Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
A kinda Cinnamon Roll(recipe and pic by Chawanmushi)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chawanmushi
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: A kinda Cinnamon Roll(recipe and pic by Chawanmushi) Reply with quote

I used Hugbear's sweet bun dough recipe and then spread butter and cinnamon sugar on the dough before rolling it up. Baked it and then glazed the hot rolls with gelatine and drizzled with vanilla frosting.
My ds A loved it and I've baked it twice already.

Last edited by Chawanmushi on Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecily

so clever! share your recipe (amounts of ingredients) to use for making this.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
makan_kaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hand held high, waving* Me too! Me too!
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this looks just yummy Cecily! Yes please share your recipe... I LOVE cinnamon. One thing I miss about the USA is cinnabons LOL... I know... I should quit being lazy and make my own.
Chawanmushi
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BASIC SWEET BUN DOUGH into Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients

(A)
Bread flour 480 gm
Plain flour 120 gm
Caster sugar 110 gm
Milk powder 20 gm
Dry yeast 4 tsp

(B)
Egg 1 no
Cold water 300 ml

(C)
Unsalted butter 60 gm
Salt 10 gm

Method
1. Mix (A) till well blended (just use a spoon to stir to mix well).
2. Add (B) to form a dough. Add in (C) and knead until dough is elastic and smooth.
3. Gather dough to form a ball and cover dough with cling wrap and let it rest for abt 50-60 mins or double in size.
4. Divide dough into 2 portions.
5. Roll out the dough to 1 1/2 cm thick.
6. Spread the dough well with 100g butter or pastry margarine.
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (100g caster sugar & 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder).
8. You may add choc. chips, nuts, raisins, peaches...etc.
9. Roll it up like a swiss roll & cut 2cm thick.
10. Put on a tray & let it rest for 40 mins.
11. Bake at 180 deg. C for 15 mins.
12. Out of the oven, brush with gelatine glaze and drizzle with vanilla glaze.

1st Glaze - Gelatine Glaze
3 tbsp water
1.5 tbsp sugar
3 tsp gelatine

Place ingredienst in a small saucepan, stir over a low heat until sugar and gelatine dissolves. Brush over hot bread.

2nd Glaze - Vanilla Glaze
0.5 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 tbsp milk

Combine ingredients in a small mixing bowl and stir until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over gelatine glaze.

The Glazes made the cinnamon rolls very nice.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this today..I didn't add the glaze to beautify it. But added sultanas with the cinnamon sugar. I also added a tsp of Nutmeg powder to the cinnamon sugar to give it an extra fragance and taste.

My sis ate 2 pieces and she ask for more. I think I will have to bake again.

Thanks to Hugbear and Chawanmushi for posting/sharing this recipe.

wink
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, you can consider opening a bakery lah!
hugbear
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina, you are welcome on the basic sweet bread recipe. Some ideas of how to do cinnamon rolls. You can use a round, square, heart shape, in fact any shape baking tin to make cinnamon rolls if you don't want to make individual one. These are some of them that I have baked.
To make the cinnamon sugar, mix 90 gm of soften butter with 90 gm of brown sugar with 2 tsp of cinnamon powder (if you like you can add more). Mix well for spreading on the rolled out dough.

I sprinkle mixed fruit peels and raisins on the dough before rolling it up. Egg wash it and sprinkle some sliced almonds on top.

This one is plain because my children prefer it like that.

babyphat2022
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leelee,

for the shaped ones, do you roll up the dough, cut into the individual chunks, then fit it into the mould?
Nyetzy
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recipe is exactly the same as a recipe found in the book by Alex Goh titled The World of Bread. A friend of mine gave me the book for my birthday and I thought that the recipe looked familiar when I read it. Sometime ago, my friend bought a Breville breadmaker from Tangs and the sales girl/promoter there also gave her a list of recipes neatly typed out. On that list are recipes found in this book as well and it has been passed on as though it had been concieved by whoever is circulating it.

I am bothered by this because the same recipe is circulating around town without anyone giving any credit to this man who has written the book. It is okay to share the recipe but please give credit where it is due. I would be very offended if a recipe concieved by me is being circulated without due credit given. Even recipe contributors here in this forum are given credit as in which recipe given by so and so. So, please, may I urge you all to give credit to where you find these recipes whether from a book or a website.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nyetzy wrote:
This recipe is exactly the same as a recipe found in the book by Alex Goh titled The World of Bread. A friend of mine gave me the book for my birthday and I thought that the recipe looked familiar when I read it. Sometime ago, my friend bought a Breville breadmaker from Tangs and the sales girl/promoter there also gave her a list of recipes neatly typed out. On that list are recipes found in this book as well and it has been passed on as though it had been concieved by whoever is circulating it.

I am bothered by this because the same recipe is circulating around town without anyone giving any credit to this man who has written the book. It is okay to share the recipe but please give credit where it is due. I would be very offended if a recipe concieved by me is being circulated without due credit given. Even recipe contributors here in this forum are given credit as in which recipe given by so and so. So, please, may I urge you all to give credit to where you find these recipes whether from a book or a website.

Nyetzy

Well said. However,we learnt the basics of a recipe from someone, somewhere(book media, TV program, website, other food forums). We changed the ingredients to suit our tastes and sometimes its difficult to pinpoint which book or person we learnt it from. Especially when most of us here do alot of mix-matching just to perfect a skill.

Like some of the recipes I posted here are from someone I never knew..my mom learnt from a cooking class in a community centre in 1975. She improvised the recipe over the years to suit her taste.

Sometimes, its difficult to draw the line on this.

Nyetzy
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Gina, but we should acknowlegge that the recipe has been adapted from an original recipe if the source is known. Even cooking magazines do that so that they will not run into trouble with the law, ie: copyrights. If I'm not mistaken, you can be taken to task if the owner of the recipe finds out and want to make trouble esp in such an open forum but I admit it is difficult to monitor.

Of course, some of these recipes have undergone multiple generation, hence it is difficult to find out what it was initially much less credit the source. However, in this case, it is straight forward. The basic recipe is exactly the same except for the glazing etc but the basic dough recipe is as it is. Like I mentioned, the sales person at Tangs has been distributing it quite indiscriminately to all her customers, so it will not be surprising that most if not all of them do not know the actual source.

I hope in future postings we can all be mindful about this.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nyetzy

yes..I totally agree with you on copyright and laws governing that. Thus I stated very clearly here that we should not just extract recipes straight out of a book and post here unless we got the permission from the author or publisher:

http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=322

But then i cannot force anyone here to give credit to the source where they got their recipes from.

If I remember, I often give credit to the source of where I get the inspiration to re-create a dish. Like for most of the citrus fruits meat cooking I have here..majority came from Sunkist brand of Oranges/Lemons/Grapefruits. Although some western ones were recently acquired knowledge from my friend Seok Buay. She learns from her Chef trainer with whom she pays to learn and shares the tip with me for free. She takes short courses at the Le Cordon Bleu school in Paris.

Like of late, I got some Indian cooking books written by Devagi Shanmugam. though I modified one of her Brinjal and Lentils curry recipe to suit my own tastes, I wrote to her via email to seek her permission to post the recipe here. She wrote to say its okay.

I also gave her the recipe that I modified.

I am waiting for her next edition of Cooking with Asian Leaves..!

Thanks again for highlighting this point and issue.

CDL
lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baked this today. Excellent recipe (credit goes to Alex Goh and all those who tried his recipe and have recommended it). I reduced the butter when rolling up the dough by dabbing the butter very lightly. It came out perfect to my taste - not oily and more breadlike with a strong smell and taste of cinnamon.

There are alot of opportunities to vary the filing - raisins, nuts (chopped, powdered), sprinkles, chocolate rice.

This recipe is going into my list of "no-fail" recipes that I use when I have company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: