Joined: 20 Jul 2004
|Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:42 am Post subject: Roast Beef in Mirin(recipe n pic)
|I wanted to try a new sauce of marinating beef for roasting. Proved to be a hit with family. Its tender, juicy and done just right. Medium RARE!!
I didn't have time to take a photo of the whole Rolled up beef before slicing. Was rushing to put dinner on the table. So here is the sliced up version..the bowl of blackish brown sauce is the drippings from the Roast.
2kg beef tenderloin(rolled up, tied)
1 tbsp Mace powder(if not, just use 5 Spice powder)
120ml Japanese mirin
60ml oyster sauce
20ml sesame oil
1. Rub beef with mace powder.
2. mix water with oyster sauce and sesame oil and add sugar to stir till it melts
3. Put beef in a large ziplock bag and rest of sauce.
4. Tighten the ziplock and leave it in the fridge to marinate for at least 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven at 220C for 10 mins
6. Place beef into a deep casserole dish with marinating sauce.
7. Roast for 25 mins on 220C and turn the beef around.
8. Now lower the temperature to 180C and roast for another 20 mins.
9. Remove from oven to cool before slicing.
Notes for LG SolarDom users
Note that the above roasting method is for all types of Convection oven.
But for LG SolarDom Microwave Convection oven, you need to adjust the temperature and timing or the beef will be over done and hard.
1. Do not preheat the oven. As this LG oven does not need preheating
2. Set the oven to CONV at 215C
3. Roast the meat with fat facing down for 15 mins
4. Turn the meat over to expose the fatty layer
5. Turn the temperature from 215C to 165C
6. Roast for another 25 mins
We loved our beef Medium Rare. The above roasting method is for Medium Rare.
If you prefer a Well Done Beef, then at Step 7, just turn the temperature at 200C and roast for 40 mins. Remember to turn it over every 15 mins to get an even roasting.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1