Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Tandoori Chicken - Amber's Success!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Hot n Spicy Dishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Tandoori Chicken - Amber's Success! Reply with quote

I have always loved South Asian food... Many years ago, when I was new to their cuisine, one of the first things I wanted to try was tandoori chicken. I had seen documentaries on how they prepared breads and meats in a tandoor (a vat shaped clay oven heated with charcoal/wood) and just about salivated!

When I had my first South Asian meal at an Indian restaurant, I loved everything about the food... EXCEPT the tandoori chicken. It was not the succulent meat I had pictured it to be... it tasted like they had soaked the bird in lemon and rubbed it in red colouring. I felt quite cheated!

ANYWAY... yesterday, my sister-in-law Amber and I tried our hand in making our own tandoori chicken and I am so happy to report that it was a success! It was nice and juicy and it was spicy without being overpowering. It was also extremely easy to make too!

TANDOORI CHICKEN

Ingredients

About 1
jc_mum
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this recipe. Smile I like Tandoori Chicken too. Smile Maybe one day I will try creating the whole dinner myself instead of calling for delivery. Smile
jam
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recipe, mamalade. I have always tandoori chicken and going to give this a try soon.
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D: We didn't think it would be that easy either so it was such a pleasant surprise! My mother-in-law's oven is really old so you may want to watch the oven the first time you cook the chicken and adjust the temperature and time. I just reported what worked for us.

Jam: If we have a mummies get-together, we must have a makan session and try all these dishes here!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
Jam: If we have a mummies get-together, we must have a makan session and try all these dishes here!

aha! Shirin, when are you coming back to Singapore? When you do, we can meet at Jam's place and kitchen(coz its HALAL..mine is not)..then I bring raw ingredients there to cook and we can try many many dishes ..

err..sorry Jam, I never ask for your permission to use your kitchen before jumping into this. Embarassed

Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
jam
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
Marmalade wrote:

aha! Shirin, when are you coming back to Singapore? When you do, we can meet at Jam's place and kitchen(coz its HALAL..mine is not)..then I bring raw ingredients there to cook and we can try many many dishes ..

err..sorry Jam, I never ask for your permission to use your kitchen before jumping into this. Embarassed

Gina

No problem here Gina, we'll wait till Shirin is in Singapore and made plan. Normally at our gatherings, we just had potluck and share food and recipes.
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam & Gina: We bought our tickets on Saturday and we will be in Singapore a few days before Hari Raya, God willing ... A potluck sounds like a nice plan!
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
Jam & Gina: We bought our tickets on Saturday and we will be in Singapore a few days before Hari Raya, God willing ... A potluck sounds like a nice plan!

Yay !! can't wait Smile

Zu
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err..when is Hari Raya huh?

I hope not smacked into Xmas coz I have to cook for family gatherings(30 pple type)

Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
jam
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
err..when is Hari Raya huh?

I hope not smacked into Xmas coz I have to cook for family gatherings(30 pple type)

Gina

Gina, it's on the 14th November.

Shirin, how long are you going to be here? looking forward to see you and dd again!!!!
sinner
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade,

Thank you for sharing this recipe. We have always like tandoori anything but have never made our own. This is very good - has a good kick to it Very Happy . I was too lazy to dig out my ginger from the freezer so added 1/2tsp ginger powder instead. Thumps up :lol:
piroshok
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the recipe Marmalade
Yes I agree with you some of the tandoori chickens especially with too much red colouring is off putting and do not taste good for sooo much malt vinegar added.
Anyway I had the opportunity to eat a similar tandoori (very simply done) where it was then USSR and today is Uzbekistan in that region and Kazakhstan, Russia as well as Mongolia tandoor ovens are popular and known as tandir.

Rome wasn't built in a day
Romans founded London and English discovered real food 2007 years later:)
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome guys! Glad it turned out well!
puckers
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade, I tried this over the weekend. Chicken tasted great but I didn't get the "crust" you mentioned. Also, at the end of baking there was quite alot of watery gravy left on the baking pan. Could it be becos I marinated the chicken for too long? (36 hrs becos I didn't bake it Sat nite as planned, but on Sun for lunch.)
piroshok
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of doing Gina's Fried Spiced Chicken but then agian the weather turned out nice and cool so I had chicken in buttermilk(if I resist drinking it) so went ahead and decided for Marmale's tandoori chicken I added my own twist since buttermilk is more acid no lemon or vinegar was required added a teaspoon of sweet spanish paprika and basted with soft butter 10 minutes before removing from the oven. To this I added some rwa tomato chutney(South Indian style) dahl and yogourt raita(chopped garlic,mint and little sprigs of coriander with lime juice) heavenly
Very Happy Very Happy

Rome wasn't built in a day
Romans founded London and English discovered real food 2007 years later:)
awon2004
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Tandoori Chicken Reply with quote

Marmalade, thanks the recipe.

I made the Tandoori Chicken yesterday and it was so delicious.

The only thing was I forgotten to remove the chicken skins and all the flavour was on the skin. But the chicken turned out so nice not dried at all.

Would do it the next time & would try to remember to remove the skins. Very Happy
Glad
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Marmalades for sharing this recipe. I tried yesterday and it was very delicious.
amelia
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade, Thanks for sharing. Taste is good but my skill is so Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Hot n Spicy Dishes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: