Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Walnut Fruit Bread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helena
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Walnut Fruit Bread Reply with quote

This recipe is taken from the Australian Women's Weekly Home Library : THE BIG BOOK OF BEAUTIFUL BISCUITS.

note: I have replaced mine with just dried apricots but you can generally add whatever you want inside. but mixed fruits can be a bit tricky when redrying cause it tends to stick to the paper, so that means you have to be constantly beside your oven.

INGREDIENTS

3 egg whites
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 cup plain flour
125g -4oz) walnuts
60g (2oz) preserved ginger
60g (2oz) green glace cherries
60g (2oz) red glace cherries
60g (2oz) glace pineapples

Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually beat in castor sugar, beating well after each addition until all sugar is dissolved.

Fold in sifted flour, whole walnuts and roughly chopped ginger and glace fruits.

Spread into greased 25cm X 8cm (10in X 3in) bar tin. Bake in moderate oven 30 to 35 minutes or until just firm. Cool out of tin.

When cold, wrap in aluminium foil, put aside for one or two days. Using a very sharp knife, cut bread into wafer-thin slices.

Put slices on to oven trays, bake in slow oven (150C)45 minutes or until dry and crips. I stand by near my oven and check very few minutes as my oven is very hot, and I flip to the other side once I see my biscuits slightly brown. It might brown very fast depending on your oven.
coxiella
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helena,

Thanks for sharing Very Happy . I've been looking for a recipe for such cookies, but never found a good tried-and-tested one.
Alannia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something like biscotti?
Helena
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you r welcome angie, Very Happy it's my pleasure to share with those who are interested in them.

Alannia, biscotti uses the same method but its more like roll the pastry into a rectangle, add the fruits and then wrap and bake, slice rebake or redry them in the oven. u want the recipe? its from the same book as the walnut fruit bread slice but I havent yet tested it. but if you r interested, can post it for you. Wink
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Helena, for the explanations.

It's alright. No need to post the recipes first. There are so much things to try at the moment. When I am ready to try it, I'll give you a holler.
Helena
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia wrote:
Thanks, Helena, for the explanations.

It's alright. No need to post the recipes first. There are so much things to try at the moment. When I am ready to try it, I'll give you a holler.

yes, madam Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> C is for Cookie! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: