Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Orange Bread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Orange Bread Reply with quote

This is my own creation. It smells and tastes like bread dipped in orange juice! Something unconventional for those who dare to try...lol...

Dry Ingredients
250g bread flour
8g milk powder (1 tblsp)
35g sugar (you may reduce to 30g if you prefer the bread to be less sweet)
4g salt (1 tsp)
3g yeast (1 & 1/4 tsp)

Wet Ingredients
25g egg (half an egg)
25g magarine
110g freshly squeezed orange juice, unsieved (about 2 mid size oranges)
1 tbl orange zest (about 1 orange)

Method
1. Place the dry ingredients into a big bowl and mix well.
2. Add in the wet ingredients to form a dough.
3. Knead dough until dough is elastic and smooth.
4. Place it in a large greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or cling-wrap and leave it to proof in a warm place till double in size. (about 1-1.5 hrs)
5. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
6. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions (about 47g per portion).
7. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and place them into a loaf pan.
8. Cover the loaf pan with a cling wrap and allow the dough to go for second proofing until double in size again (about 1 hr).
9. Brush the top with a little magarine and sprinkle some sugar on top.
10. Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 15 minutes.
11. Remove bread from loaf pan to cool completely.

The bread turns out well, very soft and fluffy and taste absolutely orangy! It's a little sweet, so for those who prefer a less sweet bread, you may adjust the amount of sugar.

Last edited by kwf on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
makanholic
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wai Fun

This bread looks fantastic & I bet it taste delicious.
Since u have made a lot of bread, can u tell me what's the different in taste & texture between breads made with egg & without egg?
Can I omit the egg in this recipe?
I've already tried your cream cheese bread & it was soft and yummy.
Thanks for posting the recipe.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WF

wah..can create your own bread recipe already! Smile love ah lao ask me yesterday, why the orange in the fridge got no skin one...hahahaha grin

I was grating the skin to make cookies.. yummy

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makanholic wrote:
Hi Wai Fun

This bread looks fantastic & I bet it taste delicious.
Since u have made a lot of bread, can u tell me what's the different in taste & texture between breads made with egg & without egg?
Can I omit the egg in this recipe?
I've already tried your cream cheese bread & it was soft and yummy.
Thanks for posting the recipe.

makanholic, the key feature about this bread is the after taste. The orange taste still lingers in your mouth for a while after finishing the bread.

From my limited knowledge, egg helps to improve the texture of the bread. So far the only bread I've baked without egg is the cream cheese bread. In terms of texture, it's quite similar with other bread, but it could be because the cream cheese (its fat content) helps to improve the texture. This is my wild guess. The amount of egg used in this bread is very little, you can probably try to omit it. I think I'll do the same to test the next round I bake this. Let me know your result ok, so that we can learn more about bread. Need to increase my limited knowledge.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina wrote:
WF

wah..can create your own bread recipe already! Smile love ah lao ask me yesterday, why the orange in the fridge got no skin one...hahahaha grin

I was grating the skin to make cookies.. yummy

ya lor, I got the idea from your lemon zest cupcakes. Couldn't forget the aroma of the cuppies. grin
fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made bread without eggs before...don't really find a diff. in texture! :o)

Most recipes don't call for a substantial amount of eggs, anyway. It guess it would only affect the texture in stuff like Challah where the dough is made up of over 8 yolks. :o)

Anyway, KWF, thanks for the recipe. I'll try it out on Sunday or Monday :o)
pepperino
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KWF

Tried this recipe just now, the dough was very sticky, very difficult to handle. Not sure if I made a mistake with the measurement of the ingredients.

It's proofing now.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperino wrote:
Hi KWF

Tried this recipe just now, the dough was very sticky, very difficult to handle. Not sure if I made a mistake with the measurement of the ingredients.

It's proofing now.

Pepperino, I use a machine (my VM) to knead the dough, after that put in a well greased bowl to proof. Did you use manual kneading? If yes, then the dough may be a bit sticky. But after proofing, mine was ok, still can divide into balls. Let me know how's yours, ok?
fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan, why dont you try adding a little flour gradually till it doesnt stick? Or just oil your hands grin
pepperino
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amrita, yes I did add a little flour later but that was after I've wrestle with the dough for a while.

After more than 35 mins of continuous kneading, the stubborn dough still remained very sticky. Is this normal? I continue to work with it for another 10 minutes and it became less sticky. It was really tiring, so I left it to proof.

The proofing takes longer time than expected, so I went out to collect my car from the service centre instead. When I came back, the dough looked more ready, maybe the heat from my mum's cooking help in the proofing.

But I must say the effort is really worth it, when the bread was being baked, the whole kitchen smell so good.

