Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Lemon Meringue Pie (rec & pics)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pies, Tarts & Quiches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Lemon Meringue Pie (rec & pics) Reply with quote

Make a pie crust:
2 cups (260 gr.) flour
1/2 teaspoon (4 gr.) salt
8 Tablespoons (110 gr.) cold lard or butter
3 Tablespoons (60 ml) of very cold water

In a bowl or food processor place flour, salt and the fat. At a slow speed or with your hand mix the ingredients until forms small and sandy lumps. Add 1 Tablespoon at a time of cold water
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shell should look like this once foil removed and baked again for another 5 minutes.

Make the lemon cream

Placed in the shell

Add meringue and make peaks

Just out of the oven

And the final product

In the way to my tummy where is resting right now :lol:

Enjoy
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vee, thanks for the recipe and pics, which are wonderful Smile Nothing beats 'seeing the steps in pictures.

How big is this pie? Also, how do you recommend storing the leftover pie?
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, :lol: my name is Vi (it is pronounced Vee)

You are welcome for the recipe... I really needed to make it again... the previous was made long time ago and all I remember... it was going down fast... very delicious.

The pie is about 20 cm wide... and 3 cm deep, my dish is glass, but any other will work. Just follow the steps.

For storing I will say... leave it to cool at room temperature, then insert in refrigerator uncovered for about 2 hours to prevent condense ... and then you can store in a container of your choice ... I would leave it in the tray for better posture.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC wrote:
Angie, :lol: my name is Vi (it is pronounced Vee)

Embarassed Embarassed , sorry about that. I will get it right now, Vi.

Thanks, got it. Very Happy This will be a challenge to make, I've never made a meringue tart before :roll:
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie,
Truth to tell I was scared too the first time... I thougt I could never make meringue.
You think is difficult but is not at all.

Step 1. Make crust
Step 2. Make cream
Step 3. Make meringue

The rest is just assambling... baking time is also short. All in all... looks scary but is very easy.

Fist meringues I made it was for the special wilton icing... were you make just the meringue and you bake it... then you turn in into powder and with that powder I make icing. It was a succes and so easy I couldn't believe it.

Look at them...

Last edited by MamaC on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Linda
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie

Shouldn't be a challenge/problem for you lah, if a "dummy" like me in Secondary school (many, many, many moons ago) can make it. This was one of the dishes that was taught in Home Econs class. I remember the tough part of doing the meringue (getting it to the right consistency). But ... for you my dear, it's not a problem.

Hmm ... this is bringing me some fond memories. Think I'll try baking it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi, like what you said, maybe breaking it into small steps makes it less intimidating Smile

Linda, you are too kind. Me? Breads and cakes still can do so-so, tarts and pies and meringues, never really ventured into that. The last time I made a 'pie' was a quiche. I am hoping to see your meringue too coffee
Linda
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi

Ooh ... sounds interesting - using meringue to make icing. Can share the recipe and steps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC, *2 thumbs way up* Thank you, thank you. As Angie said, nothing better than seeing the steps in photos. You are really too kind *big kisses* Very Happy
Linda
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie

Here's my lemon meringue pie. When will I see yours?

MamaC

How did I do? Did my pie pass your "inspection"? Didn't know how to swirl my meringue like yours, so I did it the abstract act way Wink . I have a question though ... is it normal while the pie is cooling at room temperature to have some liquid between the lemon filling and meringue?
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda wrote:
Angie

Here's my lemon meringue pie. When will I see yours?

Linda, you are very fast coffee Your meringue swirl until pretty high.

Me? Err... must wait for the correct 'mood' first, hee...
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda.. u r fast...
Angie u are right.. must wait for mood to be right 1st.. else very hard to do such things.. when i no mood.. they turn out to be failures hahaa
Linda
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, Jo

Agree about the moods. Guess when I saw the recipe, it brought back some memories of school days.

I have to say that MamaC's recipe is easy to do, but I reckon this pie is not quite up our Asian palette. It is a taste to be acquired. My kids didn't like it, both my dh and I found it too sweet (my dh is diabetic and I have low tolerance for sugar). In the end I had to throw 3/4 of the pie away :cry: All the effort .... plus the pie turned out well. :cry: pity ...
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout exclud the merigue?? it wun b so sweet rite??? since its lemon...
its a pity but singaporeans really dun take such sweet stuff
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda ... the recipe was given to me was with 1 1/2 cups sugar... I gave only 1 cup.

1 cup of sugar to 1/2 cup to lemon juice... I am surprised it was sweet for your taste. Are you sure it was sweet and not sour? But you did a great job.

Some lemon meringues tarts loose some syrup and is it because the sugar in the meringue was not well dissolved.

My tart is actually mellow in taste in my opinion
Linda
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo

Unfortunately it is not just the meringue :cry:

MamaC

The lemon filling is both sour and sweet (more sweet than sour). I was thinking perhaps I will cut down the sugar to 1/4 - 1/2 cup for the lemon filling and perhaps do without the meringue. Must check with my kids if they want me to try again. No point trying if it doesn't suit their liking.

Guess the Asian's sugar tolerance is less than American's, especially mine which is even lower than normal Singaporeans. Such a pity MamaC, it was a nice pie. If only you live close to me, I could have given it to you Wink
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, I agree with you, this pie isn't quite up to Asian palette. But since my husband is american and I make this pie every week, I'm also addicted Razz

MamaC, I have a problem about the meringue... my whole pie is absolutely fine after baked. But after a half day or so, there're quite many drops of moist appear on the meringue.
I have done two different meringues: the regular one like yours and the Italian one (hot syrup poured in egg foam). But both ways still have the same problem as I mentioned. Do you have any clue?
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseymom wrote:

MamaC, I have a problem about the meringue... my whole pie is absolutely fine after baked. But after a half day or so, there're quite many drops of moist appear on the meringue.
I have done two different meringues: the regular one like yours and the Italian one (hot syrup poured in egg foam). But both ways still have the same problem as I mentioned. Do you have any clue?

Same thing happens to me everytime I made this pie. island Mine sometimes start 'melting' after a few hours :(
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseymom
I have done this pie so many times, I never had moisture on the meringue, I had a little (not more than let's say 1 Tablespoon) under (that is because the sugar is not completly melted or the cream is too warm).

Did you refrigerat the pie warm but covered? Maybe? And creat the condens?

Cwl... yours maybe melted because you didn't baked it long enough.
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC,
thanks for your advice. I also took a pic... does it happen on your pie?

the only step I did different from yours is I put the meringue when the lemon custard is still hot. Not sure if it's the reason... but then that's the way to avoid "wrinkles" meringue later (well, the cookbook says so...). However, I will consider to follow your step if it's the reason to cause condens.

mmm... I think cwl's talking about "melt" means her meringue slightly flattens down?
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseymom wrote:

mmm... I think cwl's talking about "melt" means her meringue slightly flattens down?

Wow, Jerseymom, your meringue pie looks good-mah. I like your nice even browning of the meringue.
No, my 'melting' is the area between the meringue and lemon curd. I think I probably topped the meringue when the curd was still warm, as MamaC said. But so did you and you didn't get the same problem.. island island One day. I'll be brave enough to try this pie one more time.... :roll: :roll:
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseymom
It never happened to me (I live in the desert). But I like the look of your meringue. It is yummy looking.
This is the only dessert I can eat the whole thing on my own, in different days of course : wink:

All I learned about meringue that is very sensitive to the cream below and the humidity above. Mine never got wrinkled after.

But as many times I made it... I was satisfied with the results.

cwl I would say... try it in every way possible. If it is a dessert you like ... try it until you get it.
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC wrote:

cwl I would say... try it in every way possible. If it is a dessert you like ... try it until you get it.

Thanks for your encouragement, MamaC. :lol:
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl wrote:
my 'melting' is the area between the meringue and lemon curd.

in the very beginning when I made this pie I encountered this problem. Two reasons for me...
1. I cut the pie too early. My pie actually needs a few hours to get set completely. Cut it before the problem would occur.
2. (this may confuse you and is contrary to MamaC's method)... I didn't add the meringue when the lemon custard was super hot. I read a couple of books (incl Joy of Baking) suggested this solution... right after pour in the hot bubbling custard then immediately add the meringue, also make sure the meringue seal well all around the crust. Therefore, the meringue can continue to be "cooked" by the hot custard.

Then ever since I don't have your problem. However, I still can't solve my conden problem, you might try MamaC steps Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pies, Tarts & Quiches All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: