Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Japanese Braised Daikon(rec n pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Japanese Braised Daikon(rec n pic) Reply with quote

I actually do not know what this is called..so I just call it as Japanese braised daikon(radish). We had this side dish while having lunch at a Japanese restaurant the other day. My girls were fighting over it. As there are 3 of us and 2 pieces of it. So I tried to re-create this using Jap Soy sauce, mirin.

the ones we ate had pork. But I decided to leave this out as I was serving this to my inlaws who are vegetarians. Which means our muslim friends at KC can try this at home too..no pork!

Natasha said its very close to what we ate that day..happiness for me ! loves thumbs up

note that I have also added sliced lotus root into it. optional.

Ingredients
1 large daikon(radish)
100ml Japanese soy sauce
50ml Mirin
500ml water

Method
1. Peel daikon and cut into thick chunks.
2. Heat up a claypot with rest of the ingredients till it boils
3. Add daikon slices and leave it to cook till it boils again.
4. Once it starts boiling, turn heat to low.
5. Cover the claypot leaving a small hole and simmer for 1 hour over low heat.
6. Serve warm.

The braising sauce can be added to rice and eaten too.
No salt is needed as Japanese Soy sauce is saltish.
I have added lotus root slices. Its purely optional.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Gina, this dish is called Daikon Nimono. Japanese usually have this side dish when they have their meal. Sometimes they simmer daikon with beef (gyu niku)/pork (buta) or chicken (tori) but without meat, the dish can be as interesting. For vegetarian, you can play with ingredients like potatoes (imo)/lotus roots (renkon, which you already tried with)/carrots (ninjin)/burdock (gobo), mushrooms (shiitake)/pumpkin (kabocha)... etc... You can also add konnyaku or shirataki, taste great when they absorb all the flavours.

Usually, I use dashi stock instead of water. But since it's vegetarian, maybe could use just kelp (konbu), without the bonito flakes. It also helps if you add some sugar and sake to it. Oishii desu ne~~ yummy
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reirei

thank you for the tips! but I guess my inlaws have or will never get a chance to taste the Japanese version due to meat used, mine is as good as they can get.

I want to ask you if you know what is the other pickle they served on the side? the purple coloured pickle. It tasted like the radish too. But its pickled to be sour to the bite and slightly sweet.

Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina

I love those too. Pickles are called Tsukemono. Those purple coloured pickles are actually japanese eggplants (nasu), sometimes japanese cucumbers (kyuri) can be used too. Pickled with vinegar, salt, sugar and shiso leaves (thus the purple colour). Proportion-wise I am not too sure because my recipe is still inside my mom's store room. Or I have to ask my ex to ask his grandma for the recipe. :p
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rei

I want to learn to make all the different types of pickles in Jap cuisine. Do you have recipes for me to try?

yummy I want to do them for my mother in law. She loves pickles. i have done a few recipes for her. My hubby also loves pickles. Especially the japanese ones.

Thank you in advance. Smile

Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina

I have the recipes and notes. Let me go to my mom's place and dig. see stars I haven't tried them myself coz too many things to learn from baa-san. Hahaha.. grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Veggie Veggie All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: