Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Spiral Pandan Pastry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxiella wrote:
cwl wrote:
.... what filling did she use in her pandan roll? I see it's green in color, so cannot be the regular mung bean paste. Sorry-lor, mandarin illiterate.... Embarassed Embarassed

Cwl, her filling is green tea, but she didn't state exactly what is in it, the white piece is a piece of mochi, quite innovative.

Cwl, Jerseymom, you all know me too well. I will be making something today, but see how it turns out first, otherwise I gotta feed Ha-mu with them :lol: :lol:

Vi, hope you will manage to find some beans :roll:

Thanks Angie. BTW, I saw you were busy in your kitchen on Monday....love your little pie-let :lol: :lol: Remind me of siew pau, but prettier.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl wrote:
Thanks Angie. BTW, I saw you were busy in your kitchen on Monday....love your little pie-let :lol: :lol: Remind me of siew pau, but prettier.

Thanks Cwl. I was a little busy making these time-consuming pie-lets (I like this desciption better than tartlets Wink ). I was actually cursing my molds for being too small. The smaller the item, the more difficult to make, but somehow I enjoy it (self-torture huh :roll: :lol: )

Maybe I shd make siew pau for you next time coffee , but I don't really know how to pinch to seal the dough though...
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxiella wrote:

Thanks Cwl. I was a little busy making these time-consuming pie-lets (I like this desciption better than tartlets Wink ). I was actually cursing my molds for being too small. The smaller the item, the more difficult to make, but somehow I enjoy it (self-torture huh :roll: :lol: )

Maybe I shd make siew pau for you next time coffee , but I don't really know how to pinch to seal the dough though...

ooooo.... *rubbing hands in glee* will wait patiently for your next masterpiece then Wink Wink I remember those Seremban siew paus that were so popular in KL back in the day. *drool*
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie,

I am also thinking of making Seremban Siew Pau - my whole family likes it and had been buying for my mum whenever I go to her place weekly.

Any good recipe for it??

White pau is harder to make... due to texture, smiling etc. I rather make siew pau with nice char siew fillings. Very Happy
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cwl, Cindi, the only siew bao I've seen are the SG ones. Is Seremban siew bao different? It's basically a pastry skin wrapped with char siew filling inside and baked right :roll: ?
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, but I don't know why they call it Seremban siew pau. I guess maybe Seremban has a special recipe. If I remember correctly, the char siew filling even has some green peas. island Am I right Cindi? Haven't had it for more than 10 years!
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl wrote:
Ya, but I don't know why they call it Seremban siew pau. I guess maybe Seremban has a special recipe. If I remember correctly, the char siew filling even has some green peas. island Am I right Cindi? Haven't had it for more than 10 years!

I found one at Kuali, who wants to try? :roll:

http://www.kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2260
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxiella wrote:

I found one at Kuali, who wants to try? :roll:

http://www.kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=2260

Emmmm.....*hands sort of half way up, but shaking a little* island island
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angie,

Here's my attempt at your recipe. My hubby loved the flavour! I wanted to give some to my neighbours and friends and his initial reaction was, "no! don't give any away!" Very Happy

Some observations from my first attempt:
The dough was pretty hard to handle. I kept breaking the water dough when i was rolling them out. I finally found out that I couldn't roll them too thin and also it was better for me when I used my hands to flatten rather than a rolling pin (weird). Also, it was easier to handle if the water dough was kept in the fridge.

The oil dough was a little hard--maybe I needed to increase the oil in the dough. Also, the pandan paste didn't mix well in the dough, leaving it spotty. In your recipe, you said, don't over mix it and so I was afraid to keep kneading for fear of overdoing it. So the color is a little blotchy.

I used purple sweet potato for the filling. I baked the potatoes, skinned, and mashed them. Added a little bit more sugar (splenda actually) and a little bit of butter. It went really well with the dough.

So, I'm quite happy with the results. They don't look as pretty as yours but the taste is wonderful! I will make it again and maybe I'll get better at it. Please let me know if you see how I could improve on it (I know it needs more work!). Thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

Here's my pic:

Cheers, Annie
________
GM 122 engine specifications

Last edited by greengem on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie good job on the sprials rolls. I'm still getting over my tau sah paeng disaster Embarassed but after seeing yours, might try them out over this long weekend.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie, sorry for my late reply. And thanks for trying out this recipe.

I see. These type of pastries are quite delicate. Are both your doughs pretty much the same consistency? As you mention your oil dough is a bit too dry, this may make your rolling difficult if the doughs differ too much in their consistency.

You are right about increasing the oil if the dough is too had because the brand of flours we use are different. Basically the oil dough should form into a ball that's can leave the sides of the bowl, but not dry. Regarding the color, my suggestion, make a well in the flou, add in oil and coloring, mix these two first before drawing in the flour from the sides. It should give a more uniform color.

Thanks for the idea abt sweet potato, another filling to try out.

Hope the above helps. I bet you will get very good at this Very Happy

Cwl, long weekend ya? Someone's going to be hard at work Wink
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya Angie... guess what's on my to do list ? (hint : it's round and green and has sprials...kekekek)
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie,

Are both your doughs pretty much the same consistency?
No, they were very different. The water dough was soft and pliable but the oil dough was hard and crumbly. I suspect I need to add more oil to the oil dough and you're probably right about different types of flour being different. Next time, I will try to make sure that I get about the same consistency for both. Good idea too about mixing the oil and paste first before mixing into the flour. I will do that next time.

Thank you again for your reply. I always enjoy looking at your recipes and pics.

Cheers, Annie
________
Mercedes-Benz W107 350SL specifications

coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl wrote:
ya Angie... guess what's on my to do list ? (hint : it's round and green and has sprials...kekekek)

Cwl, that's not a hint, it's the answer. :lol: :lol: :lol: Wink

Annie, my pleasure to answer your questions, hope I've been of help Smile
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie Smile) and guess what am I going to try really soon? Smile)

cwl is very nice and she will share with me some pandan paste, and I plan to make the real version Smile)

Can't wait to see the result Smile)

Kisses and hugs Wink
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC wrote:
cwl is very nice and she will share with me some pandan paste, and I plan to make the real version Smile)

Vi, that's great!! Looks like both you and Cwl will have a spiralling good time Wink

Btw, you two live near each other, to share the pandan paste :roll:
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, wish I DID live next to Vi. No-lah, she called and we had a loooong yak on the phone. Found out she can't get pandan paste where she's at, so I'm sending her some.
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vi,

Which part of the US are you at? I know cwl is in Kansas right? Wish you guys lived close to me in San Jose. We could meet up and share and bake, etc..AND most of the ingredients you need can be found here with the exception of bread improver and softener and also Ovalette. Any chance someone from Spore or Msia could send me some of that? Vi, if you are in need of ingredients, please feel free to ask me and I can easily send to you. There's really a lot of choices here in the Bay Area---so many Asian grocery stores. Same with you cwl--is Kansas good in terms of finding ingredients?

I can't wait for you guys to try this recipe and post a picture.

Cheers, Annie
________
homemade vaporizers

cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie, thanks for your offer. Ya, wish we were neighbors too. We'd be pot lucking the whole time!!! kekekek

Kansas is so-so at getting asian stuff, found pandan paste in ONE store! I'm envious of all you Californians, good, cheap asian food as well as plenty of asian stores!! Vi's in Boise, Idaho and it sounds like it's worse than KC at getting asian stuff.

For bread improver/softener, get Vital wheat gluten instead. You can find it in any grocery store or even Super Walmart. I use 1 tsp for every 1 cup flour.

BTW, my spirals are in the oven right now. My hands suddenly had a mind of their own and began pulling out the rolling pin... Wink Will post pix tom.
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie, I can send it to you if you want them. I can easily get them here. Just pm me your address.
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie

Thank you for the offer... I am in Idaho :( . Too bad we are not that close.
Loved to get together Smile)
Possible moving soon to Guadalajara, Mexico.
So far I was able to find here almost everything but Pandan Paste.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl wrote:

My hands suddenly had a mind of their own and began pulling out the rolling pin...

Cwl, probably because of the injured finger, the hands have come alive :lol: :lol: Can't wait to see your spirals coffee
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, ya my hands didn't want to wait until the weekend. :lol: Made your spirals yesterday afternoon and must say, I found them easier to do than TSP!! My spirals not as pretty as yours and Jerseymom's but I am so happy with this attempt, I was literally jumping round my table!!! Best of all, DH loves it! The crust is flaky and 'soong'! A big big *MUAK* !
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaC wrote:

Possible moving soon to Guadalajara, Mexico.

Vi, really ?? When? Mexico, so far away.... :cry:
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwl, I will have to try to look for vital gluten in my supermarkets and see if I can find them. As for your spiral pastries--WOW! WOW!! WOW!!! And, yes, I agree the flavor is out of this world good. Now, I have to go get some filling ingredients and try to make it all over again. It's my challenge now to make it as good as you guys' ones. What did you fill yours with?

Vi, off to Mexico?? Why? Wow, that's a pretty big move.

Alannia--thank you so much for your offer! Let me check out cwl's suggestion of using vital gluten first and if it works well then I don't have to mahfan you to get it for me. But if I can't find it, I'll pm you right away. Very Happy

But I'm still stuck when it comes to Ovalette! Is there a suggestion on a substitute here cwl?

Cheers, Annie
________
make a vaporizer

Last edited by greengem on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: