Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Kueh Bangkit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Kueh Bangkit Reply with quote

using a silicone mat to bake KB . perfect!

this is how it looks like after baking

Ingredients:
400g tapioca flour
150ml coconut milk
120g sugar
2 egg yolks
3 pcs Pandan leaves

Method:
1. In a wok, dry fry(without oil), the tapioca flour and pandan leaves at medium heat till light and fluffy.
2. Set aside, cool completely before using.
3. Beat egg yolk with sugar till sugar dissolves.
4. Add coconut milk to mix.
5. Add flour to mix till it can form a dough.
6. Roll dough on a floured table and use cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
** I used a palette knife to remove the dough from the table.

7. Baked in preheated oven 170C for 15 to 20 mins.
8. Remove to cool completely before storing in air tight jar.

Important notes:

Temperature setting is important. Never adjust it higher or the cookie gets burnt. Check at around 10 mins to see if the sides are brown. If it is, by another 2 to 3 mins, can remove from the oven.

Don't over baked.

The dough looks pale white in colour. The thickness of the cookie dough should be around 5mm. After baking, it will puff up a bit.

I used a regular spoon and a mixing bowl to do this.

More notes about my new oven
I bought a new oven late last year(2006). My first batch of KB cookies turn out badly burnt and very hard based on the temperature I have in the recipe above.

So I rang up Mrs Cang for help. She has the same oven as mine. The LG SolarDom oven.

Her advice to was to lower the temperature to 155C and to bake for 15 to 20 mins.

And now, the perfect melt-in-the mouth KB.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
kellietham
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, I tried many times on other recipes but failed .., will try your recipe soon and feedback to you ., i am now into the 4th time .. need to practice becos my younger sis loves KB, I don't know why my dough was not easy to roll .. they always stick on the floured table or the rolling pin ..

By the way, do you know what is the name of the round cookies with many holes on it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellietham wrote:
Gina, I tried many times on other recipes but failed .., will try your recipe soon and feedback to you ., i am now into the 4th time .. need to practice becos my younger sis loves KB, I don't know why my dough was not easy to roll .. they always stick on the floured table or the rolling pin ..

By the way, do you know what is the name of the round cookies with many holes on it?

kellie

you free or not? when i make, you can come to my place and we can do it together. coffee

the many holes cookies..is it Kuih Rose? or sometimes called Bee hive biscuits. Visit Jo's Deli website/forum. Recipe is there. her recipe works but most Asian recipes, you must practice. I did so many times, still so ugly to show here. Embarassed

kellietham
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really can? yes .. i would be glad to !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kellie

of course can. You bring your share of the ingredients, I show you how to. Bring your own containers. after making, you bring back your share.

I will make them next week..weekdays. wait, I PM you first.

Fougassetta
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sea shell shape Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fougassetta wrote:
I like the sea shell shape Very Happy

nice to see, but quite a hassle to make. island

tammie
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya the sea shell shape nice...BUt why hassle to make? I tot is use cokkie cutter to get that shape?

I really love to try and bake but my MIL is quite resistant to me getting an oven..sigh...will see how...
Fougassetta
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tammie wrote:
ya the sea shell shape nice...BUt why hassle to make? I tot is use cokkie cutter to get that shape?

Tammie, I think that s because Gina used some chocolate moulds, isn t it Gina?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes..the moulds are deep. after pressing in the dough, its different to remove it without damaging the imprints of the sea shells. have to be gentle.

mkoh
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,
I have seen a number of KB recipes. some require 1tbsp of butter to make the KB melt in the mouth. Is it necessary?
Also, is it required to boil the coconut milk? I heard of this additiona step b4 as well.
raymond
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

Just finish baking KB, I got the recipe from my friend which include 1tsp of salt and 1tbsp butter, but failed. My mum said i did not fry the flour till light and the KB taste a bit salty.

Will like to try your receipe next weekend.
1.Can I check for 400gm of flour it takes est. how many minutes to fry till light?
2. When adding the coconut milk and flour do you add all in or you add the mik and flour alternaly?
3. What brand of tapioca flour you use as I saw there are many different brand on the shelf?

Thanks Razz
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi raymond

Your recipe is interesting. Salt can be added but I think you add just too much. 1 tsp is alot. just a pinch will do. Also, if you add butter, you may not need to add salt. unless you use those butter that is unsalted.

to add salt, you need to take care of when to add it. How does the recipe tell you to do?

as to frying the flour, I fry it with the pandan leaves until the flour looks very dry and fragrant with the pandan.

another way is to put the pandan leaves on a baking tray and put the flour in it. then had to roasted in the oven for 15 mins over 180C oven. when its done, just stir to disperse the heat.

about adding the milk, I just pour in all and use my hands to slowly knead it together to form a ball.

about the brands..I buy whatever the shops near my house sells. Sometimes my hubby gets for me those Shop N Save No-Frills brand. Works just as well.

S_ter
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
... about adding the milk, I just pour in all and use my hands to slowly knead it together to form a ball... about the brands..I buy whatever the shops near my house sells. Sometimes my hubby gets for me those Shop N Save No-Frills brand. Works just as well.

Hi Gina: You're a woman after my own heart... really practical... especially when I make my bakes from butter that are on specials through the year... and not Lurpak nor Golden Churn <the tinned variety>

S_ter
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S_ter wrote:
Hi Gina: You're a woman after my own heart... really practical... especially when I make my bakes from butter that are on specials through the year... and not Lurpak nor Golden Churn <the tinned variety>

S_ter

Esther dear,

I used whatever that is on OFFER, or Buy 1 Get 1 Free type. I never use anything that is 'branded'.

yesterday my students came to my house to learn how to make glutinous rice wine. and they ask me the same question. "what brand of glutinous rice I use?" I say no brand! just ask the uncle for 1 kg, he just weigh and give me Mr. Green

raymond
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

Thanks for your fast reply.

Yah, 1 tsp of salt is too much n I used unsalted butter. I add the salt in the flour.

Will try the roasting method of the flour, this method will not mass up my stove. Today while frying the flour its fly all over my stove.. haha

Embarassed
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkoh wrote:
Hi Gina,
I have seen a number of KB recipes. some require 1tbsp of butter to make the KB melt in the mouth. Is it necessary?
Also, is it required to boil the coconut milk? I heard of this additiona step b4 as well.

oh sorry,

didn't see your question.

no need to boil the milk. for mine, I just take it from the fridge.
as for the butter, it just to soften the dough and to make it more moist, easier to handle. because the traditional recipe is very dry and too much handling will cause it to break. if you don't want to add butter, just add half a tsp of coconut milk.

mkoh
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,
thanks for ur reply. will try out soon. i tried twice last yr, din really work out well, dont ve the melt-in-mouth texture, dunno why. will try ur recipe this yr. thx!
mkoh
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, when u finish kneading the dough, does the dough stick to your fingers or the table top? 4 such cases, i know the flour is too wet, so just add more tap flour rite?
actually, what is the thing dat makes KB melt in the mouth?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkoh

don't overknead it. the dough will not stick to the table or fingers.

the melt in the mouth texture is caused by minimal kneading. the more you work the dough, the harder it gets.

the flour is 400g before dry roasting. after roasting, it shrunk to about 320 g to 340g. so the amount of liquid added based on this recipe is just nice to make it supple and smooth. I usually don't add any more liquid. if I have to, my mom says to use coconut milk because it is creamier and will smooth it better. don't add water, it may break the dough.

mkoh
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gina, thanks so much for the info... much needed. will try to do it this sat. keeping my fingers crossed... ;)
mkoh
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Thanks for all the tips. I made KB over the weekend and this are the results:

I made slight changes to your recipe, hope u dun mind.

Tapioca flour 350gm
Plain flour 50gm

Sugar 150gm
Coconut milk 200ml
Egg yolk 2.5

Pandan leaves

The steps are similar to yours. Only thing was i boiled the coconut milk with the pandan leaves and 2 tbsp of sugar. Left it overnight before the day of baking. Also sieved the coconut and sugar mixture prior to baking.

Mix all the ingredients using a fork in the mixing bowl to avoid over kneading... Smile
My KB took 20 mins in the 170 degree oven.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting

does boiling the milk makes it curdle? how long did you boil it for? the texture of the cookie, what is it like? very curious to know coffee

mkoh
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Just cook the milk over a moderate low fire. Once boil, can turn off the fire and remove the pandan leaves. It curdles a little.

The texture of the KB is quite smooth and fine, quite fragrant bcos of the frying of the flour with pandan leaves and cooking of coconut milk. Maybe the sieving helps too.
I read somewhere that the flour should be fried and sieved at least 3 days b4 the baking.

But then....haven't really achieve the ultimate melt-in-the-mouth effect though. Guess I am still quite happy from this result, considering that I failed badly last yr for KB... :lol:
raymond
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina

Bake the KB yesterday using your recipe but I roast the flour @100 degree for 20mins. After trying your recipe I found that KB is very easy to bake. My dad and mum also said the KB taste wonderful. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: