Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chocolate Truffles For Valentine's Day...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Candy & Chocolate Factory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Chocolate Truffles For Valentine's Day... Reply with quote

Here are some of my favourites!

Baileys irish cream truffles:
12 oz Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup Heavy cream
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 Egg yolks
1/4 cup Baileys irish cream

Melt chocolate, Baileys and heavy cream together over very low heat. Whisk in yolks, one at a time; mixture will thicken. Whisk in butter. Refrigerate overnight, or until firm. With spoon make small balls. Roll in powdered sugar, cocoa, chopped nuts, sprinkles, etc.

*all truffles,if otherwise not credited to respective chefs,are shared by a chocolatier friend

Last edited by Stefanie on Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: WHITE CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT-APRICOT TRUFFLES Reply with quote

(makes 28 truffles)

1 1/4 cups hazelnuts
1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
24 ounces good white chocolate
6 tablespoons heavy cream

On a baking sheet, spread out hazelnuts. Bake at 350 F for 10 minutes, or until nuts are light brown and the dark skins are cracked. Remove as much of the skins as possible by rubbing nuts in a terry-cloth towel. Finely chop nuts in a food processor.

In a 1-quart glass container, combine 12 ounces white chocolate, cut up and 6 Tbl heavy cream.

Microwave mixture on MEDIUM (70% power), 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until chocolate is melted and smooth. [You can do this step in a double-boiler if you don't have a microwave.]

Stir into melted chocolate 3/4 Cup of the chopped nuts and 1/4 Cup finely chopped dried apricots.

Cover the mixture and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, or until mixture is firm enough to hold its shape. (If mixture gets too hard, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or so, until firm but soft enough to shape.)

Form 28 smooth 1 1/4-inch diameter balls,by rolling 1 Tbl of the mixture between your (clean!) hands.

Place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until firm,1 hour or longer.

In a small glass dish, place another 12 ounces white chocolate, cut up.

Microwave on MEDIUM (70% power), 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often,until chocolate is melted, smooth, and warm.

Work quickly so the dipping chocolate does not harden before you are through. If it does, pop it back into the microwave for a few seconds.

Using a fork to 'hold' the truffle (do not 'spear' the truffle.
I found 2 forks worked better for me. Maybe you are not as clumsy as I am), dip the truffles, 1 at a time, into the melted chocolate.
Tap on edge of dish to remove any excess. Place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and, before the dipped layer can harden, sprinkle with the remaining chopped nuts
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Bourbon Creme Confections Reply with quote

YOU NEED:
1 cup finely chopped or ground pecans
1 ounce bourbon
1 (16-ounce) package powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 (12-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips or preferred chocolate
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or butter

Combine chopped pecans with bourbon and set aside for 15 minutes.
Cream sugar and butter. Add pecan/bourbon mixture and mix well. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until well-chilled.
Melt chocolate and shortening in top of a double boiler over simmering water. Using a wooden pick inserted into a ball or 2 forks to 'hold' as described earlier , dip into melted chocolate, coating well. Place on the waxed paper-lined baking sheet; chill until firm. Store in an airtight container
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Bitter chocolate truffles Reply with quote

A very basic recipe,feel free to roll them in chopped toasted nuts,cocoa powder,or use half bitter chocolate and milk chocolate if you happen to dislike pure bitter chocolate.
Bitter chocolate is defined as containing 70 to 85 percent cocoa solids.
Because of the intense rich flavour of this truffle in particular,don't form large ones.

YOU NEED:
150 ml double cream
400g bitter chocolate, broken into small pieces
4 tblspns unsalted butter, softened
best quality unsweetened cocoa powder

in a saucepan boil the double cream until it reduces to two tablespoons. remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted. add the butter and stir gently, then pour into a large flat plate. put in the fridge for approximately 45 minutes or until chilled and set.

with a teaspoon scrape across the chocolate so that it forms a rough truffle shape, in large curls, NOT solid round balls! roll them in the dry cocoa powder. put them in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Orange Scented Chocolate Truffles Reply with quote

YOU NEED:
1 cup cream (I use ordinary thickened)
zest of 3 oranges cut into strips
240g white chocolate (I use Cadbury's Dream), finely chopped,for friends who love white chocolate...I personally think it's rubbish... Embarassed
So I use the equivalant of dark chocolate
Dessicated coconut,icing sugar,chopped almonds,or cocoa powder to coat

HOW:
Place cream and orange zest in saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Take off heat and let it steep about 30 minutes.

Place chocolate in a bowl. Reheat cream until it's just boiling and strain over chocolate. Let stand 30 seconds then stir gently until the chocolate melts. Chill until firm and then roll walnut sized portions in choice of coating. Chill till firm.
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bitter chocolate truffles Reply with quote

Stefanie wrote:
A very basic recipe,feel free to roll them in chopped toasted nuts,cocoa

How do you roll this in nuts as they're in curls?

Stefanie wrote:
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or butter

Is there any difference in the taste between butter & shortening?

Can I substitute bourbon with other liquors like brandy or whisky or kahlua?
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alannia,dust your fingers with cocoa powder or icing sugar and quickly form rough round shapes...they will be almost hollow inside.
If you do use half bitter and half milk chocolate,it's ok to use a melon baller to scoop and form truffles.

Substitute with your favourite liquer,it's your call!
Very Happy
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Rocky Road Truffles Reply with quote

from Tyler Florence.

YOU NEED:
4 peanut-caramel candy bars (Snickers), frozen
1 recipe Dark Chocolate Truffles, see above, whipped but not set
1/4 cup dried cranberries
150g good-quality (70 percent) dark chocolate

Pulse the frozen candy bars in a food processor until broken into shards. Fold into the cooled chocolate mixture along with the cranberries. Spread over the bottom of a baking dish and smooth the top. Refrigerate about 2 hours, until firm.
Use a melon baller to scoop out balls of the chocolate mixture; place them on a parchment or waxed paper lined baking sheet and set them aside for an hour or 2 to let them come to room temperature.

Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler and remove from the heat. Use a spoon to dip the truffles them into the liquid chocolate, then return them to the baking sheet. Chill until set.

Dark Chocolate Truffles:
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces good-quality (70 percent) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup cocoa powder, for dusting
In a saucepan, bring the cream just to a simmer over low heat. Pour the cream over the chocolate in a bowl and let stand about 10 minutes to melt the chocolate. Add the vanilla and stir until smooth. Set aside to cool for 1 hour at room temperature. Then beat the chocolate at medium speed until it gets thick and light colored. Spread over the bottom of a baking dish and smooth the top. Refrigerate about 2 hours, until firm.

Pour the cocoa powder onto a deep plate or shallow bowl. Use a melon baller or small ice cream scoop to scoop out balls of chocolate; place them on the plate with the cocoa powder and roll between 2 forks to completely coat with the cocoa powder. Then use the forks to carefully transfer them to a parchment or waxed paper lined baking sheet.

Yield: 15 to 20 candies, depending on size
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: MILK CHOCOLATE AND COFFEE BEAN TRUFFLES Reply with quote

Ingredients
75ml double cream, heated
100g milk chocolate, melted in a bowl above a pan of simmering water
coffee beans
1 tbsp Cocoa Powder

Method

1. Heat the cream in a sauce pan and add into the melted milk chocolate and set aside to cool and harden.

2. When nearly firm, roll into 12-18 balls and push a coffee bean into each one.

3. Roll in the cocoa powder and chill in the refrigerator to harden for 30 minutes.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: WHITE CHOCOLATE & ESPRESSO TRUFFLES Reply with quote

Ingredients
75ml double cream, heated to almost boiling point
1 vanilla pod, scraped out into the cream
100g white chocolate, melted in a bowl above a pan of simmering water
50g Hazelnuts, finely crushed
1 tbsp ground espresso coffee

Method
1. Scrape the vanilla pod into the saucepan and add the cream and simmer to almost boiling point.

2. Add the hot vanilla cream into the melted white chocolate, mixing well.

2. Mix in the nuts and set aside to cool and harden.

3. When nearly firm, roll into balls and roll in coffee. Harden in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: CHOCOLATE-CHAMPAGNE TRUFFLES IN SPARKLING SUGAR Reply with quote

Something I tried today,super duper good!
My cousin bought me sanding sugar from Australia,but you can buy from B-I-Y in different colours!
Mine was just plain white...really MUST get to B-I-Y soon... love u
Original recipe from Martha Stewart,click here to see that it looks like:
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe2330036&contentGroup=MSW&site=weddings

Makes about 3 dozen
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used 70% dark chocolate)
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Champagne
1 tablespoon brandy
Coarse sanding sugar, for rolling

1. Bring the cream to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Immediately pour hot cream over the chocolate in a medium bowl; stir until smooth. Stir in the Champagne and Cognac. Refrigerate until chocolate mixture is firm enough to roll into balls, about 1 hour.

2. Using a small melon baller, form 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in coarse sanding sugar, and transfer to rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate truffles at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days before serving.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: DUTCH MINT TRUFFLES Reply with quote

Another one I made today,using creme de cacao,a slightly chocolatey liquer. If you have Vandermint liquer,use it by all means,I don't... :(
Excellent...really different using fresh mint leaves.

YOU NEED:
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup (lightly packed) fresh mint leaves (about 1 ounce)
12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup Vandermint liqueur or cr
Simona.B
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for recipes Stefanie , I will try them soon !!!!
"... we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him... " Romans 8:28
Stefanie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Simona,a warm welcome to you by the way,hope to get to know you better... Very Happy
piggish
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stefanie,

thanks for sharing all these recipes for truffles! I've got a question for shaping the bitter choc truffles..are there any other shapes that i can make them apart from large curls? Coz i've eaten really yummy ones that i think were piped and in ball-like shapes..any clue how that might be done?
simonne
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm thinking to make these truffles as Christmas Gifts. But hor, Truffles are sensitive to temperature right ? So will melt easily ?
Is there any thing i can add into truffles so that it won't melt so easily.

Also, How about i made DIY chocolate into mould , would that be better ( not easily melt) ?

Thanks!
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonne if you use a patissier chocolate like the one from Carrefour it will be more stable.
Over the last few times,I found that a melon baller does the job nicely of scooping the truffles into even shapes and sizes,minimising you handling the choc as well.
chilli padi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi stefanie,

can heavy cream be replaced with whipping cream in these recipes?
thanks
Stefanie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chilli padi...I don't think it will set as well,you need heavy cream to stabilise the texture. Very Happy
chilli padi
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks stefanie. will get the pattisier choc from carrefour to try. saw the offer in today's paper. great timing i say. cheers
Angel71
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stefanie,

I am planning to do truffles for X'mas and did some search on All Recipes. The main ingredients were cream cheese, icing sugar, chocolate chips & extract. Your recipes call for heavy cream. Is there a difference between using cream chese vs heavy cream? Btw, can i buy heavy cream in NTUC?

Thanks Stefanie.
lutein
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is the flavour and texture will be different. Heavy cream is more runny and the truffles will melt very easily. Cream cheese is more solid and my guess is the truffles will be easier to handle.

Some NTUC outlets sell this whipping cream called Emborg. It can be used for making truffles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Candy & Chocolate Factory All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: