Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
My Mum's Pineapple Tarts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: My Mum's Pineapple Tarts Reply with quote

and I only started baking and learning how to do this in 2005 !!

my mum's version. Baked in her home in 2005

this is what i did at her house in 2005

my last year's bakes (2006)

These are baked on year 2007 with my new oven : LG SolarDom

These are baked on Feb 2008. Using my new tart moulds..so pretty. my best ever tarts..crumbles the moment it reaches your tongue and melts away! yummy

This was done in Dec 2013

Ingredients for the Tart pastry
570g Top flour
60g sugar
370g butter
2 eggs(110g)
pinch of salt

Method for the Tart pastry
1. Sieve flour, add salt and sugar and mix together
2. Rub butter into flour(use your fingers)
3. Beat egg lightly and add to the flour
4. Knead into a soft, sticky dough and leave it in the fridge for at least 1 hour.

Ingredients for the jam
3 pcs fresh, half ripe pineapple
2 pcs of cloves
200g sugar**(my mum's original recipe uses 420g of sugar)

Method for the Jam
1. Remove skin and black eyes from pineapple
2. Grate pineapple and squeeze out the juice.
3. Juice can be used for other dishes, but NOT to be use with this.
4. Put pineapple into a large pot and cook.
5. Cook over medium heat for 2 hours.
6. Gradually, add sugar and cloves.
7. Cook for another 30 mins or until it is dry and sticky.

Method to assemble and bake
1. Roll pastry to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into a special tart cutter.
2. Fill tart with pineapple filling
3. Bake in oven at 200 C for 20 to 30 mins till golden brown.

Important notes from my mum
Pineapple jam should be sticky and has a bit of liquid..not dry like those sold prepacked by Phoon Huat. Pineapple jam must be completely cooled before using. Best results will be adding some strands of dough on top of the jam. As the butter from the dough will seep on top of the jam and make it more tasty.

Why use half ripe pineapples?
Because it has less juice when its grated. If you use ripe pineapples, when you are cooking the jam, more liquid will come out. and you have to cook longer than 2 hours.
No need to add egg wash to brush on top of tart before baking.

Also note that there are 2 methods here:
Rubbing in(butter with flour)
Using Cake mixer to beat butter, sugar, flour

With Rubbing in method, the tart pastry is soft and crumbly after its baked.

Depending on your taste and preference, you can do it either way, it will still work.

My new notes on using the LG SolarDom oven
I have burnt my first batch this year using the recipe for temperature above. So now I have reduced the temperature from 200C to 170C and baked it for 18 mins.

It came out perfect.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:06 am; edited 2 times in total
jimmy
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Gina, superb. early in the morning oledi got drool factor, even viewing this after breakfast also stomach still growling, hahahha...

i like the last pix best, slight twist from the normal criss-cross..how do you get such a tiny-weeny floret, got pix of the tool? another question that comes to mind is that would the little floret dislodge itself from the jam or would it hold throughout the baking and handling? coz it would be abit 'disheartening' to see them a tad "disfigured", if you know what i mean?!? Smile
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy

you are most kind! and most welcome.

the tiny floret is cut out using my sugar paste crafts which I bought last year to try my hand on sugar paste flowers. Embarassed which I never got round to use it properly for its real purpose. island

it won't dislodge or fall off. the jam is a bit wet so you need to press it down to make it stick to it.

I thought it look very pretty on the tarts but its a bit more work coz the tiny floret is very very tiny. you need a toothpick to pick it up! Wink

ChocMuffin
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing your recipe....i just made them today Smile

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chocmuffin

yours are pretty. coffee Its a lot more work I believe to do it this way.

ChocMuffin
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks but my tarts don't taste that great because i used store-bought pineapple jam which was indeed quite dry as you mentioned. Will try your full recipe and make my own jam next year Very Happy Thanks for being so generous in sharing your pineapple tart recipe coffee
raymond
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last finish baking my pineapple tarts. Have add 1tbsp skim milk powder into it. Smile

monaco
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Your recipe states to use 3 pieces of pineapple - could I find out exactly how many pineapple should I actually use, in grams?

Thanks!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, monaco

I never measure in grams. i usually make it by counting how many pineapples I need. sometimes its difficult to measure exactly because some pineapples are very big, others medium. while some have thick centers, others smaller.

jc_mum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, This year I bake your recipe again. This time round my pineapple jam was mild sweet and I reduced a bit of your base sugar. The pineapple tart turn out nice. Thanks for the recipe.
novice
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, Gong Xi Fa Cai. Thank you for the recipe. I've tried baking PT this year using your dough recipe, but i bought the ready made PT paste and find it a tat too dry and hard. Can i ask if i'm to make the paste myself, do i grate the whole pineapple including the core or only the juicy portion and discard the core?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novice wrote:
Hi Gina, Gong Xi Fa Cai. Thank you for the recipe. I've tried baking PT this year using your dough recipe, but i bought the ready made PT paste and find it a tat too dry and hard. Can i ask if i'm to make the paste myself, do i grate the whole pineapple including the core or only the juicy portion and discard the core?

try to use unripe pineapples. unripe pineapples are pale yellow..not very juicy. so that cuts down cooking time.

do not use the core. Its very hard and even grating it by hand will not make it better.

novice
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, will try out the home cooked paste after we've finished this lot.
sophia
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Pineapple Tart Reply with quote

Gina,

What is top flour?
ShadyLady
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pineapple Tart Reply with quote

sophia wrote:
Gina,

What is top flour?

Hi, not Gina but top flour is low protein flour, so you could try using pastry or cake flour instead.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who've made their own pineapple jam, can I check if we can make the jam 1 or 2 days before baking? If yes, how do we store the jam after that?
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi kwf

yes, can make few days in advance. I make mine 1 week in advance coz I only can bake on Saturdays. After the jam is cooled thoroughly, put in a clean container and chuck it in the chiller.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reirei wrote:
hi kwf

yes, can make few days in advance. I make mine 1 week in advance coz I only can bake on Saturdays. After the jam is cooled thoroughly, put in a clean container and chuck it in the chiller.

Hi Reirei, by chiller, you mean the little space between the frezzer and the fridge, right?

Will the jam hardens or dries up upon chilling?
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup.. n yup.. it does harden abit but when it reaches room temperature.. it will soften again.. so you might wanna wait abit before use... it doesn't affect the taste however.. hmm.. if you seal your container properly.. it should not dry up.. HTH.. Very Happy
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reirei wrote:
yup.. n yup.. it does harden abit but when it reaches room temperature.. it will soften again.. so you might wanna wait abit before use... it doesn't affect the taste however.. hmm.. if you seal your container properly.. it should not dry up.. HTH.. Very Happy

Thanks a lot, Reirei! Going to try that after I got my pineapples. I went to NTUC today, they have Malaysian pineapples, $2.75 for 3, but all gone! bawling tears
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wa.. kwf.. seems like you are trying out so many things at 1 time.. i no time lah.. bawling tears
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reirei wrote:
wa.. kwf.. seems like you are trying out so many things at 1 time.. i no time lah.. bawling tears

hahaha...that's why Gina said my list (to-do list) very long already.

But cannot help it leh, so many recipes here. My mum was telling me not to forget the kids! grin
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pineapple Tart Reply with quote

ShadyLady wrote:
sophia wrote:
Gina,

What is top flour?

Hi, not Gina but top flour is low protein flour, so you could try using pastry or cake flour instead.

I find it very interesting you are using low protein flour. In the UK, the advice is to use high protein flour to make pastry. At the moment I am so confused about pineapple tarts pastry. Could someone please tell me if the pastry should be crumbly or firm and crispy? It is obvious you are using rich short crust pastry. However, if one wants melt in your mouth crumbly pastry, then one should not use eggs and one should use half butter and half shorterning. So I am confused is because my Penang Auntie tells me to make melt in your mouth crumbly pastry and this tells me to make short crust pastry and yet I read people are using rich short curst pastry. Your comments will be very much appreciated for someone who does not know what an ideal pineapple tart pastry should be like.

Gina - next year I will make my jam your way. I have done it all wrong this year. I have waited until the pineapples are really ripe and I used 4 large sweet pineapples and added only 200 grams of sugar. However, I can see the jam is going to be super sweet! That is over 4 kg of pineapple and only 200 gram of sugar. If I do not add sugar the jam will not set. So the trick is to get rid of juice - but would this not get rid of the flavour as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruyi, there are many types of pineapple tarts in the market. So it depends on the individual, there is no "right or wrong" type. My personal preference is those with the pastry wrapped around the jam and the pastry must melt in the mouth. I ever tried such pineapple tarts before. Till now still cannot forget it!
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ruyi, if I may, I would prefer the texture to be melt in the mouth type. I was told to use egg yolks instead of whole eggs. But I have not tried it (again, no time and was afraid of failure coz I always bake them last minute). So far the recipes I came across do not call for shortening. The jam is supposed to be sweet, so that it preserves better. However, nowadays, we tend to adjust the sugar accordingly to the sweetness of the pineapple. Therefore, I think it makes sense to use half ripe pineapples. Besides controlling the amount of liquid during cooking, you can adjust the amount of sugar as well.

When the pineapples I bought are too ripe, I will drain off the excess juice. However, I was like you, concerned that I 'drained away' the flavour as well. Thus while cooking the pineapples, when the juice seems to start drying, I add the juice back slowly. It seems silly of me coz it took me quite long to make the jam. If you get rid of the juice during cooking (i.e.; water content of pineapple evaporates), what is left is the 'essence' of the pineapples. The pineapples are being caramelised in its own flavour and sugar. Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: