Kitchen Capers Forum Index Kitchen Capers
People learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Back to Kitchen Capers Home
Healing a sore throat with Chrysanthemum Flowers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cocktails and Drinks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Healing a sore throat with Chrysanthemum Flowers Reply with quote

I shared this recipe at another Made-in-Singapore forum (www.moms4moms.org) where I used to surf. As I am not a person who drinks honey water or takes it by the spoonful like taking medicine..I used it for cooking/baking, and to make other drinks.

Last week, my daughter Melody and myself had a terrible sore throat. I went to the chinese medicinal hall to buy Grade A Chysanthemum Flowers(dried) and i used the honey to make this drink. I drank 3 glasses of this. By night fall, my sore throat disappeared completely.

Here's the simple recipe to boil this refreshing sore throat healing drink.

Ingredients:
200 g Grade A Chysanthemum Flowers
half cup of honey
1 litre water

Method:
1. Boil water in a large pot.
2. Add dried flowers and simmer for 20 mins
3. Switch off the fire/stove.
4. Add honey finally.
5. Stir to mix and melt honey in it.
6. Strained and remove flowers.
7. Store drink in the fridge. You might want to add more water to make it less sweet.
8. Drink at least 3 full glasses each day.

Notes:
Grade A is not a brand. Just that the flowers are not overly freeze dried until its turns dark yellow. The dried flowers smells great after boiling and smells like fresh Chrysanthemum flowers you buy from the florist to display at home.

additional notes**
I always add 20ml of cold water plus 60ml of Chrysanthemum honey drink to mix before drinking it. Coz I find it rather sweet.

I find this Grade A of Chrysanthemum flowers to taste better than the pressed ones we often get. Of course, I never over boil it for more than 20 mins. without honey, the liquid is pale yellow and when you strained the flowers, the liquid is just liquid.

But when I use the common grade of Chrysanthemum, there is always a table spoonful of sand and particles at the bottle of the pot!

Gina

The Lord is my Shepherd. I have EVERYTHING I need. Psalms 23:1

Last edited by Gina on Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcheng
lurker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

Where in Singapore can we buy these Grade A Chrysanthemum Flowers? I would really like to get hold of some.

Thank you.
________
no2 vaporizer

Last edited by jcheng on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcheng

In Singapore, you can get them from Hock Hua Ginseng shop. they have stores all over singapore. If not, most medicinal hall in Chinatown will carry them too. I just run out of my pack of Chrysanthemum Flowers. When I go and replendish them next week, I let you know how much it costs per 100gm.

Gina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: flowers Reply with quote

Just tell the person I want grade A chrysanthemum?
Marmalade
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gina...

Questions from me too. How do I store these chrysanthemum flowers (uncooked) once I have purchased them and how long can they last?
jcheng
lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your quick response, Gina. Very Happy

jcheng
________
[URL=http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_LTD_(Australia)]LTD (Australia)[/URL]

Last edited by jcheng on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcheng

no problem at all. You know you can always write to me via email. As some of the members here are Singaporeans, they RANG me on my mobile and ask me too. Don't worry about that. Appreciate that I can help in any way.

Gina

Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
Gina...

Questions from me too. How do I store these chrysanthemum flowers (uncooked) once I have purchased them and how long can they last?

Shirin

in the fridge for upto 1 year or even longer. As these are preserved. What i have done was to store them in plastic containers and kept them in the fridge. When I am ready to use them, I take the amount I needed and use it.

Grade A is not a brand. Just that its the better quality than the usual grade.

Gina

stedfast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone knows can chrysanthemum flowers reduce phlegm? My hubby is having throat infection and has thick phlegm.

Many thanks.
Gina
super Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi stedfast,

you cannot cure 2 different aliments using the same drink. The chrysanthemum flowers and honey is mainly for curing Sore Throats..to soothe it so you won't cough so much and thus irritates the already very sore throat.

Once the throat heals, then you can try to get rid of the phelgm.

usually sore throat and phelgm do not happen together. its often that you have sore throat first then phelgm comes after that. I am not a doctor. I cannot tell you why and how. I am just quoting from past experiences.

I find that the best way to be rid of phelgm is to drink lots of water. Even the GP tells me the same thing. unless the phelgm is so thick till turns Greenish..then you need medication to disperse it. When phelgm is white and gooey, the GP said its on the way to recovery and I should continue my water drinking routine.

Mind you, I have not seen the GP since I quit my job in June 2003. Other than that high fever I had in Dec 2003. It was 40 deg C. I was worried that I had Dengue Fever. But thankfully, it wasn't.

Whenever i get a sore throat, i make this drink and drink it daily. Then the sore throat heals. I don't get cough or flu because I continue with the water drinking routine and observe a healthy lifestyle.

but my hubby is not very healthy..he coughs alot and has lots of phelgm. I had to nag him like his mother to drink water daily. He drinks only when he is thirsty and not a routine of 8 glasses a day.

Gina

stedfast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina for your advise.
West Life
lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For normal HangZhou chrysanthemums, I usually soak in water for 5 minutes first before boiling. DO I need to do this for Grade A one?
Christinatan
lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gina,

I made this drink yesterday using your recipe. However, when i used 100g of chrysanthemum flowers to 1 litre of water, I realised the chrysanthemum flowers actually soaked up most of the water. I ended up adding more water and the end result was very dark and bitter.

Your recipe mentioned 200g. Would this be too much?

Thanks
Christina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitchen Capers Forum Index -> Cocktails and Drinks All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: