Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Whipped cream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennz
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Whipped cream Reply with quote

Have tried unsuccessful after several attempts to do the whipping cream for cake icing. I use the UHT whipping cream (from Cold storage) and caster sugar but the whipped cream simply will not stiffen or form stiff peaks. Tried to whipped for 45 mins (with short breaks) during the last attempt but still no successful. Can anyone advise me on what went wrong??
Yaha
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennz,

what is the fat content of the whipping cream you bought ? Which brand ?

You need min 35% fat content for whipping cream and the cream must be thoroughly chilled before whipping.
jennz
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fat content is 35.1%. It's the President brand UHT whipping cream (small packet). I've also tried the Greenfields (big packet) from cold storage but also unsuccessful. How long does it usually take to whip the cream and what are the ingredients?
Yaha
lurker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually whipped without any sugar. Takes around 15mins or so, I think. It also depends how much you are whipping and the machine I don't normally timed, I watched it carefully.

What mixer you are using ? I'm using Kenwood Chef at medium high speed.
jennz
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the first few times, I used a mixer that was pretty old and it "konked off" after the whipping. Just bought a Philip mixer but couldn't whip as well. The whipped cream actually thickens a bit but after that becomes lumpy and yellowish. My neighbour told me that I have to continue to whip (she uses hand whisk) but my attempts are still not successful. I only use 100ml whip cream each time. Is it too little?
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennz wrote:
For the first few times, I used a mixer that was pretty old and it "konked off" after the whipping. Just bought a Philip mixer but couldn't whip as well. The whipped cream actually thickens a bit but after that becomes lumpy and yellowish. My neighbour told me that I have to continue to whip (she uses hand whisk) but my attempts are still not successful. I only use 100ml whip cream each time. Is it too little?

I think you might have overbeat it thats why you get lumpy and yellowish. Once you see the cream thickens you should stop. Alternatively switch 'pour n whip' in a blue tetra pack. This is non-dairy and it is easier to whip. Whipping of cream should not take more than 15mins. For me it is usually about 5mins or less depending on the mixer i use. The cream should be cold then it can be whipped better and easier. Try to use a little bit more so that you can see the results better.
jennz
lurker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the cream thickened, it didn't form stiff peaks and the quantity was certainly not enough for icing a whole cake. I usually whip the cream that was taken directly from the fridge.

What's " 'pour n whip' in a blue tetra pack"? Is it another brand? Can I can it from the supermarkets?

So do I whip the cream without sugar first? When do i add in the sugar?
zurynee
Kitchen Hand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennz wrote:
What's " 'pour n whip' in a blue tetra pack"? Is it another brand? Can I can it from the supermarkets?

So do I whip the cream without sugar first? When do i add in the sugar?

Yes it is another brand and it's non-dairy. You can get it at supermarket esp cold storage. Shop & Save sometimes they have it. You can add abit of icing sugar then you whip it. I have never tried using caster sugar with my whipping cream. The most is that I use icing sugar.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharing from experience...

if you use Dairy whipping cream, make sure everything is cold. Including the bowl. What I do is to put the bowl with cream in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Then whip it at high speed. I add icing sugar to sweeten it slightly.

When we use that Chef Secrets, the studio is cold as its fully air con..it whips up fast and peaks easily.

when I do it at home, I usually do this at night when the kitchen is cooler. In the day time, my kitchen temperature is 33C! I would often whip the cream at night, then store in the fridge in a container and use it the next day.

I am using a KitchenAid mixer and whip at mid level : 6(the mark) for only 5 mins.

If I use non Dairy Whipping Cream, its faster..at about 2 to 3 mins, its whipped till peaks.

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1
vegiemite
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jennz

You might want to add 1/4 teaspoon of meringue powder (dried egg white) into your cream before whipping to act as a stabiliser.

With whipping cream, also use icing sugar ( as recommended by Gina) and not caster sugar.

Hope it helps.

Ange
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cake Decorations 101 All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: