Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Spiral Pandan Pastry
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Spiral Pandan Pastry Reply with quote

Spiral Pandan Pastry

This is for the full recipe of 20 pieces, I only made half recipe this time. For yam pastry, just replace the pandan paste with yam paste, and the filling to yam(steam yam, mash while hot and add in sugar to taste)

Water Dough (A)
200g plain flour }sift
28g icing sugar }
80g cold butter
80g water

Cut butter into flour mixture using fingertips or pastry blender until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add in water and mix to form a soft, non-sticky dough. No need to knead. Cover and set aside to rest for 20 mins.

Oil Dough (B)
180g plain flour, sifted
90g oil (I use canola)

Last edited by coxiella on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welld one angie!! your guide is better than the ones i learn hee..
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jo. Hope it will be useful for anyone who wants to try it. Smile
Chips
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, Angie for the easy to follow step by step pics. Never have confidence to try this type of pastry as the steps seem so complicated. Pastry don't like me but seeing your beautiful pastries makes me want to give it a go. You are very good with your hands.
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie...THANKYOU *muak, muak*

Your step-by-step photos make it so easy even for dungu pastry maker like me :roll: :roll:
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie,

I had read one or two of its recipes before but never dared to try. Now I'm ooohing-n-aaahing while reading your steps, very clear! Thank you so much.

I have three questions...
1. The dough of pic13 with its seam side down, isn't it?
2. Since I'm a big fan of shortening, can you tell me where it originally goes to?
3. Do you have other suggestion on the flavor/color of dough(B)? If the tradional only carries one flavor, I'm ok with that too.

Too bad I didn't buy any yam or red bean paste today... but I'll try to think of other thing else :roll: Your pastry is really a work of art, beautiful!
dewitan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie!!!!!

you are a wonderful teacher! Very Happy
piggish
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great step by step pictures! Have tried making the yam spiral pastry but because there were no pictures had to do guess work. Was so relieved when it turned out right..but with ur pictures...everything just seems so clear! Very Happy
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, such beautiful pictures!! Very Happy Very Happy I love the purple and green background , so are so artistic!!
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your kind words, hope I'll be of help here Smile

Chips, do give it a try, it may seem daunting, but with a little patience, you would be able to do it better than me coffee I procrastinated for a long time before I decided to give it a go. But beware of a neck ache after that :twisted:

Cwl, you where got dungu? I still remeber your CCF with Tim Cheong, yummylicious Smile

Putupiring, I'm so Embarassed The background is unintentional. That's actually the design of my placemat. As the work surface is wooden, I hate to get it oily, so I usually use this mat when rolling out pastries :lol:

jerseymom wrote:

I have three questions...
1. The dough of pic13 with its seam side down, isn't it?
2. Since I'm a big fan of shortening, can you tell me where it originally goes to?
3. Do you have other suggestion on the flavor/color of dough(B)? If the tradional only carries one flavor, I'm ok with that too.

Giselle, to answer your questions:

1) Yup, Pic 13 is seam side down, that's after sealing the opening and ready to be placed on the baking tray.
2) For shortening, replace the butter in Dough (A) and oil in Dough (B)with same amount of shortening. I have been trying to figure out for Dough (B)how to incorporate shortening into the flour because the recipes I read only say 'mix flour with shortening until a dough is formed' but there's no water to bind it together, unlike Dough (A) :roll:
Any idea?
3) So far I've only seen yam and pandan... oh yes, and green tea. Paisei, not of much help here Embarassed
Chips
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Angie for the encouragement. Ya, daunting is the word. That is why I never dare try. Neckache? Better try only half recipe first. My kitchen no table have to work standing, might get backache too! Just noticed you have your own blog. Very nice. Keep it up.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, if you don't have pandan/yam essence, can use a few drops of green/violet coloring for Dough (B), but the amount have to be adjusted according to the intensity of your food coloring.
milo-o
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the great step by step guide Very Happy
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie,
Thank you!
For oil dough... if the dough can't form, then I may try to melt the shortening and see how.
Green tea is interesting to me.
Will choose a totally peaceful day to experiment. Very Happy
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC, you're welcome.

Giselle, glad to answer your queries. May the peaceful day come soon (take your time) Wink . This morning I was also scratching my head over Dough B :roll: , and I also thought of melting the shortening, then I see your reply Smile

One important note I should add, the consistency of both doughs should be about the same, so that they can roll out together. So the amount of fat/water may have to be adjusted slightly accordingly Very Happy
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxiella,

my cut doughs are resting at the moment. I made some big balls up. Embarassed

First I opened up my pandan paste, to discover I bought mocha - so quickly 'tumbuk' some pandan leaves for the juice. The juice is so pale - not as green as yours island .

Then as I was rolling and cutting it into half - I looked at your pic and thought - how come your cut dough look so big in the photo. Read the recipe again ** hit head** - (am making 1/2 recipe) I should divide into 5 pcs not 10. Anyway, I have compromised with the last 2 and piggy-back them .

Have you given up on me yet :roll:
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinner wrote:

First I opened up my pandan paste, to discover I bought mocha - so quickly 'tumbuk' some pandan leaves for the juice. The juice is so pale - not as green as yours island .

I think your color will come out slightly paler that's all, my paste is pretty concentrated, dark green color, shouldn't affect the taste. Mocha? Sounds like a good idea coffee

sinner wrote:
Then as I was rolling and cutting it into half - I looked at your pic and thought - how come your cut dough look so big in the photo. Read the recipe again ** hit head** - (am making 1/2 recipe) I should divide into 5 pcs not 10. Anyway, I have compromised with the last 2 and piggy-back them .

Have you given up on me yet :roll:

Sorry I confused you, the recipe above is for the full recipe of 20 pieces, for this 'demo' purpose I only made half recipe for 10 pieces. So you're making half recipe? Smaller pieces are okay, as long as you divide both doughs each into equal pieces, but your filling have to be smaller piece also.

Don't say that, I will not give up on you Wink , sometimes I also blur blur one :lol:
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Angie, you just hit me in the head with this awsome recipe. Just take a look at those beauties.

I love it, must try... no pandan... strawberries here comes the recipe :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the step by step pics...
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi, thanks Very Happy Strawberry sounds like a good idea too, kind of east-meet-west Razz
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxiella wrote:
Sorry I confused you, the recipe above is for the full recipe of 20 pieces, for this 'demo' purpose I only made half recipe for 10 pieces. So you're making half recipe?

coxiella

its not you, its me - hubby always say I read recipe wrong Embarassed. Waiting for afternoon tea to eat it now Smile

Thanks for taking the trouble to post the step by step photos Smile
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did it turn out? Any pics? I'm excited over your pastries :lol: Can't wait for your tea too, I'm going for lunch soon....
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxiella,

Thought I better post this today before I go prepare dinner or else you might 'burst' Smile. Don't look too closely for my spirals Embarassed. My green colour was too shy, but looks aside I was very very happy with the pastry.
It was light and flaky.

I used shortening for Dough A and a mix of shortening & oil for dough B. For the filling, I used the tau sar pang filling as we prefer a more savoury inner.

Both of us give your pastry the thumps up. ** no more nagging from hubby anymore to make 'pang'**. I made heaps of filling, so will be trying to master the spiral when I can go and buy the pandan paste.

Thanks once again for sharing your recipe. Smile
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice nice nice 'pang' Very Happy . Looks like your 'mistake' has turned them into petite looking pastries coffee

sinner wrote:

Thought I better post this today before I go prepare dinner or else you might 'burst' Smile.

You are so right, I've been refreshing my page since I came back from lunch, waiting to see your 'spirals'.

sinner wrote:
I used shortening for Dough A and a mix of shortening & oil for dough B.

How did you mix in the shortening for dough B? Did you melt it :roll:

sinner wrote:
Both of us give your pastry the thumps up. ** no more nagging from hubby anymore to make 'pang'**.

Am glad you both liked the pastry, I'm sure it's flakier than mine since you used shortening Wink So your ears would be quiet for a while before your hubby starts asking for something else :lol:
karlskrona
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Angie
just to share my method which i learnt.. my pastry was asked to be deep fried in hot oil for 2 mins before baking. th lady say it helps to make the layer more puffy.. thus my pastry actualy crumble very easily... its no oily taste.. thou i do know deep frying is quite unhealthy
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlskrona wrote:
hi Angie
just to share my method which i learnt.. my pastry was asked to be deep fried in hot oil for 2 mins before baking. th lady say it helps to make the layer more puffy.. thus my pastry actualy crumble very easily... its no oily taste.. thou i do know deep frying is quite unhealthy

Jo, thanks for sharing. I find this type of pastries already have quite a lot of fats in them, I wouldn't want to subject them to another layer of oil :shock: So far I find this recipe gives pretty flaky and light results, sufficient for us Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: