Joined: 27 Jul 2007
|Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 am Post subject: Tsukune (chicken meatballs)
For Dewitan and those who are interested in making these at home. You can grill them as stated in the recipe or you can pan fry them as patties.
For meat balls :
300g Chicken, remove skin and fats, deboned and minced (I used drumsticks, thigh and breast meat)
1/4 White Onion, chopped finely (optional)
2 Eggs, medium sized
1/2 Tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Plain Flour
1 Tbsp Corn Flour
7 tbsp bread crumbs (panko)
1 inch section of ginger, grated and extract juice
For sauce たれ ：
4 Tbsp Sake
5 Tbsp Shoyu
2 Tbsp Mirin
2 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp corn flour
2 Tsp water
1. Soak skewer in water before preparing ingredients.
2. Mix all ingredients for meat balls in a bowl and set aside for 20 minutes.
3. In a pot, add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Wet your hands and shape the meat balls into desired size and drop them into boiling water.
4. Cook for about 7 minutes or when the meatballs float to the surface. Remove and drain.
5. Preheat oven to 200 deg.C. When meatballs are cool to touch, skewer them, 3 to 4 balls in 1 stick. Grill the meatballs, turning them after 4 to 5 minutes. Brush the sauce and grill. Repeat process at least twice. Remove and serve with shichimi (七味) powder or serve as is.
Note : I used a mixture of chicken drumstick, thigh and breast meat. If preferred, you can use only breast meat but the texture will be drier.
"If you understand everything, you must be misinformed" -- Japanese Proverb
All That Matters