Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Spinach Tofu - Sam Leong (Recipe & No Pictures)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Eggs & Tofu Dishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Spinach Tofu - Sam Leong (Recipe & No Pictures) Reply with quote

I attended two cooking classes conducted by our local celebrity chef Sam Leong. He is a very approachable person, he shared with me other cooking tips not found in the recipe - Provided you ask him. I benefited the most when I ask questions about other recipes. Remember Do Not Be Shy. Ask for their (the chefs) email addresses or mobile phones. You can email or call them if you have any questions. Above all be sincere . Most often they will reply. Remember you got nothing to loose or feel embarrassed about , at most they don't answer or they say no.

Homemade Spinach Tofu
Sobe Soy Milk (non sugar) 1 litre
5 egg yolks
7 egg whites (That is 7 eggs and remove 2 egg yolks)
Salt
Reirei
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for sharing the recipe. Would like to ask if this is like steaming egg custard/chawanmushi? Usually I do not steam with closed lid to avoid holes in the custard. Do we have to do that for this recipe? Do we have to strain the mixture? How long can it be stored in the fridge? Sorry, so many questions. :p

All That Matters
kwansm
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reirei wrote:
Hi, thanks for sharing the recipe. Would like to ask if this is like steaming egg custard/chawanmushi? Usually I do not steam with closed lid to avoid holes in the custard. Do we have to do that for this recipe? Do we have to strain the mixture? How long can it be stored in the fridge? Sorry, so many questions. :p

Good questions.
Yes, on my first try, I did notice small little holes in the custard, when steaming with high heat. On second try, I used low-medium heat, this time it has marked improvement. But I never try the egg custard/chawanmushi method. Try and let us know.

No need to strain the mixture.

As with all tofu, you can store at most 3 days conservatively.
small cookie
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Eggs & Tofu Dishes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: