Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Make your own Soft Butter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Make your own Soft Butter Reply with quote

Make Your Own Soft Butter

I cut 200g hard butter (just out of my freezer) and place it in a microwavable container.

I microwaved it, medium, in spurts of 20 sec, till it became soft. (Today it took 3 spurts, sometimes only 2 spurts would bring it to creamy stage :roll:) Cream it to ensure that the butter is really soft.

Slowly add 50g preferably olive oil (more healthy, leh) or other "more healthy" choices. Stir to blend oil into creamed butter.

Replace in fridge to "harden" into soft butter. You would then have soft butter at hand anytime.

S_ter

:roll:
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_ter

isn't this unhealthy..melting butter and adding olive oil? although olive oil is healthy..but mixing it with melted butter, then refridge it. butter already so oily..plus olive oil..lagi oily :lol: island

i prefer lots of butter or lots of olive oil but not mix the 2 together.

I don't know about others, but I find olive oil a bit 'smelly' so you must enhance the flavour with fresh herbs.

Very Happy Razz

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
S_ter: isn't this unhealthy..melting butter and adding olive oil? although olive oil is healthy..but mixing it with melted butter, then refridge it. butter already so oily..plus olive oil..lagi oily :lol: island

Hi gina: First, let me thank you for shifting this to the correct forum.

Yes, rather unhealthy but when once I was eating 100% pure butter, now I'm consuming about 75% with the addition of the oil. :lol: And as this "soft" butter is very spreadable, I now use even less, compared with the thick slapping on of solid butter once-upon-a-time...

Here I gave the original recipe my Ozzie friend made... but I actually use the only oil I have at home (100% peanut ~a monosaturate) which has no smell. However, when I tried hers in Oz, the olive oil was not overpowering. Probably I'm bluffing myself over the health issue, but I do love my butter Embarassed Embarassed although I do not eat it every day.

Gina wrote:
i prefer lots of butter or lots of olive oil but not mix the 2 together. I don't know about others, but I find olive oil a bit 'smelly' so you must enhance the flavour with fresh herbs. Very Happy Razz

Yes, I also find olive oil a bit overpowering, but many other "healthy" oils are quite bland.

Thank you for pointing out the two "challenges" about this soft butter. So "let the try-er beware..." Wink Wink

S_ter
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_ter

Butter in my fridge is only used for cooking or baking. I seldom take butter on its own, with bread or anything.

I am trying to cut down on alot of oily stuff these days as Pauline gave me a task to try out new recipes, testing them at home. So I am actually eating alot of food now..more than ever island :shock:

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina
invite us over and we try for u lar haha
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina (& jo): <hands over head waving frantically> Yes, remember me if you do need taste testers. :lol: :lol: :lol: Will be happy to work with Jo and then try to work off calories thru deep water exercising and line dancing....

S_ter
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_ter.. yeah... haha.. anyway Gina.. advise you to drink a cup of plain oatmeal everyday.. it helps to reduce alot of bad fats and cholestrol things... think atthe rate u cook to test out recipes u should really add this into one of your meals. I drink that for lunch everyday for some period.. and its really effective..
Alannia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo, do you mean you substitute the oatmeal for lunch or do you still have lunch? When you say 1 cup of oatmeal, how much oats do you put in?
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im one who dun eat breakfast and hardly take regular lunch.. so when im hungry during lunch time and no food at home(which happens quite frequently) i will take the oatmeal.. i take about 6table spoon.. jus add hotwater.. after 5 mins when they soften up i just drink them up.. filling and healthy
Alannia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, like that. Will give it a try.
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alannia do give it a try.. u will not be used to it at 1st.. cos its plain no taste and its very gooey.. some people find it disgusting but after a few days u grow to like it.. for a start u can add some coco powder/milo/condense milk.. i start off plain and always plain unless i feel mouth too bland i add a bit coco powder. sometimes i eat plain yoghurt as lunch too. i can finish 1 kg of plain yoghurt in 3 days
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo, you can make your own granola too... which is toasted oatmeal. I don't really like the gooey oatmeal, but toasted, no problem. It's really yummy with milk or yogurt. They cost a bomb at the health food stores, so I make my own.
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWL
how do i eat the gronola?? cook with milk?or i just mixed them?
do post a recipe if you can.. bet this is another healthy meal :lol: so excited..
just to share... last week i ate oat for 5 days in a row for lunch..with an apple.. i lost an inch on my waist... my sis say im crazy
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo, granola is like cereal but healthier. Cereal is normally loaded with sugar and transfats. Granola is toasted with honey and a little oil. Yum. Will post recipe soon. You eat it mix wth milk/yogurt/ice cream. No need to cook.

waahh... lost an inch off your waist?? I'm envious Mr. Green Mr. Green You must have stronger will power than me. Wink
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlskrona wrote:
CWL
how do i eat the gronola?? cook with milk?or i just mixed them?
do post a recipe if you can.. bet this is another healthy meal :lol: so excited..
just to share... last week i ate oat for 5 days in a row for lunch..with an apple.. i lost an inch on my waist... my sis say im crazy

Jo, here's the granola recipe thread
http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=51380#51380
I hope you like it. :lol:
Alannia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been eating oatmeal but not consistently for 1 whole week. Maybe twice a week or so. But I do not like the bland taste so I just add Milo or with some chicken stock. Will give it a try for a week, Jo. Let you know the result.
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl thanx alot!
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl wrote:
Jo, granola is like cereal but healthier. Cereal is normally loaded with sugar and transfats. Granola is toasted with honey and a little oil. Yum. Will post recipe soon. You eat it mix wth milk/yogurt/ice cream. No need to cook.

waahh... lost an inch off your waist?? I'm envious Mr. Green Mr. Green You must have stronger will power than me. Wink

cwl
i have no will power.. cos im the kind who needs alot of carbo.. just that lunch is always boring for me to eat alone.. no mood to eat anything fanciful.. so the inch off the waist is not deliberate one :lol:
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks s_ter for sharing the soft butter Smile Now I am taking olive oil spread, this would be an alternative for me ;)

Zu
S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zurynee wrote:
Thanks s_ter for sharing the soft butter Smile Now I am taking olive oil spread, this would be an alternative for me ;) Zu

Zu, you're welcome. And congrats on being a filled oven... :lol: :lol: :lol:
S_ter
zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Oatmeal Reply with quote

karlskrona wrote:
im one who dun eat breakfast and hardly take regular lunch.. so when im hungry during lunch time and no food at home(which happens quite frequently) i will take the oatmeal.. i take about 6table spoon.. jus add hotwater.. after 5 mins when they soften up i just drink them up.. filling and healthy

Hi, just read this. Is the oatmeal here refering to Instant Quaker Oat too? Thanks. One day, I will try out S-ter's soft butter. Thanks.
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
the instant ones
zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: oat Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Very Happy
luvzbaking
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zurynee wrote:
Thanks s_ter for sharing the soft butter Smile Now I am taking olive oil spread, this would be an alternative for me ;) Zu

Zurynee
Initially I also thought olive oil spread was 'healthier' than other spreads until I started reading labels and ingredients in all 'processed foods' I buy since there was so much publicity on nasty foods out there.

Not very nice to learn that the olive oil spreads we have here in Australia contain only about 16% olive oil. 'Vegetable oil' was in the list of ingredients and more than likely this will be canola oil, which we have recently learnt is terrible for health.

Now I only buy spreads that are 'pure butter' or those softened with sunflower oil. Australian labelling laws are strict with regard to what ingredients are used and their percentages, so it does help me choose what I buy. And recently I was also thinking of making my own 'soft butter' by doing what S_ter recommended here, ie, adding oil to butter. I currently use rice bran oil for all my cooking so I will use that to 'soften' my butter. I too don't much like olive oil as the strong flavour is not 'nice' for normal cooking, only for pasta thats got heaps of garlic in it
grin.
________
buy aromed vaporizer
________
Lamborghini murci?lago specifications

Last edited by luvzbaking on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
limaupurut
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luvzbaking, just curious, why is canola oil bad for your health? I thought it was supposed to be one of the healthier cooking oils. I'm in the US, and so far haven't heard about this. sigh.... sounds like even those that start off being good for you, ends up otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Sauce/Jam/Paste/Dips All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: