Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Recipe: Tofu Scramble (tastes almost like the real thing!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Eggs & Tofu Dishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lutein
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Recipe: Tofu Scramble (tastes almost like the real thing!) Reply with quote

Okay for those of you who are craving for eggs, try this recipe! I tried tofu scramble for the first time at Real Food Daily (Mohd Sultan Road). Basically, it's just tofu scrambled with some veggies! It looked easy to make (and cheap too), so I searched the web for some recipes.

Most of the recipes available are similar (I mean the steps). The differences lie in the seasoning, as well as the veggies you fry the scramble with. I'm pretty flexible with my recipes so I'll just recite how I make mine, with several possible variations (optional means you can include, or substitute):

Ingredients
1 packet tofu (use firm)
Onions
Garlic
Mushrooms - optional
Chopped spinach - optional (I've used asparagus before. You can also use brocolli)
Diced tomato - optional
Others - corn, long bean, beansprouts... (use your imagination!)

Seasoning
Miso paste -1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-to taste (1/2 teaspoon should be alright; you're adding for the colour and some flavour)
Onions & garlic - optional
Soya sauce (I use Bragg's amino acids)

Steps
  • Season tofu by mashing it, adding all seasoning and leaving it aside (in the fridge) for 1 hour at least
(wait for 1 hour to pass)
  • In pan, fry garlic and onion, then add mushrooms, spinach and tomato.
  • Add tofu mixture and just mix it around
  • Depending on the type of tofu you use, the mixture will be very watery! (I used silken tofu before)
  • Mix mix mix until the water dries up
  • Serve!
Delicious with garlic bread.

Smile
rocher
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my version is a much simple one. Mash the tofu and fry it till water dries up. Then add tumeric poweder for color and yeast powder for the 'egg taste'. May add basil for more flavour. Good for vegetarian.
makanholic
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is yeast powder & where can I buy it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Eggs & Tofu Dishes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: