Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Kkakdugi (Korean kimchi)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pickles, Pickles!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, here's the recipe. As for the photo of fermented shrimps will upload it when photobucket finish their site maintenance.

Kkakdugi

Main ingredients

Whole radish (1kg or so), Salt (2% weight of radish), chinese cabbage (250g), Salt for cabbage (abt 5g)

Side ingredients

50g spring onion, 30g of leek (white part), 30g minari (dropwort), 30g chives, 20g minced garlic, 6g grated ginger, 1/2 grated apple (or pear also can), 1 Tsp fermented shrimps (chopped up), 2 1/2 tbsp of anchovy sauce (fish sauce), 2 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp rice flour (or flour), 2/3 cup water, 25-30g red chilli pepper flakes, abit msg.

Preparing ingredients

1. Remove skin of radish. Wash and dry a little. Cut the radish into 2cm cubes. Salt the diced radish in the salt and let stand for 2-3 hrs stirring occasionally for even salting. When the radish is soft, rinse in water, drain. Squeeze out some of the water from the radish and let stand in a sieve.

2. When salting the radish salt the cabbage as well. sprinkle salt into the lower part of cabbage since it is thicker there. Cabbage will become softer faster then the radish. When soft, rinse with water and squeeze out the water from the cabbage. Cut it to the size of diced radish.

3. Cut Spring onion, chives and dropwarts into 3cm length. Shred the white part of the leek.

4. Peel apple, garlic and ginger. Wash and grate them.

5. Chop the fermented shrimps.

Recipe

1. Prepare marinate. Boil 2/3 cup water with 2 1/2 tbsp flour to make starch mixture. Cool it. Then add in the fermented shrimps, anchovy sauce, msg and sugar.

2. Next add in the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and grated apple into the prepared marinate. Then add in the dropwart, spring onion, chives and leek. Toss it well.

3. In a big container, put in the salted cabbage and radish. Then mix it thoroughly with the marinate above. Transfer the radish into a container and seal tight. Leave it out for 1/2 a day then into the fridge. It will be ready to serve in 2-3 days.

Here in Korea I normally leave it out for a day as it's cold here in winter. Then put in the fridge and consume it when it taste soury.

Last edited by iazzy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janz
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi iazzy,
Thanks...but I don't have the time to make kimchi...and also not really a fan of it...
I just cooked soup with it last nite...pork rib with carrot and radish soup...
iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janz, radish, carrot and pork ribs soup.....nice choice Smile also my favorite soup kekeke

And Gina here are the photos of the fermented shrimps and fish sauce.

Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iazzy, is the fermented shrimps something like the Malaysia cincalok?
iazzy
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia, sorry I don't really know how the Malaysia cincalok look like or taste like so I not sure.... :(
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia wrote:
iazzy, is the fermented shrimps something like the Malaysia cincalok?

its not the same. but then again, Pauline has made kimchi using the malaysian cincalok Razz

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Alannia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wa... she is really goodlah. Everything and anything also can make. If I want to find those long lost Nyonya recipes, I think she is the right person to go to, hor?
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alannia

yes..her granny and aunt are from Malaysia. she did a beautiful Nasi Ulam the last time we had a potluck gathering with KC members. the recipe came from Malaysia, very authentic coffee

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard so many of you commented how nice her Nasi Ulam was when she made it during the gathering. So sad I misssed it.....well, next time maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pickles, Pickles! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: