Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Hainanese hawker-style Black Pepper Steak (Recipe and Pic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Meats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cook4me
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Hainanese hawker-style Black Pepper Steak (Recipe and Pic) Reply with quote

Hainanese hawker-style black pepper steak.

This is my own recipe inspired by the hawker center western food stall. It is based partly on my recollections and partly on research of various local cookbook recipes. I hope you enjoy,

8 oz Ribeye steak (per person)
Kosher salt
2 tsp peanut oil

Black pepper sauce (serves 2):
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot chopped finely
1 clove of garlic (roasted)
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbsp whole black peppercorns (lightly cracked)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce

1) Preheat broiler or cast iron grill on high heat.

2) Season steak liberally with kosher salt until completely coated. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes. Wash salt away, and pat dry.

3) Brush steak with peanut oil. Grill on each side for approximately 3 minutes for medium or until desired doneness. Let steak rest for 10 minutes.

4) In the meantime, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter on low heat. Add black pepper. Stir in chopped shallots. Toss for 2 minutes. Mix in the roasted garlic. Immediately deglaze with white wine. Add the rest of the seasoning. Spoon over steak and serve immediately.

For an authentic hawker style meal, top with an egg cooked sunny side up and serve with a side of french fries. Enjoy.

Here is the finished result served with homemade blue potato chips.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Meats All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: