Joined: 27 Jul 2007
|Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:31 am Post subject: Rum and Raisins Ice Cream
|Needed extra egg whites for chiffon cakes, so left with the yolks. Make use of them to make ice cream.
4 egg yolks
4 tbsp fine sugar
1 tsp cornflour
150ml UHT milk or fresh milk
150ml dairy whip cream
250ml non dairy whip cream
50g dark rum
80g raisins (soaked in rum overnight)
1) In a mixing bowl, whip (C) till stiff peak, refrigerate for later use.
2) In a steel bowl, using a hand whisk, beat (A) till pale.
3) In a pot, bring (B) to a simmer and pour into (A) in a steady stream, whisking constantly.
4) Using double-boil method, whisking the mixture constantly and cook the custard till thicken.
5) Cool the custard by plunging the bowl over a cold water bath, whisk the custard. (I did this because I was impatient.)
6) Fold in whipped non dairy cream into the mixture, add rum, raisins and mix well.
7) Pour into a 1.5 litres clean plastic container and freeze for 5 to 6 hours.
8.) Remove from freezer and whisk till smooth and creamy. Return to container and freeze overnight or till set.
*Note : I use double boil method because I was afraid I might ended up with scrambled eggs. This method is slower. To speed up, you can also use direct heat to cook the custard but you need use low heat.
**Note : You can also use blender for step (8.), but add the raisins only after you blend the ice cream.
"If you understand everything, you must be misinformed" -- Japanese Proverb
All That Matters