Happy to say the bread taste good too, soft and fluffy. Lucky I didn't give up.
fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it turned out well even after a mini disaster, haha!

Well, normally I use the bread hook in my Kitchen Aid...at first the dough normally seems extremely sticky (any recipe), but after letting it mix for another 7 mins or so, the dough gradually stops sticking to the side of the mixing bowl.. :o)...
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperino, very glad yours work out well! This is a rather sticky dough, so 35 mins of kneading is not unusual.

I usually boil water in my electric kettle, then leave the whole mixing bowl with dough on top of the hot kettle to proof the bread. Never fails me (except for really cold weather).

Did you reduce the sugar? Is the bread too sweet for you? I like this because it's tasty enough to eat it without additional spread.
fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf wrote:
pepperino, very glad yours work out well! This is a rather sticky dough, so 35 mins of kneading is not unusual.

I usually boil water in my electric kettle, then leave the whole mixing bowl with dough on top of the hot kettle to proof the bread. Never fails me (except for really cold weather).

Did you reduce the sugar? Is the bread too sweet for you? I like this because it's tasty enough to eat it without additional spread.

Oh, that's a great idea!!!!! (the kettle proofing)....These days I do it in my oven which I set to 30-40 degrees....Hmmm...your method seems a lot more practical since in the end I would have left the oven turned on for about 4 hours bawling tears
euniceface
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how's it like without egg? i want to make a whole meal loaf version of this tonight Smile would appreciate replies & suggestions maybe! Very Happy i read the way to get a great wholemeal loaf is to add gluten...anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!
fishandrice
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euniceface wrote:
so how's it like without egg? i want to make a whole meal loaf version of this tonight Smile would appreciate replies & suggestions maybe! Very Happy i read the way to get a great wholemeal loaf is to add gluten...anyone have any experience with this?

thanks!

Sorry to say, but that doesn't make sense to me! bawling tears Maybe you could educate me!!!!! Hehehehe..

To my knowledge, Gluten is present in the flour and needs to be developed via constant kneading.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euniceface wrote:

thanks!

eunice, not sure about adding gluten. so how? If you like a wholemeal version, try 50g wholemeal flour & 200g bread flour. You can increase the ratio of wholemeal flour, but do note that wholemeal flour has less gluten than bread flour. If the proportion is higher, your bread will take longer to rise and may not rise as high.
euniceface
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kwf & fishandrice! Yes I do know how little gluten wholemeal flour contains. I had beautifully risen 100% wholemeal flour by adding an egg inside...i've NEVER been able to reproduce it & its been driving me nuts! Did a whole study on bread, its process & the goodness of wholemeal so I'm quite determined to make good bread again!

Okay so I've dug up my notes from last year and found out the name for that gluten i was talking about is xanthum gum. I havent found it (or couldn't!) in my local stores...anyone else heard of this?

Hmm I hope to update you guys on my quest for the perfect wholemeal loaf! Very Happy
euniceface
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're some reference to gluten here: http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6121

KWF, would like to ask you, where is the Hokkaido Loaf you normally follow? Is it the same as that whole wheat version up there? Want to bake both white & wholemeal Very Happy (hahah look at how double lopsy sided I'm being! Hehe the white's for some guests)
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the gluten, Phoon Huat carries wheat gluten (powder like). Usually add about a tsp to bread recipe.

All That Matters
euniceface
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! I'm heading down to singapore in June maybe, hope to get some there! Could you let me know how to get there by MRT? Smile
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

euniceface wrote:
Ooh! I'm heading down to singapore in June maybe, hope to get some there! Could you let me know how to get there by MRT? Smile

Eunice

Phoon Huat runs a chain of stores all over Singapore. Check out their website to find a store near where you are staying (hotel in SG).

http://www.phoonhuat.com/sto_loc.htm

island

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euniceface wrote:
There're some reference to gluten here: http://www.kitchencapers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6121

KWF, would like to ask you, where is the Hokkaido Loaf you normally follow? Is it the same as that whole wheat version up there? Want to bake both white & wholemeal Very Happy (hahah look at how double lopsy sided I'm being! Hehe the white's for some guests)

eunice, I used the recipe in Florence's blog for the Hokkaido loaf. I haven't tried a whole wheat version yet. The wholewheat hokkaido recipe in KC is different from Florence's.
Alannia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eunice,

They sell the gluten here in Bake with Yen. I bought it and still have some with me at home. I don't remember what it's called off-hand. Let me go back and check.
euniceface
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely! Will buy it the next time I go. Waiting for your reply! Very Happy is it pricey btw?
sweet-tooth
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to try this so badly but the weather nowadays is so gloomy and cold.
I even had to wear a jacket at home this afternoon.
Brrr!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: