Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Spiral Pandan Pastry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to ask...cwl, did you have trouble rolling out the dough? Was the dough consistency for both pretty much the same for you? What brand of flour did you use?

Cheers, Annie
________
launch box

Last edited by greengem on Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for the compliments Annie. The spirals are really dangerously yummy, aren't they? I used mung beans in my filling. I had some leftover in the freezer from when I made TSP. I used Robin Hood all purpose flour, which I've been using for all my bakes including bread. I find this brand so much better than my previous one, Gold Medal. I hear King Arthur is pretty good.

I didn't have too much trouble rolling the dough out. I'd very, very lightly flour the surface and my rolling pin. I found the dough with the pandan slightly wetter than the other dough. But I resisted adding extra flour, as I was afraid the crust would get tough. Still, I didn't find the doughs difficult to handle as all.

Here's a pix of the Vital Wheat Gluten I'm using. I bought it for only about $1!
http://commerce24.pair.com/webstaff/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=bakingaids

Haven't found a sub for Ovalette. I'd just omit it or check out other recipes that doesn't require it.
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waw Lee, you've done great job with the spirals, can't wait to try mine.

Girls I am moving to Mexico hopefully to open my bekery/cafeteria. Can't do it here, to much involved.
Guadalajara already has over 50000 americans living there... so I will have plenty of costumers, besides I don't dream for a huge place... something on my own and maybe 2 helpers.
Just pastries... no other ... only if everything goes well in couple of years who knows, maybe a restaurant.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cwl, great job on the pastries coffee . Your spiral effects's good, can see the layers, esp for the one on the bottom right in the pic.

cwl wrote:
...I found them easier to do than TSP!! !

Maybe also because you've 'psyched' yourself up, so it became less intimidating liao :lol:

cwl wrote:
I am so happy with this attempt, I was literally jumping round my table!!! Best of all, DH loves it! The crust is flaky and 'soong'! A big big *MUAK* !

Am glad you both like it, and thanks for your MUAK, :lol: :lol:

Vi, opening a bakery/cafeteria? So coffee, don't forget to update us of the progress.
jerseymom
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi, I hope your dream will come true... very soon Very Happy

cwl, whoa! your pastries have very pretty color and flaky texture! I also found the dough is easy to handle/roll.
Annie, whenever you feel diffcult to roll, cover (and chill if the climate's too hot), rest it for 5 mins or so, let the gluten (the protein structure in the dough) relax, then continue. Just a suggestion Razz
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi, Angie, Jerseymom, thanks. Angie, your step by step photos were a BIG help!! I like the texture of this crust much more than TSP.

Vi, CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you, realising your dream and all. Mexico's gain is US's loss! When are you moving?
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hihihi Lee, you know what you know... yeah that's why Smile)

Thank you. We hope before Christmas if not the very begining of spring... There is a lot to move Smile) not leaving my gadgets behind and husband has to relocate the business and we are in preparings right now. I need to get an MF3 (business) visa from the Mexican ambassy... for my gadgets Smile) they are special Smile) and I am driving them all the way there.

So I hope for the best because we were planing for over 3 years to make the move and everytime something comes up and puts a hold on our plans. I think is just about time get over with it.

Angie, sorry for the off topic.
Kiss kiss to forgive me
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cwl, I'm glad the pics helped. Smile

Vi, no apologies needed. It's great to know your plans are slowly(but surely) materializing. Would you be able to access KC as easily when in Mexico :roll: ? Otherwise we'll miss you you know.
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Vi,

Off to Mexico to realize your dream huh? I really hope it works out for you. I can imagine how hard it is to make a big move like this but I know if you have the will, it will happen and success will follow. I wish you all the best. Please keep us updated when this happens.

Cheers, Annie
________
vapor tower vaporizer

greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angie,

I tried this again yesterday and the rolls came out a bit better. Still tears a little bit. I'm too afraid to add too much oil but this time at least the oil dough was softer. I'm happier with the results but I will tweak it some more to see if it can get better. My paste seems to be extra green even though I follow the measurements exactly, so the rolls have a deeper green shade than yours.

Here's my latest pic:

Thank you again. I made it with a friend this time and she took home 1/3 of the whole batch. She was impressed with it too.

Annie
________
california dispensaries

cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annie, I can see your spiral folds this batch! Good job!! FYI, I only used 2 drops of the pandan paste (for 1/2 recipe) that's why my green color alot lighter than yours.
greengem
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you cwl! Yeah, I was definitely happier and will note about using less pandan paste next time.

Btw, I found vital wheat gluten today at the local Safeway store but it was Bob's Mill brand and it was super expensive--something like $7. I wasn't prepared to pay so much for it so I'll keep looking around.

Cheers, Annie
________
Suzuki GS500

cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, the Bob's Mill brand is real expensive. Look for Hodgson Mill, way more affordable. Should be around $1/box.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Annie, glad to know you liked these pastries enough to make them again Very Happy . Yes, the folds are certainly more distinct this time, looks like you're getting the hang of it. I guess the color depends on the pandan paste, I found mine a bit too light, just add to the color you like Wink
cherie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi angie,

Made this last week for the first time using your very useful step by step pic recipe Smile

However, when i roll the dough out to wrap the filling, i find that the dough sticks to my marble top even though i oiled it surface. Hence, the layers for torn. How do i prevent this fr happening? how do you get the dough up without having it torn?

Also, after baking it, the filling burst through the layers and came out in the middle of nowhere. Looks really retarded. Lol. Not one piece of the pastry that wasn't like that. Do you know what happened? The crust was not thin at all. Pretty thick i'd say actually.

Here's a pic of it :

But you cant see the cracked side with the yam filling stuck out in the pic coz i've turned it to the other side Razz

Thank you for the fantastic recipe Smile

Also angie, i think your rolling is fantastic! I can never roll to get the shape i wanted esp round shape. And how do you managed to wrap until the it rounds so nicely? (the last pic) Don't u have excess of the folds after sealing it?
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherie,

Thanks for trying this out. I can see the layers of your pastry quite clearly, especially the lower part of the pastry. Good job for a first attempt! Smile

Hmm.. I don't have a marble rolling board, just a plastic surface, and didn't need to oil the surface. How was your doughs? Is it quite wet? Because I realized that the doughs cannot be too moist, otherwise it makes rolling difficult. But it's strange that they tore at the last rolling. When you roll into the long and thin cylinder at Step 8, did the layers tear?

For the erupting filling, I'm thinking because your layers are torn during the rolling, this has left gaps in between. So when the filling expands during heating, it went through those gaps.

For the round shape, no special technique leh, Since the dough was rolled out round, so it naturally became round after wrapping. I didn't have a lot of excess dough, I just pinch them altogether, place them on the work surface and flatten slightly. The thing is to make the edges thinner than the centre, then you won't have too much to seal.

Not sure if the above is useful :roll:
cherie
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi angie,

Thanks for your reply Smile

>Hmm.. I don't have a marble rolling board, just a plastic surface, and didn't need to oil the surface. How was your doughs? Is it quite wet? Because I realized that the doughs cannot be too moist, otherwise it makes rolling difficult. But it's strange that they tore at the last rolling. When you roll into the long and thin cylinder at Step 8, did the layers tear?

Initially, i didn't oil the surface too and it didn't tear throughout until the last rolling when i need to roll it to a round shape. Weird right? The dough was pretty ok. Not too moist or wet. Just nice. Do you think it'll be ok if i flour the surface the next time round? Will it affect the layers?

>For the erupting filling, I'm thinking because your layers are torn during the rolling, this has left gaps in between. So when the filling expands during heating, it went through those gaps.

The tearing wasn't so bad. Only like 1-2 layers on top got torn. The bottom layer was left untouched. The filling will still go through the layers? Lol. Do i sound absurb with my questions? Razz

>For the round shape, no special technique leh, Since the dough was rolled out round, so it naturally became round after wrapping. I didn't have a lot of excess dough, I just pinch them altogether, place them on the work surface and flatten slightly. The thing is to make the edges thinner than the centre, then you won't have too much to seal.

What i meant is this.. a marked picture for you to scrutinize :lol: U don't get this when wrapping? Wonder how to do away with the unwanted folds..

Meanwhile, thank you for answering my questions. Appreciate it tons angie! Very Happy
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cherie, sorry for the late reply, had problem accessing KC yesterday because I changed my email.

cherie wrote:

Initially, i didn't oil the surface too and it didn't tear throughout until the last rolling when i need to roll it to a round shape. Weird right? The dough was pretty ok. Not too moist or wet. Just nice. Do you think it'll be ok if i flour the surface the next time round? Will it affect the layers?

Hmm, I'm really not sure about flouring the surface, since I've not tried. What I'm worried is you may get white specks on the surface.

cherie wrote:
The tearing wasn't so bad. Only like 1-2 layers on top got torn. The bottom layer was left untouched. The filling will still go through the layers? Lol. Do i sound absurb with my questions? Razz

I guess the bottom layer didn't tear because it's thicker since there's where you pinch. As for the top part, since during the pinching, there is a downward pressure, which could have contributed to the layers tearing.

cherie wrote:
Wonder how to do away with the unwanted folds..

Arh, I get what you mean now. I do have these folds too, but not too think. What I do is try and press them together and push them towards the centre of the bottom (am I making sense huh?). Then when I flatten them slightly, the fols became less obvious.

So paisei, didn't seem to have a good explanation for your questions Embarassed
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angie, You have no idea how much I dream of making this pastry.
Only If I have a day to make it.

Lately I am dreaming of making it with apple filling... what you say?

One question... how do you store it? Is the pastry getting softer if lasts few days?
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi, I'll jump in here for Angie, since we both have US dry temp. I just kept mine on the counter in an airtight container. Was good for weeks. Pastry did get a little soft after a few days, but still delicious.
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lee...

I was thinking that the pastry is flaky like the puff pastry... I know how that is behaving in the long run... but I never experienced this one.
cwl
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi, it's not quite like puff pastry type of flakiness. More like a very light flaky pie type of pastry, that crumbles in your mouth.
MamaC
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand... It looked as it was like puff pastry.

Thank you for turning on the light :lol:
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cwl, thanks for your
cherie
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Angie for your answers.. Very Happy

Will try to improve my skills when i'm in the hardworking mood..Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: