Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Orange Bread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinadoll wrote:
kwf, when u said u reduced the orange juice for the second attempt, does that means u substitute with water?

No chinadoll, I simply use less orange juice, ie reduce the amount of liquid to make the dough more manageable.
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf, thanks for the quick reply... i'll try it soon.
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wan fai, I had a senior moment last Thursday and thought that your orange bread used tang zhong so I made that first and then took your recipe out to follow....Of course...I found out that you did not use tang zhong. I did not want to waste the tang zhong but was determined to make orange bread that night. So I proceded to make seadragon's soft bread but substituted the liquid with diluted orange juice conc (2 cans water + conc instead of the recommended 3 cans water + conc); added 1 1/2 Tbsp zest as the recipe uses more flour (475 gm). I used the bread machine to knead and first proof (left it in for extra 30 mins). The resultant bread was great! But I think I should have used a better brand than Costco's kirkland and more zest. Thanks ....will be making yours next time.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, asan...Your tray of orange bread looks great! Next time try using freshly squeezed juice to see if you can get a better flavoured breaf. don't sieve the juice so that you can get bits of orange pulps in it.
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my orange bread... very fragrant and soft.. left only 2 pcs. Thanks kwf for the recipe.

kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, chinadoll! Glad you like it! Smile
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI kwf

can this recipe be used for bread machine? i would love to try it out but no time to do the kneading myself... if yes, i can just dump the ingredients according to the sequence required for my machine, right? another question, can i replace the margarine with butter cause i don't have margarine?

thks

regards
octopusmum
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmum wrote:
HI kwf

can this recipe be used for bread machine? i would love to try it out but no time to do the kneading myself... if yes, i can just dump the ingredients according to the sequence required for my machine, right? another question, can i replace the margarine with butter cause i don't have margarine?

thks

regards
octopusmum

octopusmum, I know some bakers have tried it using bread machine, so should be no problem. And yes, you can replace magarine with butter, I use magarine coz I wanted a healthier version.
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI kwf

thks for your reply! I am thinking of using the bread machine just to make the dough. after that, i intend to bake the bread using a normal oven. Will you be able to advise what do i need to do after the dough cycle is completed? sorry for asking such questions, i heard that the bread tends to be softer if use oven to bake so I would like to try that...

rgds
octopusmum
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmum, I did it just the way u described, let the bread machine do the dough and take it out when done. Just need to shape it and let it rise in the mould and bake it. This is my 2nd attempt. I add a little evaporated milk coz i find it too dry on first attempt.

May May
Commis Cook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very very good chinadoll!!

Regards...May
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks May... still need lots of improvement.. Kwf's looks more delicious.
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chinadoll

thks for sharing your experience. after you took out the dough from the machine, do you need to punch down the dough first before shaping it? some recipes require that step but some don't so i am a bit confused as to when do we need to punch down the dough...

thks

regards
octopusmum
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octopusmum.... you don't have to punch it down cos by the time you are done with your shaping, the dough is more or less punched down..hahaha... so you just work on it and let it sit in a warm place (I leave it in the warmed up oven).
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmum wrote:
HI Chinadoll

thks for sharing your experience. after you took out the dough from the machine, do you need to punch down the dough first before shaping it? some recipes require that step but some don't so i am a bit confused as to when do we need to punch down the dough...

thks

regards
octopusmum

octopusmum, in general, "punch down" means to release the air from the first proofing. This helps to prevent big holes in our bread after baked. When I take out the bread for shaping after the 1st proof, I'll usually roll it out first, then do a 3-fold (like folding letter), divide the dough into the required smaller portions, rest for 5-10 minutes (so that the dough is easier to work with) and then finally shape and send for second proofing. Even if the recipe doesn't specify the punch down step, as long as shaping is required, it implicitly imply that air will be released when we shape the dough. I think most breads which require double proofing will need this punch down step, unless the recipe just send the bread for baking after first proofing.

Hope that helps you a little. That is what I interpret for most recipes.
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinadoll wrote:
Thanks May... still need lots of improvement.. Kwf's looks more delicious.

chinadoll, it's just my pictures look sharper. Smile I bet mine taste the same as yours.
asan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wai fun, will you be sharing your whole wheat bread recipe? Did you use tang zhong? I would love to try making some healthier bread.
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Chinadoll and kwf

thks so much for your explanations!

i always encountered problems when using breadmachine to make the dough. The dough would either be too sticky or when i rolled it out, it would shrink back to the original position. I remembered using the bm once to make the sweet bun dough and the dough was very difficult to shape. eg when i tried to wrap fillings in the bun, the dough would just open up...may i know what is the reason for this? i did rest the dough for about 5 mins before shaping....

thks in advance.

regards
octopusmum
chinadoll
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmum, you probably knead it too long and didnt allow it to rest long enough before u start shaping and putting in the fillings. 5 mins is too short a period so let it stand longer (about 30 mins to an hour) and you'll find it much softer and managable.

Hope that helps.
octopusmum
lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chinadoll

thks a million for your tips!

i will take note of what you said if i make any bread in future....it is really frustrating to handle sticky dough or dough that refuse to cooperate...

regards
octopusmum
Reena
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf,
I finally did your Orange Bread.

I just dumped all ingredients into breadmaker machine and let it do all the job. The 1st time I did it, I used freshly squeezed OJ, bread tasted very heavenly. The 2nd time, I was too lazy to squeeze OJ, I just make do with Sunkist OJ, still ok but not as fragrant as fresh OJ. However, the bread turned dry on the next day.

Definitely a keeper and most importantly, my kids love it! Think the next time I do this, I'll bake in oven as I find the loaf from BM machine abit too dry.
Enne
lurker

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this bread once and it turns out soft....only on the 1st day! The next day, was hard as rock!

Is it coz I din add bread softener?

I have a pic somewhere but have no idea how to insert it here...help?
kwf
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enne wrote:
I did this bread once and it turns out soft....only on the 1st day! The next day, was hard as rock!

Is it coz I din add bread softener?

I have a pic somewhere but have no idea how to insert it here...help?

Hmm...that's weird, Enne. I didn't add bread softener too, mine was still ok the next day.
pclum
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try your recipe by using breadmaker, I add the bread improver about 3g, using normal white bread setting ( 3 hr) but I stop the machine after bake for about 40 min, ie when the reading of the machine showing 20 min.

As I find that in the normal white bread setting, the braking time is about 1 hr and that is for the size of about 700g final total wt of bread, and if the bread is about 450g, the baking time must reduce by about 20 min or else the bread will be very hard.
coolcookie
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwf, my bread just came out of the oven, but sadly it wasn't half as good as yours. So disappointed.

I am going to try it again and hopefully better luck next time round.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Breads from all over All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: