Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Kueh Bangkit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hippomama
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

I thought after eating so many KB form different houses, I will try to pluck up the courage to bake my own. Just want to ask a few questions first. What kind of coconut milk do you use? Can I just buy the 200ml packs from NTUC? Also, must I cut the pandan leaves to small pieces before I fry with the flour? And lastly, how many cookies does this reciepe make? Thanks.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippomama

I use Kara coconut milk this year. Last year, I use Ayam brand(in tin can). I just wanted to try the packet milk to see if the flavour or taste is any different.

for the pandan leaves, just cut into smaller pieces to fit the wok or pan.

for this recipe, you can get about 80 to 90 cookies. That also depends on how flat you roll out the dough.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
hippomama
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina for the quick reply. I shall go to NTUC to get my stuff and try it later today. Will let you know my results. If can show lah... hope I don't fail.. Smile
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippomama

you need to fry the flour and leave it aside to cool completely before using. So usually, I would fry it today and use it the next day. make sure the flour is completely cooled before you use it.

hippomama
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sob sob Gina! I tried to bake KB but it turned out hard and totally so not "melt-in-your mouth". What happened? I followed your receipe but I halved the ingredients cuz I didn't want to waste in case it failed. I realised that my dough was very hard like not enough water. So I added a bit more coconut milk. But still quite hard to roll out. When I roll it, there were cracks here and there on the dough.

Tapioca flour is the same as the kind used to thicken soups right? I has such a hard time looking for it cuz the Cold Storage near my place and Holland and Jelita all don't have. Then I remembered I have soem tapioca flour I bought some time ago to thicken soups and I used it. Correct right? I fried the flour and cooled it overnight like you suggested.

Pai say leh. Everyone tried yours and say good things and here I am I pluck up my courage to bake and I fail. Please tell me where I went wrong then I try again. Cannot give up right? Smile

Thanks!
Angel71
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gina,

i did KB last night and it was a failure too. went to phoon huat to buy the ingredients after work. they didn't have tapioca floor but instead they assured me that i can do KB with tapioca starch. i wasn't too sure but the store assistant kept telling me that most of their customers by the tapioca starch to do KB. but it turned out very hard. is it becos of the starch?
Edina
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gina, can i fry the tapioca flour a few days before i use it? and regarding the flour i use to dust the rolling pin and surface before rolling, do i use tapioca flour or plain flour? sorry for having so many questions..hehe..thanks in advance!! Very Happy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edina wrote:
hi gina, can i fry the tapioca flour a few days before i use it? and regarding the flour i use to dust the rolling pin and surface before rolling, do i use tapioca flour or plain flour? sorry for having so many questions..hehe..thanks in advance!! Very Happy

Edina

yes you can fry the flour first and use it a few days later. My mom does that all the time. She would dry fry it a week ahead. so she has less things to do on the actual day of baking.

the flour u use for dusting must be tapioca flour. Best to use the one you have dry fry. if you use plain flour, your cookie may turn very hard later.

Edina
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!
jellykaya
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel71 wrote:
hi gina,

i did KB last night and it was a failure too. went to phoon huat to buy the ingredients after work. they didn't have tapioca floor but instead they assured me that i can do KB with tapioca starch. i wasn't too sure but the store assistant kept telling me that most of their customers by the tapioca starch to do KB. but it turned out very hard. is it becos of the starch?

Hi Angel, I used the tapioca starch from PH too (the green packaging one right)? My KB turns out oki leh. PH told me tapioca starch = flour. Can anyone here confirm this?
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody ever made KB with arrowroot flour? I have a Penang Nonya cookbook and it uses arrowroot flour with corn flour. My mother in Canada used tapioca flour and it turned out hard. Well, I do not know the difference between topioca flour and starch. Perhaps she used starch. Unfortunately, she has gone to meet her maker and it would be very difficult for me to ask her now I am interested in our cultural food!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruyi

Arrowroot flour, I heard it was also call Lu Lu Flour.. Very Happy and I know others have tried using it to replace Tapioca flour because its not easily available in certain parts of USA.

In Singapore, Tapioca flour is also tapioca starch. The reason behind this is the company that packages it. Either their English is no good or they can't tell the difference. I have tried both T.starch and T.flour..works the same too.

I found a recipe in a cookbook called Melting Pot which was a compilation of Asian traditional recipes. Its called Indonesian sago cookies. The recipe is almost identical to kueh bangkit and the method is the same too. the big diff is Sago flour is use instead of tapioca flour. I have tried it and i found the Sago flour makes the cookie very crunchy.

yummy

Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is right Gina - I have heard it call lu lu flour. To make a batch of KB using 400 grams of arrowroot flour will cost over
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruyi

lu lu flour costs S$1 for a tiny box of 200g. For Tapioca flour, its only 70 cents for 600g.

you can ask your friends in Singapore to get lu lu flour for you and mail it over. I think its alot cheaper than in UK.

jellykaya
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get the cookie cutter / mould for KB?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jellykaya

you can find them at Phoon huat. But the more traditional ones are often in wood. If you like that type, then you may need to go to Gim Hin Lee. Phoon Huat's versions are plastic.

jellykaya
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina!
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
jellykaya

you can find them at Phoon huat. But the more traditional ones are often in wood. If you like that type, then you may need to go to Gim Hin Lee. Phoon Huat's versions are plastic.

Gina - would Gim Hin Lee also sell the wooden almond cookies mould? I can ask my friend in Singapore to buy these moulds for me. exercise
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. I am bringing some from China to sell too. island

Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
yes. I am bringing some from China to sell too. island

Gina - do you mean the almond cookie moulds? Could you take some pictures to show them to us please? Thanks
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruyi

the stuff is on its way to Singapore now. I will get everything by next week. Then I can take a photo to show. island

Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever Gina and get the goods shipped in so she can travel light. You know you could aution the goods on ebay! You might get a better price! You set a minimum price you will not sell and if the aution price goes above this price then you sell. You also do not have to worry about postage as people who buy your goods will have to pay for the postage. Well, this is my two pence! [Making the American saying "my two cents" more English!] he he!
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
ruyi

lu lu flour costs S$1 for a tiny box of 200g. For Tapioca flour, its only 70 cents for 600g.

you can ask your friends in Singapore to get lu lu flour for you and mail it over. I think its alot cheaper than in UK.

I found some lu lu flour for
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: coconut cream vs coconut milk Reply with quote

I went to several local Chinese large supermarkets yesterday to look for coconut. I found:

Coconut milk has about 50 per cent water and coconut cream has less water relatively. Then there is a solid block of coconut cream as well.

Preciously, I used this West Indian coconut milk which I found to have too much water.

Does anybody know which I should use for make kueh bangkit? I realise we spend so much time drying out the flour and then it seems silly to me to add water back into the dough via the coconut.
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to give up on Kueh Bangkit. I have made three times following three different recipes and my KB are still crispy and crunchy. I read all the posts about KB - don't knead too much, fry the flour, bake at lower temperature, use more egg yolks etc and all to no avail. I need more courage to make more KB. There is a limit to the number of people I can give this chunchy biscuits and this biscuits are expensive to make in the UK if one were to use arrowroot flour at 88 pence per 125 grams. Six eggs cost
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: