Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Chilli and Wine Prawns(rec n pic)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Chilli and Wine Prawns(rec n pic) Reply with quote

Serves 5 persons
Ingredients
1 kg King prawns
100ml Bai mi jiu(or any good white wine)

1 medium red onion, sliced
1 bunch of coriander leaves and stalks, chopped

sauce : mix together
5 tbsp chilli sauce(I used Maggi chilli sauce)
juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp sugar
100 ml water

Method
1. Marinate prawns in wine for 1 hour.
2. Heat up wok with 1 tbsp corn oil and add onions to fry till soft
3. Add sauce and stir till boiling
4. Add prawns first to fry till its cooked..over high fire for 3 to 5 mins.
5. Lastly pour in the wine marinate and coriander stalks,leaves, stir for about 1 min.
6. Turn off fire and serve with rice..

Notes
the Wine compliments chilli sauce so this can be enjoyed with kids who cannot or doesn't like hot spicy stuff.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
geri06
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Gina

I did this dish and would like to ask you if I have done anything drastically wrong Smile because it tastes weird with very heavy wine aftertaste.

These are the things I did different.

(1) Tiger prawns instead of King prawns

(2) 100ml of Shao xing jiu instead of 100ml Bai mi jiu (suspect they cannot be interchangeable?)

(3) juice from 1 lemon --> I squeezed 2 halves of lemon into the mixture directly and pick out the seeds with spoon. Does it affect the taste because some of the pulp went inside?

(4) I marinated the prawns for 4 hours!!! instead of 1 hour. I thought they are like meat, the longer u marinate the better it tastes.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geri06 wrote:
HI Gina

I did this dish and would like to ask you if I have done anything drastically wrong Smile because it tastes weird with very heavy wine aftertaste.

These are the things I did different.

(1) Tiger prawns instead of King prawns

(2) 100ml of Shao xing jiu instead of 100ml Bai mi jiu (suspect they cannot be interchangeable?)

(3) juice from 1 lemon --> I squeezed 2 halves of lemon into the mixture directly and pick out the seeds with spoon. Does it affect the taste because some of the pulp went inside?

(4) I marinated the prawns for 4 hours!!! instead of 1 hour. I thought they are like meat, the longer u marinate the better it tastes.

Hi geri

my answers to your questions:

Its okay to use tiger prawns. only need to make sure its sea prawns(black shell). Kelong prawns will have great effect on taste and flavour. If you buy prawns from market, can ask the fish monger. Sea prawns are more expensive than kelong prawns.

Shao xing jiu is more sour than sweet. Bai mi jiu is sweet. Especially if its home made. If you get a good quality brand of bai mi jiu, the prawns will taste a bit like Drunken prawns but milder.

The purpose of the lemons was to mellow down the prawns fishy smell. If you use sea prawns.

With seafood, marinating in wine is kept at 1 hour the most. Any longer, it will be very 'drunken' in flavour. I know there is a Shanghainese restaurant in Bukit Timah that soaks the prawns overnight. I have tasted that and found it too strong in wine. Although my colleagues who are heavy drinkers loved it. So this is why I stated to soak for only 1 hour.

If you soak the prawns for 8 hours or more, you can literally eat it RAW!! That was how the restaurants served it. But I don't like..its like eating wine.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
geri06
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina! Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it! It makes sense now Smile
zermatt-gal
lurker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Food Reply with quote

This dish looks interesting. Have you ever tried using red wine or herbal wine instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Asian Seafood All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: