Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Todak Otak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daz
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Todak Otak Reply with quote

Been fishing and have been targeting todak for it's fighting ability. However, it's flesh is very bland and after some experiment, this is what I created. Otak using todak fillet, you can use any firm fish fillet.

(Ingredients, qty, unit)
Todak fillet, 400 grams
Egg, 1
Corn Flour, 2 teaspoon (use 1 heap TABLEspoon of self raising flour if you prefer to use process the todak in a blender)
Coconut CREAM, 120ml (I use 'Kara' brand coconut cream, if you use coconut MILK (packet or fresh) you might need to add more)
Sugar, 1 heaped teaspoon (use less you are using sweeter tasting fish)
Salt, 1/3 teaspoon (adjust if belacan is salty)
Kaffir lime leaf, 1/2 piece (Optional; leaf is hourglass shaped, so use one half of it)
Laksa leaf, leaf from one stalk (appox 15 leaf, big and small)

(Blended ingredients)
Shallots, 4 pieces
Lemon grass, 2 stalk (Use bottom section, remove fibrous other layers)
Galanggal, 4cm (diameter) x 1.5cm section
Dried chilli, 15 pieces (soak 10min in hot water, remove stalk and de-seed)
Candle nut, 4 pcs
Chilli padi, 4 pieces (optional, dun use if you dun like spicy otak)
Belacan, 1 cm block (I use Penang 'Shrimp and 6A' brand, adjust according to your preferred brand of belacan)
Turmeric powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon

For wrapping otak
Oil
Banana leaf
Upper section of lemon grass
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Preparation
Use food process, blender, or whatever you have to blend the "Blended ingredients" into a smooth paste. Get it as smooth as possible, add some water if needed. Important not to have any big bits of stuff in the paste.

Cut up the todak fillet into small blocks, then use the BACK of a chopper to pound the fillet into a mushy lump of fish meat. If you plan to blend the fillet, change the corn flout to self raising flour. However, end result still differ, I prefer the pounding method. Please use a cheap chopper to do this job, don't risk using your ultra expensive ultra sharp above $100 chef knife to do the pounding.

Remove center stalk of kaffir lime leaf and chopped in as tiny as you can (Optional; I like the explosion of flavor when I bite into one of these tiny bit, omit it if you dun like the taste of this. Dun add too much as it will alter the otak taste)
Chopped up the laksa leaf into as tiny as possible, they should be able to be chopped smaller then the kaffir lime leaf.

Cooking
Tough part of preparing the spices and fish meat over, time to cook.
Mixed the fish meat, blended ingredients, coconut cream, corn flour, egg, salt and sugar together. After it is well mixed then add in the kaffir lime leaf and laksa leaf.
Pounded fish meat will appear a tad wet. Blended fish meat will bond together so well that it look like a roti prata dough.
Some folks advice to leave the entire mixture in the fridge for an hour before cooking it, I leave it to you if you want to follow.

Wash banana leaf. Wipe dry with towel. Cut into size you requires.
Optional - Take the 2 upper portion of the lemon grass, tied a rubber band in the middle and make 2 cut length wise. This will act as a brush to spread the oil. (Yes, I am a cheapskate who cannot afford to buy a proper brush... haha).
Take a cut portion of banana leaf, spread a thin layer of oil and place the otak mixture. Wrapped up, close the two ends with staple and it is ready to cook.
Using my Tefal oven, Grill function, 100C, middle rack, 7 min each side. Note - The banana leaf at the end will be burnt, while the area with the otak mixture will be very brown.
End Result. See 1st pic lah.

No banana leaf how? Use the good old foil, spread the otak mixture evenly, place in oven. BAKE, 170C, 15 to 20 mintue (depending on thickness). This method will yield a firm top coat, bottom layer is moist.

If you wonder how todak look like, it is the larger ones in the pic below. Seldom seen fish in market as they are surface fish.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ai ya, cannot eat spicy food for 1 month.. bawling tears I love your otak otak!

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
daz
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness Gina, are you permanently logged in there? posted a reply so fast.
Having sore throat?

I am not even a weekend cook, just cook once a while. So folks, please test test the taste with a small batch first before going all out to cook for friends and family.

It is because I had too much of todak fillet that I need to find an aromatic way to cook it before it goes bad.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz

I had surgery done on my incision hernia. Doctor said to keep off Spicy food till I have fully recovered.

by the way, your fotos are too big..can u reduce the size to 6x4 inches and set the resolution to be 72 dpi?

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
wombat
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow fishing!!! i always wanted to fish... i have abt 5 rods at home etc...

yet my dad dont want to bring me for fishing... he say too dangerous for me.. how sad ha
daz
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina, pix are hosted on Photobucket. Thus shouldn't reside on the server. Any prob on the arrangement?

Hi Wombat, I fish about twice a month. Currently my fav hunting ground is at St John Island, if you like you can join, usually on Sunday. It is a very safe place to fish as long as you are not crazy to try any stunts there. Young kids are also fishing there, so is pretty safe for all.

PS -> Anyone who wanted to have todak to try their hand at cooking Assam Pedas, Otak, Curry, etc let me know. I will let you know when I am going fishing and will contact you if I have todak (3 of us recently murdered 20 todak on Gd Friday). However, I have to remind you that the flesh though is very firm, it is pretty bland.
Condition - Self collect at Bt Batok, my place void deck. Will pass you entire fish. Sorry gutting and fillet service not provided, I hate to do that.
Of course to post up here how you ate the fish and share your recipe, fair? make friends
lynn_m
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz... you normally fish on Sunday at St John..
last when fishing last year at bedok jetty and caught some Jepun fish...
cook asam fish hehehehee..

Maybe time to work on my fishing skills again!
nothing beats eating fresh fish!

Thank you for the recipe!
wombat
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz, hehe thanks for asking me..

but now i cant walk so i cant go out.

Further more sunday usually i am in church so kinda not much time left after church.
honeylemon
lurker

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wah Piang, I better don't come in here. All the food is making me crazy liao bawling tears So sedap man yummy

"It's not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it's because we do not dare that they are difficult" Seneca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Seafood All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: