Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Ben&Jerry NY Super Fudge Chunky Ice Cream (Pic and Rec)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Ben&Jerry NY Super Fudge Chunky Ice Cream (Pic and Rec) Reply with quote

Recently my nephew a connoisseur of ice cream threw down a gauntlet down. He challenged me to make Ben & Jerry New York Fudge Chunk ice cream. I never take a challenge lying down. After much research from both books from David Lebovitz The Perfect Scoop and Ben &Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book, I came up with the luxuriously and rich version using only Valrhona chocolate. You can get Valrhona from Sun Lick over in Seah Street.

Be warned, once you tasted quality chocolate there is no turning back to ordinary at least for me. You see I am in my forties where I need to start watching my diet. If I eat something that is bad for me, I might as well eat something that is the best. So I eat in moderate amounts of the best chocolate and of course chocolate ice cream since the inferior quality version is equally detrimental to my health anyway.

Ingredients for Ice Cream Custard
500 ml (2 cups) heavy cream
3 tablespoons (21g) unsweetened Valrhona cocoa powder
140g bittersweet Valrhona Pur Caraibe 77% Cocoa chopped. (Comes in 66% and 55%. But do not go lower that 55%)
250ml (1 cup) full cream milk
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt ( I use Maldon's)
5 large egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon Nielson-Massey vanilla extract (I bought it from Shermay's)

Ingredients for Mixed-In
30g Valrhona Chocolate nibbles
30g chopped bite size of Valrhona Pur Caribe 66% Cocoa
30g chopped bite size Valrhona White Chocolate
60g of Chocolate Covered Almonds (See below for recipe).

Recipe
    1. Warmed 250 ml (1 cup) of the heavy cream with cocoa powder in a medium saucepan. Whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa.
    2. Bring to boil and reduce to a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly.
    3. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate stirring until melted and smooth.
    4. Stir in the remaining 250 ml (1 cup) of heavy cream.
    5. Pour the mixture into a large bowl, scraping the saucepan as much as possible; put a mesh strainer on top of the bowl.
    6. Place the large bowl containing the sauce in a larger container containing ice and water so that the sauce will cool down.
    7. Warm the milk, sugar and salt in the same saucepan.
    8. While waiting for the milk to boil, in a separate bowl whisk together egg yolks
    9. Bring the warm milk to a boil and remove from heat.
    10. Slowly pour in hot milk a steady stream into the container of egg yolks. Continue to whisk the egg yolks and hot milk constantly as you pour the hot milk into the egg yolk. You do not want to have cooked egg yolks at any time.
    11. Now pour you egg custard into the sauce pot, and heat the custard moderately to thicken, stirring the custard slowly and constantly. We are thickening (tempering) the mixture, into a custard like consistency. You heat the custard to about 75C - 79C using thermometer to measure. If you do not have thermometer you observe the custard coats the back of the spoon or spatula you are using, it

Last edited by kwansm on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
limaupurut
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwasm, you are a person after my own heart! B&J and DL are 2 of the best ice cream books out there. Do check out Williams-Sonoma as well. Drool. yummy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwansm

Thank God I am allergic to Chocolate! love u
But I am going to try your other desserts that are not non-chocolate based. yummy

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh my gosh kwan...a true ice cream king here!!!

This is definitely a must try.... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cold Room All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: