Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
My Mum's Pineapple Tarts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! I've add more "reserved" pineapple juice and cook it again for a few minutes. It's not really wet till you can find any liquid but it seems to stick a little better, though still not consider sticky like a dough. I hope I got it right this time.
Ruyi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
. . . if you use ripe pineapples, more juice will come out. it may be sweeter, but by cutting down the sugar it may not preserve well. Natural sweetness from fruits does not add up to the amount of sugar we have to use.

when I first made these years ago, I use to get very ripe pineapples. it secretes alot of juice but has no 'bite' despite having grated it by hand. If the fruit is not cook, sweet fruit is fine to eat. When it cook, the sweetness somehow disappear and I ended up having to put more sugar instead. so how?

It is rather strange for the sweetness to disappear. When fruits ripen, the carbohydrates turn into fructose which causes the sweetness. Fructose is not destroyed during the cooking or baking process and hence the sweetness cannot disappear.

In the two occasions which I have used very ripe pineapples, I have added very little sugar and the sweetness remains.

I dislike sucrose, which is cane sugar we use in baking. Sucrose causes higher activity in children and it also make people unwell through eating too much of this kind of carbohydrate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
honey_bun
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Would like to ask a question. I'm new in making pineapple tarts. Yesterday I cooked the pineapple jam and I dump in the sugar together with the grated pineapple. After cooking for more than an hour, the jam looks dry. After cooling, there's some more juice coming out. I put it to cook again then I sieved out some of the juice. My only worry now is will my tarts be mouldy after some time?
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honey_bun wrote:
Hi Gina,

Would like to ask a question. I'm new in making pineapple tarts. Yesterday I cooked the pineapple jam and I dump in the sugar together with the grated pineapple. After cooking for more than an hour, the jam looks dry. After cooling, there's some more juice coming out. I put it to cook again then I sieved out some of the juice. My only worry now is will my tarts be mouldy after some time?

honey_bun, allow me to kaypo here. I was told that the longer you cook the jam, the more preserved they are and hence able to keep longer. I just cook my jam for another 1.5 hrs (over low heat) coz my friend said my jam was too light colour. If you're worried, you can add a little more pinepple juice (the one sieved out earlier) and cook it over low heat again.
Cindi
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWF,

Just kaypo here. I have made Gina's pineapple tarts before. It is nice. I have made some versions every year, and I still prefer hers.

OK, for the jam, I use the blending method too, ensure the hard parts are cut away. It can be kept a long time as long as it is in the fridge and is cooked properly. I kept on adding my old jam to the new every year while cooking. Very Happy and do not face any problem. My cookies can last more than 2 weeks at room temperature.

Sometimes I used the jam to make bread rolls too.

Cindi
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindi wrote:
KWF,

Just kaypo here. I have made Gina's pineapple tarts before. It is nice. I have made some versions every year, and I still prefer hers.

OK, for the jam, I use the blending method too, ensure the hard parts are cut away. It can be kept a long time as long as it is in the fridge and is cooked properly. I kept on adding my old jam to the new every year while cooking. Very Happy and do not face any problem. My cookies can last more than 2 weeks at room temperature.

Sometimes I used the jam to make bread rolls too.

Cindi

Thanks Cindi for the wonderful sharing. At least I know what to do if I have remaining jam.
nianning
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear ladies, i'm having a bit of problems with storage of the pineapple tarts. i just made about 600 of em three days ago and when i opened one bottle today the pastry was not as crisp as when it just came out of the oven.gon a bit soft.is this normal?how can i keep it crisps?TIA
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nianning wrote:
dear ladies, i'm having a bit of problems with storage of the pineapple tarts. i just made about 600 of em three days ago and when i opened one bottle today the pastry was not as crisp as when it just came out of the oven.gon a bit soft.is this normal?how can i keep it crisps?TIA

Hi nianning, in fact the pineapple tarts now (a little soft) are better than when out from oven. I was told by my friend (who's been baking pineapple tarts for the past years) that the tarts taste better after a few days, as the "juice" from the jam has secreted into the pastry and blended in. I just bake my tarts yesterday and am now waiting for the real taste testing a few days later. yummy So unless you bake them real dry, otherwise I think they will stay non-crisp after some time.

If what I said is not correct, someone here pls correct me as this is also the first year I bake pineapple tarts.
nianning
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kwf, i think the next time round i shall have to make my jam drier then,cos my family like the tarts crisps.haha..but dont think it'll look tht good with dry jam cos dry jam tends to look kinda dark.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nianning wrote:
thanks kwf, i think the next time round i shall have to make my jam drier then,cos my family like the tarts crisps.haha..but dont think it'll look tht good with dry jam cos dry jam tends to look kinda dark.

In general, for open face tarts, the jam has to be a little wet (since it'll dry up during baking). What I can suggest is (not sure whether will work), you cook the jam just a little drier (still not too dry). When baking, bake the pastry a while first, then put the jam on top and continue baking. Hopefully this way your pastry will cook but the jam will not overcook (otherwise the jam will become very hard). You'll probably have to experiment with a few tarts to see if it's your desired result. Try and let us know, ok?
nianning
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh hehe.... i did mine in a roll version with open ends.. i think i'm just a bit too picky about the crispness of the pastry..now after eating the ones bought from outside,i realised tht their pastry is not exactly crisp as well=) i guess i'll just pop them into the toaster oven before i eat them if i like them crisp=)THanks a million for enlightening me kwf.you're such a gem!
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nianning wrote:
oh hehe.... i did mine in a roll version with open ends.. i think i'm just a bit too picky about the crispness of the pastry..now after eating the ones bought from outside,i realised tht their pastry is not exactly crisp as well=) i guess i'll just pop them into the toaster oven before i eat them if i like them crisp=)THanks a million for enlightening me kwf.you're such a gem!

You're welcome, nianning. Very Happy We're all here to learn from each other. I'm not baking to sell, so no trade secret for me. grin I've yet to achieve the real "melt-in-the-mouth" feel. so how? My dh ate one which I bake 3 days ago (after waiting for the jam to secrete into the pastry). His comment was, "Not melt-in-the-mouth at all leh". Sigh.....
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wai fun

to get that melt in the mouth effect, must do the gentle rubbing in method with butter and flour. after that, just mix the wet ingredients with the dry to form a dough. try not to handle too much. the more u knead the dough, the harder it becomes.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
wai fun

to get that melt in the mouth effect, must do the gentle rubbing in method with butter and flour. after that, just mix the wet ingredients with the dry to form a dough. try not to handle too much. the more u knead the dough, the harder it becomes.

sigh...as usual, I think I have "over knead" the dough. I'm always very bad when it comes to some delicate steps with my hands. bawling tears
PutuPiring
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf wrote:

sigh...as usual, I think I have "over knead" the dough. I'm always very bad when it comes to some delicate steps with my hands. bawling tears

Try using one of this. http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112461 I always thought I over knead my pastry but later found my hands were too hot and they melt the butter, that's why I dont make alot of pastry or pies.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reading another pineapple tarts recipe, I have a question to ask. Do we have to wait for the butter to soften before rubbing it into the flour? Coz I remember I didn't use softened butter. Could I have overwork the dough as a result and hence no melt in the mouth effect?

Another question. Can we keep unbaked dough in the fridge to be shaped and baked a few days later?
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kwf, when using the rubbing in method, cold butter is used. After adding egg, do not over-knead the dough. Yes, un-used dough can be kept in the fridge. How are the tarts coming along? grin

All That Matters
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reirei wrote:
Hi kwf, when using the rubbing in method, cold butter is used. After adding egg, do not over-knead the dough. Yes, un-used dough can be kept in the fridge. How are the tarts coming along? grin

Thanks Reirei! I haven't been making since the last batch, coz too many things to do these two weeks! exercise Will probably pick it up again only next CNY...lol...
babyphat2022
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi gina!

miss you here! Smile

just wanna know...how did you make your newest 2008 tarts? is it less time consuming than the regular tart styles? with taking care of isaiah and babysitting, i need to make a time saving version! also craving for it...hehe

thanks!
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rendy

yes..its less time consuming. because there is less cutting, shaping of jam into balls and assembly work grin Here's how I did mine:

Method:
1. Roll dough on a floured table till 0.5 cm thickness.
2. use a round cutter to cut
3. Push the dough into the fluted tart molds.
4. using your fingers to press/push to the sides of the molds.
5. Add a tsp full of jam into it.
6. Cover the cut dough on top, press down and trim off excess dough.

think of it as doing a mini apple pie! yummy

baking time is extra 5 mins more.

To remove..just wait for it to be cooled first. invert the tart mould and it comes straight out.

Do not oil the tart mould if you use my Mum's recipe..

fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, my family LOVES your tarts..the ones you left behind today......and they are very picky when it comes to pineapple tarts....thumbs up blow candle
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Amrita..! Smile

fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture for you, gina

feel free to use it for yourself as promotion grin
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you! your photos are so nice! all the lovely hearts tarts have been eaten by the 2 ladies! Cheeky grin

fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your tarts = nicer than my photo...hahaha island
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: