Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Making Rice wine at home(photos now)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Making Rice wine at home(photos now) Reply with quote

Yields 750ml of Rice wine
Ingredients:
1 kg of rice
1 pc wine yeast

Method:
1. Wash rice till the water runs clear. Add enough water to cook the rice in a rice cooker.
2. Remove rice from rice cooker and leave it out to cool completely before use. Do not put the rice in the fridge. As water will collect on it. The rice must be COMPLETELY COOL AND DRY.
3. Crush the wine yeast into powder form.
4. Mix it with the rice and store it in a glass container covered.
5. Leave the container is a cool, dry place, away from direct heat(sunlight, window, stove) for 3 weeks.
6. Harvest the wine and rice residue after 3 weeks or 21 days.
7. Store the wine in a glass bottle covered with a cork. Leave it in the fridge. Use it as per recipe.
8. For the rice residue, keep in an air tight glass container, store in the fridge.

Important Notes:
1. do not fill up the bottle or jar with rice or wine upto to the top of the container.
2. all containers must be made of glass, earthern ware, claypot. No stainless steel pot, or plastic containers.
3. Make sure its clean, dry before you put the rice in.
4. Keep it away from sunlight, or from direct heat like the stove.
5. For the first week(7 days), keep it covered with a piece of cloth then followed by the cover. Do not open it to smell.
6. Use a glass container, so that you can see the daily process of fermentation.

How to tell if something has gone wrong?
1. After 5 days, the rice is still dry, then you know something has gone wrong.
2. By the 3rd day, you should be able to see some liquid forming inside the glass container. The rice will look wet and water droplets may form inside the jar.

After harvesting:

1. after 21 days, remove and sieve the rice and wine.
2. After harvesting the rice and wine, keep it the fridge. You can keep for as long as 1 year or even more.
3. When its so cold in the fridge, the fermentation will stop.
4. If you leave it outside the fridge, it will continue to ferment and the wine will turn into Vinegar.

What to do with White Rice Residue?
Don

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bushido
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina a couple questions.
What kind of rice should I use?
Also is this Alcoholic very much do I need watch for flame ups?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jasonp

I use long grain rice. As to alcholic levels, I don't have a measuring tool to measure how high it is. But if you let it ferment longer(about 3 months), just a shot of it can make you pass out! coffee I usually ferment for only 30 days, maximum

cindy
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gina
long grain rice is it the same our normal rice .
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindy

yes..coz I presume Jason is outside Asia. actually you can also use short grain rice which is the rice we use for making sushi or can also use glutinous rice.

iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Can I know if the rice residue u are talking about is the one in my picture? As in the cloudy part of wine or is it really the rice itself? And you are suppose to throw away the rice after the u sieve it, right?

By the way, my rice wine tastes sweet....nice but only very little clear wine from the rice.

Thanks!!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iazzy wrote:
Hi Gina,

Can I know if the rice residue u are talking about is the one in my picture? As in the cloudy part of wine or is it really the rice itself? And you are suppose to throw away the rice after the u sieve it, right?

By the way, my rice wine tastes sweet....nice but only very little clear wine from the rice.

Thanks!!

iazzy

your pic is a bit blur. I show you mine.

if you leave it alone, it will separate properly like the above pic I have. The rice on top, the wine below. There will always be some cloudy residue at the bottom of the jar.

The rice residue can be use for cooking or baking. So, don't throw it away. My MIL uses it to marinate chicken meat. And then cooked it with ginger and sesame oil.

Some restaurants in Singapore uses the rice residue to make a warm dessert with glutinous rice balls. Its very nice.

Pauline uses it in her ice kacang topping.

Once the wine is done, sieve out the rice residue. Keep that in another clean jar. The wine that is collected, keep it in a bottle and let it stand for another 48 hours in the fridge. Remember to cover the bottle with a cork.

It will separate again. The cloudy residue will sink to the bottom of the bottle..the clear wine will be on top.

The purpose of putting the bottle in the fridge is to stop the fermentation so that you can separate it. If you leave it outside in room temperature, it will continue to ferment. and a slight movement of the bottle will cause the cork to pop like a Champagne bottle! cheers

The rice residue can be kept outside. Fermentation will only stop when the temperature is boiling point or freezing point. it will continue to ferment and more wine will come out.

iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Wow, the pic u posted shows that there is a lot of wine being produced. Mine was only like less then a 1/4 cup of 1/2kg rice being used. And the rice wasn't floating like yours. Is that normal or was it not enough water in the rice when cooking? What went wrong? Or could it be that I used a narrow bottle instead of a broad bottle?

I heard from a friend's mum that she adds in a bottle of rice wine to the rice when making rice wine, would that be ok?

The bottom pic of your rice residue looks like glue was it being blended or left to become gluey by itself?

Thanks for the fast reply!! Very Happy

PS: By the way my wine only came out 1/4 cup after 49 days...... so how?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iazzy

how much rice did you cook for this?

yes, I heard about adding rice wine to the fermentation process. But you must start from somewhere, right? where to get rice wine to add to the existing lot you are making..

the one trick I heard was to add sugar to the yeast. which was told to me by a local Wine manufacturer. Smile love it helps rice to secrete/produce more wine.

1 wine yeast, 1 tbsp of sugar
1kg of rice

the rice must be cook till soft. cannot be too hard like those we use for daily rice eating.

my 2nd picture for the rice residue looks like glue or mushy because its left on the table to ferment for very long periods. If I put it in the fridge, it stops fermentation and remains grainy.

iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Thanks for the reply again!! Very Happy

For mine, I think I used about 1/2 kg of rice & a half piece of yeast.

My Friend's mum went and get a commercially made rice wine and add it in at the beginning of the process. I think it's those that looks like water type of rice wine.

the rice must be cook till soft. cannot be too hard like those we use for daily rice eating.

Ah-ha....Bingo....Now I know. My rice was pretty hard and not soft at all. That could be the reason then. So, u are suppose to add more water than the normal water level, right? Cheeky grin Thanks for pointing that out!!

Would have to try again with a 2nd batch of softer rice and sugar added to it.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iazzy

how to test if the rice is soft or hard? just try to eat a bit. if its edible, it is good for fermentation. if its hard, cannot swallow, feel like spitting out, then it will not be good to make wine.

iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Gina!!

Will try again and see what happens this time.....thanks again!! Very Happy
iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to trouble u again, Gina..... sad I have some more questions to ask of you.

Another one of my friend's mum said that if the rice wine is not fermentated properly it will become poisonous. And will be dangerous to consume. Is that true?

And is rice wine normally made for consumption or cooking uses?
bannbann
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:

Hi gina,

May i know where you get all those big glass container?

Thanks
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iazzy wrote:
Sorry to trouble u again, Gina..... sad I have some more questions to ask of you.

Another one of my friend's mum said that if the rice wine is not fermentated properly it will become poisonous. And will be dangerous to consume. Is that true?

And is rice wine normally made for consumption or cooking uses?

iazzy

when I first started making wine, I ask many many people. and no one wants to tell me the truth! bawling tears my MIL doesn't know the details, my aunt knows one part of the story and my mom is asking me for advice on where to get the wine yeast sad

after 1 year of researching, I met 3 persons..a lady who owns her own cafe, sells claypot wine chicken in Singapore. She makes her own wine to cook all the dishes.. and I also make friends with a local chinese wine and spirits manufacturer.

During my work with ex-drug offenders, I met a guy whose family used to make Chinese wine in Malaysia. Then his dad retired from the biz, he studied Accounting and became a Chartered Accountant. But he makes wine at home too, just for fun. Thru him, I learnt many secrets in good wine fermentation.

from these 3 persons, I learnt the truth about making wine at home.

If the fermentation don't work, the whole pot of rice turns mouldy. That's where it becomes poisonous.

There are only 3 possibilities for this to happen

1. bottle or jar is wet or dirty
2. rice is hot or warm, not cooled
3. too much fresh air entering the bottle or jar during the initial 7 days of fermentation

During the first 7 days, its the most crucial part of the fermentation. If anything should go wrong, it will go wrong during this period. After 7 days, nothing will go wrong.

I am going to try with another type of chinese wine that uses Black Glutinous rice, Black dates to ferment. Its said to be good for post surgery patients..good for blood ..

cheers

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bannbann wrote:

Hi gina,

May i know where you get all those big glass container?

Thanks

I got mine from a shop at Hougang Green shopping centre. the shop sells pots and pans, and most of the basic kitchenware like kitchen scissors, tongs, plates, steamboat, claypots, etc.

the one in the picture is the medium size jar. cost about $6, i think, cannot remember. I bought 3 jars: 1 big, 2 medium

bannbann
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

What is cheese cloth and may i know how you store your wine (where u get the bottle n cork)
thx
iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Thanks for sharing your experience! Totally appreciated..... Smile love

Anyway, I have made a new batch this Monday. And so far as compared to the earlier batch, this batch seems to be coming out more wine. Because this time I made the rice much much softer. Keke. Also I added some sugar ....grin

Would see how it turns out on Day 7 and post the pic for you to have a look. Thanks again!! cheers

Quote:
I am going to try with another type of chinese wine that uses Black Glutinous rice, Black dates to ferment. Its said to be good for post surgery patients..good for blood ..

BTW, is the Black Glutinous rice the rice u make Bubor Pulut Hitam ?
bannbann
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina i make my wine on 12/9

how come until now the rice doesn't float like urs? i use 1kg of cooked rice

Kim
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,
Thanks for sharing Rice Wine recipe loving u
May I ask you that how long the rice residue can be kept outside?
And 1 wine yeast is how many gram?
Because here I can get 3 size of wine yeast, so really confuse so how?
RebeccaK
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina...I can't thank you enough for the rice residue you've gave me.

Mum used it to steam some prawns the next day & it was so aromatic. She gave a 2 thumbs up for your rice residue. Smile

Now she's bugging me to give your wine recipe a try Razz I have a few questions that need your help.

1. Am I suppose to tighten the cover of the container for the first 7 days only? Cause will the container crack with the gas generated? I recall seeing you placing a cloth over the container before covering with the cover.

2. What's the weight of wine yeast? Do they come in various sizes?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebeccaK wrote:
Hi Gina...I can't thank you enough for the rice residue you've gave me.

Mum used it to steam some prawns the next day & it was so aromatic. She gave a 2 thumbs up for your rice residue. Smile

Now she's bugging me to give your wine recipe a try Razz I have a few questions that need your help.

1. Am I suppose to tighten the cover of the container for the first 7 days only? Cause will the container crack with the gas generated? I recall seeing you placing a cloth over the container before covering with the cover.

2. What's the weight of wine yeast? Do they come in various sizes?

oy Rebecca

1. no..never tighten it. I put a cloth to stop outside air from entering it too much.

2. Wine yeast comes in 1 standard shape. unless you get the ones from Kwong Cheong Thye at Geylang. Those comes in a packet and all broken up, loose pieces. But seriously, I have never weighed the wine yeast.

I still have alot of white wine residue.. yummy tell your mom that I am very happy to part with it if she likes it. island

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim wrote:
Hi Gina,
Thanks for sharing Rice Wine recipe loving u
May I ask you that how long the rice residue can be kept outside?
And 1 wine yeast is how many gram?
Because here I can get 3 size of wine yeast, so really confuse so how?

Hi Kim

I kept mine outside for months..! it will become more and more mushy and have a strong wine flavour.
the ones I use for wine yeast only comes in one size. its 20g each.

are you in Singapore? island

Kim
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Thanks for your answering.

So that mean 1kg of rice with 20g wine yeast.

Sorry, could I have more questions to ask you ?

How long can I keep the White Rice Residue in the fridge? can be 1 year Smile love

Because I want to get and keep the rice residue for making your 3 Days Huat Kueh recipe love u

I'm in Europe island and love to see your food yummy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim

the rice residue can be kept in the fridge for 1 year or longer. Coldness tends to slow down the fermentation at least 10 times.

if you leave it outside, it continues to ferment, the residue becomes more mushy.

could you update your profile to show the country of origin? So that when any one of us reply to you, we won't say things like "or you can buy this, eat this, find this at this place, that place(which may be in Singapore only) island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Wine Making at Home! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: