Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Handmade Udon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> oodles of Noodles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Handmade Udon Reply with quote

For Bushido, I hope this turns out to be good as I have not tried it myself. This recipe belongs to an old lady whom I fondly know as Yasuko baa-san.

Ingredients
2 cup plain flour
1 tbsp salt
2/3 cup water

flour for dusting
cold water

Method
1) Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle.
2) Dissolve salt into water, pour into the well and fold in to form a dough.
3) On a floured surface, knead until smooth but firm.
4) Hit the dough hard with fist at least 100 times to remove air pockets. (Now you know why I didn't try to make this? eheh..)
5) Cover with a damp cloth and leave for 2 hours.
6) Roll out on a floured surface to make a rectangular sheet about 3mm thick. Dust with flour and fold 1 long side towards the centre.
7) Turn over, dust with flour and fold the other long side over the top. (looks like 'S' shape in cross-section)
8.) Fold the dough in half length-wise.
9) Use a sharp knife, cut the dough crossways into 3mm thick strips. Separate the stands. (can freeze for later use)
10) Bring a pot of water to boil, add udon and cook for 25 to 30 minutes, adding cold water each time it starts to boil. Do this until the noodles are thoroughly cooked but slightly firm.
11) Drain and wash well under cold water.
12) Prepare first dashi stock, add in sugar, shoyu, mirin and udon, bring to boil. Top with abura-age, kamaboko and sliced spring onions to get Kitsune Udon. (Whew! finally see stars )
Dewy
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Reirei! Must try making my own udon one day! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> oodles of Noodles All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: