Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Japanese Pickles - Bettara Tsuke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pickles, Pickles!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Japanese Pickles - Bettara Tsuke Reply with quote

Gina, as promised, bringing you a series of Japanese pickles. Will post slowly though, else my boss sees me 'eating snake' in office. :p

Saw your recipe for wine making, so thought this recipe might be interesting to you. This recipe calls for Koji (cooked rice which is fermented for 3 days). I am not sure if you can use your white rice residue, cos yours will be more than 3 days. I tried to ask Baa-san but she didn't try koji that are fermented beyond 3 days. So anyway, here's the recipe. (And, your mushy white rice residue does resembles amazake Wink ).

Ingredients
4kg Daikon
120g Salt
200g Koji
1 cup Sugar
100ml Mirin
20 cm Konbu (cut into 1 cm strips)
5 - 6 no.s Chilli padi

140ml Water

Method
1) Peel daikon. Cut into half and the length whereby your container can fit easily.
2) Rub salt on daikon and add 140ml of water.
3) Add weight on the daikon, cover and set aside for 1 day in a cool, dry place.
4) Open cover, bring daikon at the bottom on and submerge those on top at the bottom. Add weight, cover and leave for 2 to 3 days undisturbed.
5) Drain the daikon. In a clean, dry container, spread some koji at the bottom to form a bedding.
6) Place daikon, sprinkle konbu and place 2 chilli on top. Spread some koji, place daikon again.
7) Repeat step (6) until finish.
8.) Add weight and cover and leave in a cool, dry place for 5 to 6 days.
9) Before serving, take out the quantity needed and wash. Cut to desired size and serve.

Pickles can last for 10 days in a cool, dry place but I would suggest refrigeration after maturing as the temperature here is warmer than Japan.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rei

Thank YOU for this..! yummy I think I will just make a fresh batch of white rice residue for this. Yes, my other batch is very 'aged'. but I think I have to wait till i come back from China. coz got no cooks on standby at home. worried my fermentation stuff will be tempered see stars

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Pickles, Pickles! All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: