Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Tangerine Sorbet (Recipe and Picture)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Tangerine Sorbet (Recipe and Picture) Reply with quote

I went NTUC last weekend. I managed to get Argentina Murcott on sale at $1.95 for 5 tangerines. The tangerine has a very nice fragrant and its very sweet. I happened to pick up a bottle of orange blossom water from Sun Lik. My wife had a whiff to my chagrin , ' Dear smells like the cologne that Indian barber shop down the street put on you when you have a hair cut'. Hmm, my indignant feeble response of trying to justify buying a bottle that cost around $29 'No darling, can you smell the subtle orange flower fragrant?'. It does smell like the chinese cologne that my friend Moorthy put on me which I stubbornly refuse to admit.

Behold, when I added a wee teaspoonful of orange blossom water in the tangerine mixture, it transformed the ordinary tangerine sorbet into something very different. The combination of the tangerine and orange blossom water has an added dimension and tone that I have not tasted in any of the sorbet before.

Ingredients:
800 ml tangerine juice (about 15 small size tangerines)
250 ml water
200 g sugar
3 large egg whites (approximately 90gm total, with 1 large egg white=30g)
1 teaspoon orange blossom water (optional - a little goes a long way)
3 tablespoons gin or vodka (optional)

Method:

1. Put the tangerine juice, orange blossom water and vodka in a large enough (4 litres size) bowl. In another larger container put lots of ice and water. Sit the tangerine juice container in the icy water larger container. Put a fine sieve on the tangerine juice container.
    2. In a small sauce pot, bring sugar, and water to a boil. Let it boil for a minute or two then remove from heat source.
    3. In a mixing bowl, beat egg white a bit foamy, about ten seconds. Slowly pour in hot sugary mixture in a steady stream, into the fluffy egg white. Continue to mix the egg white and hot syrup steadily as you pour the sugar mixture into the egg white. You do not want to have cooked egg white at any time.
    4. Now pour you hot syrup and egg white mixture back into the sauce pot, and heat the mixture moderately, stirring the mixture slowly and constantly. We are thickening (tempering) the mixture, into a custard like consistency. Be very careful not to overheat , cause it will become egg-white soup . Heat until to about 75C - 79C if you have a thermometer. If you do not have thermometer you observe the custard coats the back of the spoon or spatula you are using, its ready.
    5. Immediately pour this custard through the sieve and into the cool tangerine juice. This would stop the custard from cooking pronto.
    6. Store the tangerine custard in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight.
    7. Churn the cooled tangerine custard according to your ice cream maker instructions.

Tip:
    1.Fruits, just like life are unpredictable. Sometimes is sweet and other times its sour. So getting the correct sweetness can a bit problematic. If the fruit mixture is a bit too sweet, you can add lemon or lime juice to balance. On the other hand you add more sugar if the fruit mixture is too sour.
    2. Buy fresh fruits that are in season and on sale. they taste good and price is reasonable too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cold Room All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: