can of 515ml)

Sifted together
230g flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sodium bicarbonate

Method
1. Combine all the ingredients except flour and cook for 10-15minutes or until the mixed fruits are plumped over low heat, stirring occasionally
2. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature then stir in sifted flour
3. Preheat oven to 180c
4. Pour mixture into a lined, greased 20cm baking tin and allow to stand for 15 minutes
5. Bake for 45 mis to 1 hour or until firm

Note:

I find the cake slightly on the sweet side even though I used only 500ml of milk. For those who doesn't like too sweet, you can reduce the milk to 450ml or reduce the sugar.

You may want to increase the mixed fruit to 250g because I find 200g is not enough Smile (I like fruit cake with lots of fruit).

Zu
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zu i am going to try this one for sure ...so if i use self raising flour i omit the baking powder and S.Bio ??? Also these days the condense milk is all creamer type ...should that do the job aswell ???
island Thanks again ....
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beesidhu wrote:
Thanks Zu i am going to try this one for sure ...so if i use self raising flour i omit the baking powder and S.Bio ??? Also these days the condense milk is all creamer type ...should that do the job aswell ???
island Thanks again ....

Beesidhu, I omitted both the baking powder and s.bio when I used self raising flour. For the condensed milk, I used the normal ones I get from the shop.

Zu
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu made the cake yesterday ..just could not wait ...but i think i baked it on less temp so it turned out ok ...but its a bit wet ...anyways ..i will try again, the taste was good and i used those creamer type condense milk ..could not find the other type .. Smile
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beesidhu wrote:
Zu made the cake yesterday ..just could not wait ...but i think i baked it on less temp so it turned out ok ...but its a bit wet ...anyways ..i will try again, the taste was good and i used those creamer type condense milk ..could not find the other type .. Smile

Is there a creamier type of condense milk? Never seen it here though. Glad you like the taste Smile

Zu
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu, was just wondering i used the condense milk which stated the weight as in grams...how do u convert that into ml ?? Am thinking now maybe the cake was a bit wet cos of my wrong measurments !!! :( Anyways ...plz do share any more vegetarian recepis you have for cakes !! Smile Smile
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beesidhu wrote:
Zu, was just wondering i used the condense milk which stated the weight as in grams...how do u convert that into ml ?? Am thinking now maybe the cake was a bit wet cos of my wrong measurments !!! :( Anyways ...plz do share any more vegetarian recepis you have for cakes !! Smile Smile

For liquid, gm and ml are interchangable. For 500ml is equivalent to 500gm. I used milkmaid condensed milk in the can. You may want to either increase the flour slightly or reduce a bit of the milk. Because the recipe uses quite a lot of condensed milk, the top will brown quite fast. You may want to reduce the temperature and bake a little longer but make sure you don't burn it.

If I find good vegetarian cake recipes, will share it here Smile

HTH
Zu
lutein
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that ml and g is directly convertible for condensed milk. For water it is 1:1, but condensed milk is denser than water.
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case Lutien how do i convert the grams into ml??? The condense milk tin i used was 505grams ...plzz help if you can ..Thanks Smile
lutein
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no idea because I do not know the density of condensed milk. Best is to measure into a cup and weigh! Smile
alyssa
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beesidhu, I just checked one of my Rose Levy Beranbaum baking books, and she puts 1 (american) cup (i.e. 240ml) of sweetened condensed milk at 316g. Sorry, too lazy to go to kitchen to verify this Very Happy but I think it should be around there. In other words, one tablespoon (15ml) of condensed milk is just shy of 20g.

Reading the recipe again, I somehow think the original recipe probably called for using a whole big can (the bigger cans of condensed milk that can be found in Malaysia) because the water is then measured out of the same can.

And just thinking off the top of my head, your cake may be a little wet if you use only self-raising flour and no other leavening. I noticed the recipe calls for a large amount of leavening agents. 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp baking powder has a rough leavening power equivalent to about 5 tsps baking powder! This is probably to take the place of the leavening action that would otherwise have been provided by eggs.

So if you use only 230g self-raising flour, that would be only about just over 2 3/4 tsps baking powder inside. Maybe you can try adding another 1 to 1 1/2 tsps of baking powder on top of the self-raising flour? Unfortunately I I won't be able to tell you what the exact result will be without testing it out myself.

PS If you find the cake is browning very quickly because of the condensed milk, then probably best to use baking powder instead of baking soda (which also has the effect of promoting browning in the cake).

Sorry very long winded reply. But hope it helps.
beesidhu
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alyssa, your ideas a great help ...i think i should stick to that longer tin of condense milk and half of it water ....maybe there was too much liquid ..thus it remained wet like ...as for the flour i think as Zu says if using self raising then no need to add baking powder ...anyway will add just a pinch ...just to know ...Thanks again .. Smile
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alyssa for the input Smile

Beesidhu, hope your attempt this time will be a success. Just to let you know that the crust that I get is very dark brown. If top is not brown enough, it could still be undercooked and thus wet. ;)

HTH

Zu
alyssa
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beesidhu, no problems. coffee

Zurynee, my pleasure. Hope you don't mind me butting in Wink
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alyssa wrote:

Zurynee, my pleasure. Hope you don't mind me butting in Wink

No problem alyssa, it's a great help because I don't hv the time to check those things out Embarassed

Zu
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 cup condensed milk = 200g

beesidhu wrote:
In that case Lutien how do i convert the grams into ml??? The condense milk tin i used was 505grams ...plzz help if you can ..Thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pound & Butter All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: