Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Nigella Lawson's Roast Prime Rib with Potatoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Meats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefanie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Nigella Lawson's Roast Prime Rib with Potatoes Reply with quote

This is from her book, Feast. And it is excellent. Serves 8 very generously.
I made this for 12 though,and it was fine too. If you halve the recipe...of course adjust cooking time accordingly.
If you get good meat,no more than salt and pepper is needed to bring out its flavour.
I adapted the potato recipe for health reasons, and added garlic and parsley because it tastes lovely...

YOU NEED:
3.5kg boned joint of sirloin
sea salt
black pepper
olive oil to rub

2.5kg King Edward pototoes (the large kind,with white flesh)
2 tbsp semolina
50ml olive oil
1 tbsp butter
sea salt, black pepper
10 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp finely chopped english parsley

HOW:
Preheat the oven to 220C and position the rack at the lower section.
Pat the meat dry then rub generously with olive oil, salt and pepper...massage it into every corner...then let it sit in a roasting tray while the oven heats..it is important that your meat is at room temperature.
Cold meat takes a longer time to cook and hence you could risk drying it out.

Roast for 33 mins per kg for rare meat and at 44 mins per kg for medium rare meat. Medium would be 50 mins per kg....the longest you can cook it at is 60 mins per kg otherwise you end up with tough meat.

Towards the 45 mins of cooking, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Peel and quarter the potatoes (I give myself 45 mins because I am left handed and hence a slow peeler haha!). Boil them for 8 minutes in the water and then drain. Put them back into the empty pot, sprinkle on salt,pepper,the crushed garlic and parsley. Sprinkle on the semilina and then cover the pot,wear oven gloves (in case the handles are hot) then shake the pot quite vigorously for 10 seconds. This allows everything to mix,at the same time,fluffing up the potato edges so they become very crispy later.
Empty the potatoes into a oven proof dish or a roasting pan. Add the butter on top. The potatoes must be in a single layer.

Heat up the olive oil in a pan until very hot,for this reason,do not use extra virgin olive oil.

Remove the meat from the oven. Set it aside. Place your oven rack in the middle section of the oven. Increase the temperature to 220C.
Then carefully pour the boiling oil over top of the potatoes,stirring to coat. Place the dish in the oven and leave it to roast for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, tent the roast prime rib with some foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes. Do not prick/carve the meat because it needs to rest i.e for the juices to distribute evenly throughout the joint.

You can use this time to prepare a salad to accompany the dish. I love romaine leaves, sliced Grace cup tomatoes, japanese cucumbers and toasted pine nuts with a simple balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. Simply stir 2 parts olive oil with one part balsamic vinegar with sugar,salt and black pepper to taste.

To serve, carve the rib and serve with some potatoes and lots of salad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> International Meats All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: