Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Raspberry and Rose Sparkling Wine Sorbet (Recipe and Pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Raspberry and Rose Sparkling Wine Sorbet (Recipe and Pic) Reply with quote

I brought a tub of raspberry puree sometime back. The tub of raspberry puree has been pretty well used in my kitchen. I used the puree to make raspberry cheesecake twice, but without much success as it cracked. The tub of raspberry puree was well worth the price $18. Knowing that a fresh raspberry purnel costs about $9, considering it had to be air flown from wherever to this part of the tropical world. Go figure the costs if you intend to make raspberry puree from fresh raspberry.

Just last week, I chanced upon Jacobs Creek Rose Sparkling wine was on sale at NTUC. I grabbed 2 bottles. Hmm, might as well use one bottle to make raspberry sorbet. Special thanks to Stephanie for giving me the tips of tempering egg-whites. The sorbet texture was soft and creamy. Yummy ! with a tinge of rose wine and tartness of raspberry coupled with its subtle berry fragrance.

Ingredients:
500 ml raspberry
750 ml rose sparkling wine
300 g sugar
3 large egg whites (approximately 90gm total, with 1 large egg white=30g)

Method:

1. Put the raspberry puree in a large enough (4 litres size) bowl. In another larger container put lots of ice and water. Sit the raspberry puree container in the icy water larger container. Put a fine sieve on the raspberry container.
    2. In a small sauce pot, bring sugar, and sparkling wine to a boil. Let it boil for a minute or two then remove from heat source.
    3. In a mixing bowl, beat egg white a bit foamy, about ten seconds. Slowly pour in hot sugary mixture in a steady stream, into the fluffy egg white. Continue to mix the egg white and hot syrup steadily as you pour the sugar mixture into the egg white. You do not want to have cooked egg white at any time.
    4. Now pour you hot syrupy wine and egg white mixture back into the sauce pot, and heat the mixture moderately, stirring the mixture slowly and constantly. We are thickening (tempering) the mixture, into a custard like consistency. Be very careful not to overheat , cause it will become egg-white soup . Trust me, egg-white rose sparkling wine soup though exotic doesn't taste that good. You heat until to about 75C - 79C if you have a thermometer. If you do not have thermometer you observe the custard coats the back of the spoon or spatula you are using, its ready.
    5. Now, immediately without a wink, pour this custard through the sieve and into the cool raspberry puree. This would stop the custard from cooking immediately.
    6. Store the raspberry custard in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
    7. Churn the cooled raspberry custard according to your ice cream maker instructions.

Stay tune for next recipe. Tangerine Sorbet.
Stefanie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwan this looks so inviting!!!

Nice job!!
Where did you get the raspberry puree from? Very Happy
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Raspberry and Rose Sparkling Wine Sorbet Recipe Reply with quote

From Culina
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet...it sounds familiar...where is it located? Very Happy
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culina Bukit Timah
617 Bukit Timah Road (Next to Coronation Plaza)
Singapore 269718
Phamster begs 6468 5255
Fax: 6468 7175
Email: shopbt@culina.com.sg

Culina Parkhouse
21 Orchard Boulevard
#01-23 Parkhouse
Singapore 248645
Phamster begs 6735 8858
Fax: 6737 6227
Email: shop@culina.com.sg
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhh I know where it is now..passed it a few times but never remembered the name nor stepped inside.... so how?

Thanks kwan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cold Room All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: